Always Rakzo

Default Speed Force #1 Discussion/Spoilers

First of all, is great to see an idea that was forgotten for so long is finally reappearing. For those who don't know, a Speed Force book has been teased for more than a decade ago way back at the beginning of Geoff Johns' second Flash run but unfortunately, the constant continuity and editorial changes at DC didn't let those plans come to fruition. Fortunately, The Flash franchise is at a healthy stage right now so they are allowed to exploit such popularity with a few of the characters who have been created over the years and personally I'm glad that both Wallace West and Avery Ho have been chosen as the protagonists since they have proven to be entertaining characters and they have been missing in other books for a while.

UNFORTUNATELY, I have to say that I wish they starred in a better written book because this leaves a lot to be desired so far.

Let's start with the positives, which are not many sadly. First of all, I already mentioned that I like that Wallace and Avery are here so that's good in and of itself but is great to see other young heroes like Roundhouse (who didn't have the best appearances since the end of Adam Glass' Teen Titans) and we even see others like Mas y Menos who I guess have some potential.

Yep, character appearances are pretty much where the positives end since there are many flaws in the writing itself. Let's talk about the dialogue first, is just bad, like really bad, it seems like Jarret Williams is trying very, very hard to make both Wallace and Avery sound like kids but he only achieves to deliver some of the cringiest lines I have seen recently, is just such a forced "young" dialogue that it seems extremely unnatural.

Oh, but if you think that's only a me problem then think again because the bad dialogue is not only from a young perspective but also from trying to write other languages. Williams sadly commits the mistake that many writers make by believing they can write Spanish dialogue just by using Google Translate and so every scene in which Mas y Menos appear there are a bunch of nonsensical lines that barely resemble their actual meaning in Spanish (and is even worse considering that Avery supposedly got the ability to properly speak Spanish).

About the story, it moves at a rather erratic pace and the plot itself is not that interesting since there's very little to catch your attention and it only limits itself to add characters from the DC cartoons to add some variety.

Daniele Di Nicuolo's artwork can be energetic at least although the style itself can look a little rough at times.

Overall, I can't recommend this and is a damn shame honestly.

Yeah, Avery's Spanish needs some work and it kinda took me out

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    First of all, is great to see an idea that was forgotten for so long is finally reappearing. For those who don't know, a Speed Force book has been teased for more than a decade ago way back at the beginning of Geoff Johns' second Flash run but unfortunately, the constant continuity and editorial changes at DC didn't let those plans come to fruition. Fortunately, The Flash franchise is at a healthy stage right now so they are allowed to exploit such popularity with a few of the characters who have been created over the years and personally I'm glad that both Wallace West and Avery Ho have been chosen as the protagonists since they have proven to be entertaining characters and they have been missing in other books for a while.

UNFORTUNATELY, I have to say that I wish they starred in a better written book because this leaves a lot to be desired so far.

Let's start with the positives, which are not many sadly. First of all, I already mentioned that I like that Wallace and Avery are here so that's good in and of itself but is great to see other young heroes like Roundhouse (who didn't have the best appearances since the end of Adam Glass' Teen Titans) and we even see others like Mas y Menos who I guess have some potential.

Yep, character appearances are pretty much where the positives end since there are many flaws in the writing itself. Let's talk about the dialogue first, is just bad, like really bad, it seems like Jarret Williams is trying very, very hard to make both Wallace and Avery sound like kids but he only achieves to deliver some of the cringiest lines I have seen recently, is just such a forced "young" dialogue that it seems extremely unnatural.

Oh, but if you think that's only a me problem then think again because the bad dialogue is not only from a young perspective but also from trying to write other languages. Williams sadly commits the mistake that many writers make by believing they can write Spanish dialogue just by using Google Translate and so every scene in which Mas y Menos appear there are a bunch of nonsensical lines that barely resemble their actual meaning in Spanish (and is even worse considering that Avery supposedly got the ability to properly speak Spanish).

About the story, it moves at a rather erratic pace and the plot itself is not that interesting since there's very little to catch your attention and it only limits itself to add characters from the DC cartoons to add some variety.

Daniele Di Nicuolo's artwork can be energetic at least although the style itself can look a little rough at times.

Overall, I can't recommend this and is a damn shame honestly.
    I enjoyed it for what it was, but I definitely agree with the dialogue sounding like an adult trying waaay too hard to use hip youthful slang. Even when I was a kid, I hated when writers did that.

It also bothered me that they dropped the Ace nickname and went back to calling him Wallace.

I enjoyed the first issue. I liked seeing them hanging out with Jon just being friends. The youthful dialogue didn't bother me as much as other attempts I've seen and I don't speak Spanish, so I didn't notice those parts being bad. And the more manga-esque art with its energy and expressions fit the tone for me, especially for two speedster heroes. I also liked the groundwork being laid for the villain and what seems to be a fun update to their MO.

I'd say this is a fun and energetic spotlight on two characters you wouldn't have expected to headline a title, so I'll def be back for #2.

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    I enjoyed it for what it was, but I definitely agree with the dialogue sounding like an adult trying waaay too hard to use hip youthful slang. Even when I was a kid, I hated when writers did that.

It also bothered me that they dropped the Ace nickname and went back to calling him Wallace.
    I've always called him Wallace .

Btw, it's also cringey sometimes when young people try to use modern slang to be cool, it's not just when older people try to seem young.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

I like the use of lower known characters here.

I got a friend who's a huge fan of Mas y Menos and they lit absolutely lit up when I told them that the 2 are in this and actually relevant to the plot.