Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow Movie

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...9da6937cf0601a

Ana Nogueira, the actress and playwright who is now making forays into screenwriting, has been tapped to pen Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow, a standalone feature centered on the Kryptonian cousin of Superman being developed by DC Studios.

No director is attached and Nogueira’s deal only recently closed.

The project is actually a redo for Nogueira. The writer was quietly hired to pen a Supergirl movie in 2022 when Warner Bros. was developing the project as a spinoff of The Flash, then in post-production. Flash featured Sasha Calle as the heroine and the hope was to launch another DC film franchise.

Those hopes were seemingly dashed when Gunn and Safran were brought in to oversee a reorganized DC arm. That project was tossed as the new execs focused on creating a brand new slate, separate from former DC Films boss Walter Hamada’s vision. Early this year, Supergirl was revealed to be part of that slate as a project without any connection to the Flash movie. Rather it was now connected, in title and story, to a comic book mini-series written by Tom King that was published in 2021 and 2022 and sought to redefine the character as something more than just a girl version of Superman.

“Superman is a guy sent to Earth and raised by loving parents, where Supergirl in this story, she is a character raised on a chunk of Krypton,” Gunn explained in a video released on Twitter at the time. “She watched everybody around her perish in some terrible way, so she’s a much more jaded character.”

The comic featured Kara Zor-El, aka Supergirl, who, along with superdog Krypto, gets caught up in a young alien girl’s galaxy-spanning revenge quest. DC Studios is keeping the project’s plot under wraps.

Gunn and Safran liked the work Nogueira had done on the previous Supergirl project and quietly brought her back, even giving her an overall DC writing deal.

Nogueira may be best known for a stint on CW’s The Vampire Diaries, with acting credits including The Michael J. Fox Show and The Blacklist. But she has also built a thriving writing career. Her play Which Way to the Stage debuted off-Broadway in 2022 and she is working on an adaptation of author Alice Sola Kim’s short story Mothers, Lock Up Your Daughters, set up at Warners with 21 Laps producing.

She is repped by CAA, Howard Green Entertainment, and Goodman Genow.
    Figured we should give this it’s own thread. Looks like Gunn is moving fast on this, probably wants to spin it out of Legacy.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Sci-Fi True Grit coming to screens near you .

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

James Gunn: "A hearty public welcome to Ana Nogueira to the DC Studios family. Ana is an amazing writer whose screenplay adaptation of Woman of Tomorrow is above and beyond anything I hoped it would be. We’re excited to be moving forward on this unique take on Supergirl in this beautiful, star-spanning tale."
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CzpHCSsvZ1h/

S:WOT is one of the few DCU film projects I'm excited about. It's setting up to be a universe spanning saga. Supergirl-centric with no B/C JSA characters stealing Kara's thunder. With a proper VFX budget, there is the potential for some stunning visuals. If the producer/director can pull a Gadot in casting Supergirl this film could be huge and rank up there with Batman and Wonder Woman as one of WB's most lucrative franchises.

One wish - please make Supergirl a blond.
    Last edited by Jeffrey2; 11-14-2023 at 04:01 PM.

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Sci-Fi True Grit coming to screens near you .
    lol, more True Grit marketing coming right up, they can't resist.

a movie version of the book that was based on the movie that was a remake of the movie.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Extraordinary Member

Please Greta her wig direct

They are already looking for a (female) director for the film. Adapting King's WoT is a new thing despite the writer was working in the middle of 2022 on an aborted Supergirl project. I assumed that was a cheap direct-to-streaming film like the other young gen. heroes were getting (Blue Beetle originally, Batgirl, Wonder Twins...) and killed overnight by Zaslav.

He also liked a comment saying they couldn’t wait for who will play Supergirl (which soft confirms Calle isn’t returning imo).

B55DE6FB-C7D0-439B-8C69-C7F417F6B93F.jpg
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    He also liked a comment saying they couldn’t wait for who will play Supergirl (which soft confirms Calle isn’t returning imo).

I thought Calle unlikely returning was already implied by some trades.

Btw, that's a comment under his last Legacy cast announcement, which soft confirms Kara will be in Legacy, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post

Btw, that's a comment under his last Legacy cast announcement, which soft confirms Kara will be in Legacy, isn't it?
    I don’t think so myself, I think Gunn would let the director of WoT cast Supergirl. Already had a bad experience with saddling another director with a lead cast by someone else in Ezra Miller and that didn’t work out too well (yes Gunn has casted some of the Authority but he might not cast all of the Authority).

Fantastic Member Hurricane Billy's Avatar

Unsurprising, given how disastrously The Flash performed at the box office. I still doubt that Andy Muschietti stays onboard to direct The Brave and the Bold either, for that matter.

That said, considering the film is adapting the Woman of Tomorrow story, we're probably still looking at a slightly older actress playing Kara anyway. Not that Kara herself is anywhere near old in that comic, but the fact that she's in her twenties and legally able to drink is something that I'd argue is important to her characterization and the dynamic between her and Ruthye in the story really hinges on Kara being a bit older than some purists prefer to see her as.

I don’t think so myself, I think Gunn would let the director of WoT cast Supergirl. Already had a bad experience with saddling another director with a lead cast by someone else in Ezra Miller and that didn’t work out too well (yes Gunn has casted some of the Authority but he might not cast all of the Authority).
    Gunn & Safran are supposed to be like Feige over Marvel and have a hand in all the casting and creative decisions. If a director for WoT will be chosen soon, she can too have her say on the Kara casting.

Gunn & Safran are supposed to be like Feige over Marvel and have a hand in all the casting and creative decisions. If a director for WoT will be chosen soon, she can too have her say on the Kara casting.
    Suppose it’s down to how soon they want to really get going on Supergirl. Both it and The Authority seem poised to spin directly out of Legacy, so maybe it’s a 2027 movie?

Suppose it’s down to how soon they want to really get going on Supergirl. Both it and The Authority seem poised to spin directly out of Legacy, so maybe it’s a 2027 movie?
    Like I said in the DCU thread, 2026 for both Supergirl and The Authority. They had a draft of WoT made before making an official deal with the writer. They need a director and Supergirl can start filming in late 2024/early 2025.

James Gunn: "A hearty public welcome to Ana Nogueira to the DC Studios family. Ana is an amazing writer whose screenplay adaptation of Woman of Tomorrow is above and beyond anything I hoped it would be. We’re excited to be moving forward on this unique take on Supergirl in this beautiful, star-spanning tale."
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CzpHCSsvZ1h/

I suspect Kara will have a large post-credit scene in Legacy. Legacy is being used to set up other films including S:WOT. WBD has big hopes for S:WOT as in it being another Wonder Woman in terms of success. Cast a Gadot like actress (Gal is the most popular of the DCEU actors, add in a great script and maybe Greta Gerwin directing and S:WOT could do numbers approaching WW and The Batman. Plus, if Superman Legacy pulls an MOS and underperform while S:WOT is a hit, WBD could make Supergirl the main Kryptonian focus of the DCU.
    Last edited by Jeffrey2; 11-16-2023 at 11:33 AM.