Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    But it was a pretty big win and it took an entire movie to undo it.
    Do you want them to do that for every villain going forward? If not then what point are you making?

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

Kang quickly began one of my favorite villains recently but it sucks to see people insult Kang because he's not as cool as Doom. I want to see more of him, and did the Majors stuff ever actually meet a consensus in the first place?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Negative Zone View Post
    Kang quickly began one of my favorite villains recently but it sucks to see people insult Kang because he's not as cool as Doom. I want to see more of him, and did the Majors stuff ever actually meet a consensus in the first place?
    Honestly, I've always regarded Kang as cooler than Doom.

Kang does it for the sheer thrill of conquest.

Kang and Doom both work as they are.
    Quote Originally Posted by HollowSage View Post
    Do you want them to do that for every villain going forward? If not then what point are you making?
    That wasn't what I was saying. I think there are ways for villains to have a bigger impact even if they don't succeed in the end, though also there are degrees with certain villains.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by HollowSage View Post
    Are you really blaming Kang losing in Quantumania for the performance of movies and tv shows that he isn’t even in?

Also, all villains lose. That’s what they do because the story demands it. Thanos “won” temporarily until the Avengers did what heroes do and find a way to win.
    Difference is that Thanos' big loss was the end of his story and unlike every other villain, he did get a win at one point. Thanos was set up as the shadowy figure behind the first Avengers film, then was this powerful dude who even his lieutants could be main villains like in the Guardians films, and was always lurking as the ever present threat. Then when he came to the forefront had the biggest film up to that point where he essentially beat the entire MCU despite multiple plots all converging to stop him. Then his final film was the heroes going through the ringer and breaking the timeline to undo what he did so they could fix everything and then the main hero of the entire MCU had to sacrafice himself to take Thanos out with the most powerful weapon in the universe.

If Thanos ended up being revived or popped up in another film, it would be a holy **** moment because the audience is conditioned to think that he's near unbeatable and it would take another hero dying and a weapon that is near impossible for the heroes to get.

Yeah it took a lot, but Kang got beat in his very first film. I get it, there are other variants. But that's kinda one of the reasons I never really cared much for Kang. The heroes can keep beating him, but it never feels like there is progress because there's always another variant around the corner.

The next time Kang pops up, audiences will still think that he can be beaten by some heroic efforts of the heroes and then another one will just pop up later.

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    Difference is that Thanos' big loss was the end of his story and unlike every other villain, he did get a win at one point. Thanos was set up as the shadowy figure behind the first Avengers film, then was this powerful dude who even his lieutants could be main villains like in the Guardians films, and was always lurking as the ever present threat. Then when he came to the forefront had the biggest film up to that point where he essentially beat the entire MCU despite multiple plots all converging to stop him. Then his final film was the heroes going through the ringer and breaking the timeline to undo what he did so they could fix everything and then the main hero of the entire MCU had to sacrafice himself to take Thanos out with the most powerful weapon in the universe.

If Thanos ended up being revived or popped up in another film, it would be a holy **** moment because the audience is conditioned to think that he's near unbeatable and it would take another hero dying and a weapon that is near impossible for the heroes to get.

Yeah it took a lot, but Kang got beat in his very first film. I get it, there are other variants. But that's kinda one of the reasons I never really cared much for Kang. The heroes can keep beating him, but it never feels like there is progress because there's always another variant around the corner.

The next time Kang pops up, audiences will still think that he can be beaten by some heroic efforts of the heroes and then another one will just pop up later.
    And the Council of Kang was...whatever they were at the end of Quantumania.

Quote Originally Posted by Maestro 216 View Post
    He still lost and to the casual audience that's all that mattered. Look at the MCU since then failuress mostly.
    Kang looses. That seems to be all he does- comes in strong, then looses. The hook is that his dopplegangers learn from those defeats and he comes back stronger.

The Council of Kangs knew that the Exile had been destroyed. They will learn the details, and put in place countermeasures to ensure that won't happen again. It will be up to the heroes to find a new way to defeat him.

