Thread: chloe sullivan

Default chloe sullivan

I always loved chloe sullivan on Smallville do you think we will ever see her again play by someone else of course or perhaps in the comics or TV show? Or do you think chloe sullivan has too much baggage with the awful NXIVM stuff?

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    I always loved chloe sullivan on Smallville do you think we will ever see her again play by someone else of course or perhaps in the comics or TV show? Or do you think chloe sullivan has too much baggage with the awful NXIVM stuff?
    Too much baggage.

Astonishing Member

Not sure if it is the actress baggage as much as time moved on without anyone picking the character up. In most non-Smallville takes Lana is pretty much the same character as Chloe combined with being the romantic interest. If Chloe had gotten more than a few brief mentions on the comics or had been an active character in any of the Superman media, maybe she'd develop into a more remembered part of the mythos, but as it stands she'll most likely be a footnote or a Jeopardy question if she'd remembered at all.

Not really.

Looking back on Smallville, I think Chloe ultimately took away from other characters. In the comics, Lana was the reporter and Clark's love interest and Pete was his confidant. Having Chloe around took away from the niche that these characters traditionally filled. On the show they couldn't even have Lois be a full on nosy reporter because Chloe was filling that role and it's only after she moved to being 'the Watchtower' that Lois was finally allowed to be Lois in full.

Back in the day, I thought Chloe would work better in a Green Arrow book. But post Arrow it would be better to go with someone like Felicity if you want a tech geek/hacker character.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Not really.

Looking back on Smallville, I think Chloe ultimately took away from other characters. In the comics, Lana was the reporter and Clark's love interest and Pete was his confidant. Having Chloe around took away from the niche that these characters traditionally filled. On the show they couldn't even have Lois be a full on nosy reporter because Chloe was filling that role and it's only after she moved to being 'the Watchtower' that Lois was finally allowed to be Lois in full.

Back in the day, I thought Chloe would work better in a Green Arrow book. But post Arrow it would be better to go with someone like Felicity if you want a tech geek/hacker character.
    When was Lana ever a reporter?

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    When was Lana ever a reporter?
    I think it was in a Superman novel...and I think she also worked at like a broadcasting network with Clark.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think it was in a Superman novel...and I think she also worked at like a broadcasting network with Clark.
    She did, Lana was Clark's co-anchor pre-Crisis.

Lana was a TV anchor in the Bronze Age.

---

If Chloe hasn't caught on to the comics by now, I say let her fade away.

Retired

As an adult, Lana Lang's first gig as a reporter is in SUPERMAN 78 (September-October 1952)--3rd story, "The Girls in Superman's Life." In SHOWCASE 9 (July-August 1957)--1st story,"The Girl in Superman's Past"--she gets a job doing commercials for station WXR. By SUPERMAN'S GIRL FRIEND, LOIS LANE 7 (February 1959)--3rd story,"The Girl Who Stole Superman"--Lana is on the bum and Lois helps her out, finding her a temp job on the Planet as a photographer. As of issue 11, Lana Lang has written a novel. And the following issue, 12 (October 1959), she's landed a job doing a practical joke T.V. program--3rd story, "Lois Lane Loves Clark Kent." Lana gets another job writing for the Planet in issue 17 (May 1960)--1st story, "Lana Lang, Superwoman." Finally, in SUPERMAN'S GIRL FRIEND, LOIS LANE 21 (November 1960)--2nd story, "The Battle Between Super-Lois and Super-Lana"--Lana Lang is now established as a T.V. news reporter--the station is WMET-TV. She remains at WMET until 1971, when she goes over to work for WGBS, where she sometimes fills in for Clark on the six o'clock newscast. Soon after that, Morgan Edge sends her to work for their Europe bureau. When she returns state side, in SUPERMAN 317 (November 1977)--"The Killer with the Heart of Steel"--she becomes the WGBS co-anchor with Clark (and also becomes a co-producer). Which is how things stood by 1986, when she got cancelled.

Meanwhile, in various Superboy stories, young Lana was shown working on the town paper and on the school paper, alongside Clark. She also sometimes joined her father--when she was both a teen and an adult--assisting Professor Lewis Lang, who pretended to be an archaeologist, but he really just stole priceless artefacts for the glory without following the proper protocol for excavating ancient sites. And young Lana (Insect Queen) was also an honourary member of the Legion of Super-Heroes, helping them in some perilous adventures.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I think it's best to just let her go at this point. The baggage is just too much. But I will say that even before the Allison Mack stuff came out, it's not like the character was being used in other media. She barely made an appearance in the comics pre-Flashpoint and even after Rebirth she was just kind of ignored. I think she's too tied to the Smallville show to be used outside of it now. I think the window of opportunity to uncouple her from the show has passed. She'll always be a side character at this point. An Easter egg that writers can put in as a reference. But I don't think they'll find much use for her in the larger context. I think that new YA book that came out makes a reference to her but I have no idea how big a role she plays in it. Either way, I don't see her having a big role in the future.
    Assassinate Putin!

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Honestly, what does the character add?

It's cool she was in a TV show for a decade, but really what would she add to the comics? Clark's Smallville time is rarely touched upon, and when it is it's pretty much the Kents, Lana and occasionally Lex if his time in Smallville is canon this month. Where is her place?

DC couldn't bring Felicity Smoak into Green Arrow comics successfully while the show was on air (or shortly after) and I'd argue she could serve more of a role than Chloe ever could.

And that's before taking into account that Allison Mack is a fucking monster.

DC need to just forget Chloe and actually use the underserved characters they already have.
    Last edited by exile001; 11-14-2023 at 03:48 AM.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!