Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Denzel Washington Plays Hannibal in new Netflix film

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/new...e976edc89&ei=9

I wonder is this separate from that project that Vin Diesel had been teasing for years? In any case, I hope this project with Washington is very successful.

According to the official logline, the movie is "based on real-life warrior Hannibal, who is widely regarded as one of the greatest military commanders in history. The film covers the pivotal battles he led against the Roman Republic during the Second Punic War."

Hannibal invaded Italy while riding a Northern African war elephant. Under his lead, the Cart*****ians won key victories against the Romans, allowing Hannibal to occupy the majority of southern Italy for 15 years. Eventually, Hannibal was defeated by the Romans at the Battle of Zama after they counter-invaded North Africa.
    Washington produces the film alongside Erik Olsen, Adam Goldworm and Fuqua via his Hill District Media's first-look deal with Netflix.

Fuqua most recently directed Washington in the action-thriller "The Equalizer 3," in which Washington reprised his role as ex-Marine Robert McCall.

Niffleheim

It's streaming he is going to get his money upfront so it's all up to whatever metric Netflix deems a success
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/new...e976edc89&ei=9

I wonder is this separate from that project that Vin Diesel had been teasing for years? In any case, I hope this project with Washington is very successful.
    ^^^Damn, Diesel’s been wanting to play Hannibal for YEARS now (and I’ve wanted to see how it turned out).
    Still, Denzel as this character could be pretty interesting!

But Hannibal looks nothing like Diesel did he?

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    Obviously as a semitic Cart*****ian he would have looked exactly like a modern day African-American like Denzel m

Also, what’s going on with the censorship of Carthage? Either one of the mods is a Roman Senator, or we have an instance of the Scunthorpe problem.

^^^Prob. didn’t look like Denzel either.

NOBODY looks like Denzel…

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    Obviously as a semitic Cart*****ian he would have looked exactly like a modern day African-American like Denzel m

Also, what’s going on with the censorship of Carthage? Either one of the mods is a Roman Senator, or we have an instance of the Scunthorpe problem.
    Looks like the site censors the letter sequence h a g e n ... although I'm at a loss as to why it would do that.
    Take my dreams, childish and weak at the seams
    Please don't analyze, please just be there for me

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Most likely not. Hannibal was a citizen of a Phoenician colony which had its center in what is now Lebanon, and even the indigenous population(the Berbers) are fairly light skinned.

At the end of the day though it's a piece of fiction so the actual ancestry hardly matters as long as the story is entertaining.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

The only issue I have is that Hannibal was thirty when the second punic war began.

Granted wars have always aged people, and this was no less true over two thousand years ago.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Most likely not. Hannibal was a citizen of a Phoenician colony which had its center in what is now Lebanon, and even the indigenous population(the Berbers) are fairly light skinned.

At the end of the day though it's a piece of fiction so the actual ancestry hardly matters as long as the story is entertaining.
    Some berbers at that time of Hannibal like today would be dark skin as well.

Extraordinary Member

This video talks about what race Hannibal was,black or brown?and some talk about the berbers etc..
    Was Hannibal Barca Black?
    Last edited by mace11; 11-14-2023 at 09:37 AM.

Fantastic Member

Washington and Fuqua know how to make magic together, so I'm expecting this to be another successful venture. I liked Fuqua's Emancipation (w/Will Smith), despite some issues I took with the history and the third act. Fuqua is a skilled action director and it will be neat to see his take on big battle scenes.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    Some berbers at that time of Hannibal like today would be dark skin as well.
    They're definitely not monolithic, so there is room for interpretation, especially so considering how obscured he is by the sands of time so to speak. And again, this is a film meant to entertain so that further allows for more artistic expression, so no reason for anyone to be upset over the choice.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    They're definitely not monolithic, so there is room for interpretation, especially so considering how obscured he is by the sands of time so to speak. And again, this is a film meant to entertain so that further allows for more artistic expression, so no reason for anyone to be upset over the choice.
    now now thwhtGuardian don't be a spoiler this is good culture war content
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Denzel is a great actor, a great filmmaker himself, and IMO always seemed like a straight shooter tell it like it is and no B.S.

I'm a history Buff and a fan of both Rome and Carthage and a big fan of Hannibal. This isn't a historical figure where we know his racial makeup for a 100% there is room for conjecture, so I have no issue with Denzel in the role and look forward to this.