Let me put this another way- the villain ultimately looses in almost every superhero movie. Infinity War the the exception- outside of that, audiences have been trained to know that the villain will be defeated by the hero(es) by the end of the film. The only real outlier outside of Infinity War that I can think of is The Dark Knight. Batman did defeat Joker and Two-Face, but it ended up being a very hollow victory.

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    The only time Thanos looked like a true threat was in Infinity War and Endgame. In the first Avengers, he was a cameo that some people didn't even know who he was. In Guardians, he talked a big game, but that was all. Ronan ended up ignoring him and taking the Power stone for himself. In Guardians 2, he was just seen putting on a glove. But he didn't feel like a legitimate threat until Infinity War.

It's basically like the Tallman from phantasm he gets killed over and over but another one takes he's place doesn't mean the tall man is weak or can't win as a matter of fact he always wins I can see the same thing happening with Kang.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    Kang looses. That seems to be all he does- comes in strong, then looses. The hook is that his dopplegangers learn from those defeats and he comes back stronger.

The Council of Kangs knew that the Exile had been destroyed. They will learn the details, and put in place countermeasures to ensure that won't happen again. It will be up to the heroes to find a new way to defeat him.

Let me put this another way- the villain ultimately looses in almost every superhero movie. Infinity War the the exception- outside of that, audiences have been trained to know that the villain will be defeated by the hero(es) by the end of the film. The only real outlier outside of Infinity War that I can think of is The Dark Knight. Batman did defeat Joker and Two-Face, but it ended up being a very hollow victory.
    I guess now it's just a matter of execution, but it doesn't seem like there's enough enthusiasm as there was building up to even Infinity War.

The only time Thanos looked like a true threat was in Infinity War and Endgame. In the first Avengers, he was a cameo that some people didn't even know who he was. In Guardians, he talked a big game, but that was all. Ronan ended up ignoring him and taking the Power stone for himself. In Guardians 2, he was just seen putting on a glove. But he didn't feel like a legitimate threat until Infinity War.

Which is why they should have done Avengers: Under Siege
    Make it a 2 parter with all the B team(Which they are making now) Get squashed by Zemo and his squad of Masters of Evil. Heck, you could even try to stretch it into a trilogy. Though that may be tough. 2 parter is better. And in Part two have the core Avengers and maybe some new friends, come and smack down the Masters of Evil. Overall I think the Avengers have been in Space too much. It's time to keep them on Earth and battle the rise of domestic villains. Might be easier on the budget too...

Quote Originally Posted by krazijoe View Post
    Make it a 2 parter with all the B team(Which they are making now) Get squashed by Zemo and his squad of Masters of Evil. Heck, you could even try to stretch it into a trilogy. Though that may be tough. 2 parter is better. And in Part two have the core Avengers and maybe some new friends, come and smack down the Masters of Evil. Overall I think the Avengers have been in Space too much. It's time to keep them on Earth and battle the rise of domestic villains. Might be easier on the budget too...
    Then you could have done a legit Thunderbolts movie instead of Black Widow 2.5 or discount Suicide Squad.

Quote Originally Posted by krazijoe View Post
    Love this idea! Though the title makes me think it should star Steven Seagal.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Love this idea! Though the title makes me think it should star Steven Seagal.
    As long as Erika Eleniak pops out of a cake! I think I broke my VHS from rew and pause on that movie...

Problem is Marvel is now in a rut and creative issues with their films. Not even getting into the trials with Majors court case. They can't wait forever to finally spring Kang winning for people to care. Goodwill is gone...

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Then you could have done a legit Thunderbolts movie instead of Black Widow 2.5 or discount Suicide Squad.
    Honestly, they wouldn't even need to use former villains if they wanted to get the gist of the Thunderbolts.

A bunch of second stringers, also rans and science experiment cast offs stepping up and into the shoes of the Avengers? I'd watch that.

The current Thunderbolt team reminds me of the CW's Legends of Tomorrow. Basically, they hired some actors to play big roles and then realized that they needed to do something with the characters just to keep the characters around for later.