Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Maybe they'll frame it that she's on her way to Earth but gets waylaid by Ruthye.
    That was my initial theory. Her rocket is supposed to go to Earth but crashes in the wrong place, so instead of her touring the cosmos it’s her trying to get to Earth while Ruthye tags along. Oh and my other theory is that if Lobo isn’t in Legacy, he’s taking Krem’s spot here. I could see the plot being that Lobo killed Ruthye’s dad so she wants revenge while Kara wants to find out where her baby cousin is which Lobo knows (either because he tangled with Supes already in Legacy, or simply because he’s heard tales of a Kryptonian on Earth), which is why Kara agrees to tag along with Ruthye to hunt Lobo. That as assuming that WoT isn’t going to be a hard adaption of the material of course.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    The Flash heavily relied on Batman in the advertising. It was very much marketed as a Flash movie with Batman as the second most important character. You’ve doom posted about how Gunn doesn’t seem to like Supes since he stuffed Legacy full of cameos, what does it say about Flash that they didn’t bother to have any Flash characters in it other than (briefly) Iris?

If you think Superman is a minor brand who can’t sell on his own, then who exactly else does DC have? WW has one good movie and one failure. GL and Flash both bombed. Aquaman was the only big success but we have yet to see if his sequel can also be a hit or if that was a one off. SS has one terrible movie that made a lot of money and one flop. Harley got her own spinoff in BoP that centered her and that flopped. Who is bigger at DC currently than Superman besides Batman? You’re way too pessimistic about his status.
    But that's my entire point. DC right now has no options, the general audience has rejected most of their characters. The only two characters that sell themselves are Batman and Joker.

The only logical option they have is to start with a Batman-centric universe, and gradually build from that. Starting with Superman and Supergirl is crazy.

The live audience numbers sure - but that’s not how people watch things anymore. We stream nowadays and we don’t have numbers for that. S&L still got four seasons and WBD called MAWS a success. If they were failures then Zaslav would axe them, he’s shown that.
    Why does the streaming defence only apply to Superman? Many other shows are able to get good ratings, only Superman is languishing behind. There must be some reason. S&L getting 4 seasons (after severe budget cuts) is not that big a deal considering even lesser known characters like Flash and Arrow got 8 seasons each.

Doubtful. The Batman II is the “main” Batman, BATB could very well flop because people don’t want to be over saturated with Batman. Gotham Knights flopped, Beware The Batman flopped, the Bat brand is not invincible.
    Only comic book fans are over saturated with Batman because how many comics he is headlining at the present. His movies only come once every 2-3 years, we haven't had a Batman cartoon in 10 years, the last Batman video game was 8 years ago, and even Gotham ended like 5 years ago.

The general audience is clamoring for more Batman. When MAWS was airing, the biggest question fans had was when Batman is going to appear, which is why the Vicki Vale episode was easily the most hyped episode in the series. Imagine an obscure side character from Batman giving such a massive popularity boost to a Superman show. Even on James Gunn's Instagram, there are way more fans asking for BATB updates than about Superman: Legacy.

Even Gotham Knights, which didn't feature Batman in a lead role and was widely criticized, and yet I am confident it will still end up with better sales than the upcoming Wonder Woman game. You can't bet against Batman when it comes to DC.

That was my initial theory. Her rocket is supposed to go to Earth but crashes in the wrong place, so instead of her touring the cosmos it’s her trying to get to Earth while Ruthye tags along. Oh and my other theory is that if Lobo isn’t in Legacy, he’s taking Krem’s spot here. I could see the plot being that Lobo killed Ruthye’s dad so she wants revenge while Kara wants to find out where her baby cousin is which Lobo knows (either because he tangled with Supes already in Legacy, or simply because he’s heard tales of a Kryptonian on Earth), which is why Kara agrees to tag along with Ruthye to hunt Lobo. That as assuming that WoT isn’t going to be a hard adaption of the material of course.
    Lobo instead of Krem would make sense. And it would guarantee more star power if Momoa really is the Lobo actor.
    I could also see how the story could be restructured around Supergirl’s origin. It may originally be about an older Supergirl, but it’s also a story about her dealing with the loss of her people, which would be right at home in her first appearance in this new universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Laser_Man View Post
    But that's my entire point. DC right now has no options, the general audience has rejected most of their characters. The only two characters that sell themselves are Batman and Joker.

The only logical option they have is to start with a Batman-centric universe, and gradually build from that. Starting with Superman and Supergirl is crazy.

Why does the streaming defence only apply to Superman? Many other shows are able to get good ratings, only Superman is languishing behind. There must be some reason. S&L getting 4 seasons (after severe budget cuts) is not that big a deal considering even lesser known characters like Flash and Arrow got 8 seasons each.

Only comic book fans are over saturated with Batman because how many comics he is headlining at the present. His movies only come once every 2-3 years, we haven't had a Batman cartoon in 10 years, the last Batman video game was 8 years ago, and even Gotham ended like 5 years ago.

The general audience is clamoring for more Batman. When MAWS was airing, the biggest question fans had was when Batman is going to appear, which is why the Vicki Vale episode was easily the most hyped episode in the series. Imagine an obscure side character from Batman giving such a massive popularity boost to a Superman show. Even on James Gunn's Instagram, there are way more fans asking for BATB updates than about Superman: Legacy.

Even Gotham Knights, which didn't feature Batman in a lead role and was widely criticized, and yet I am confident it will still end up with better sales than the upcoming Wonder Woman game. You can't bet against Batman when it comes to DC.
    I mean if Superman Legacy fails, it fails. There's not much you can do about that lmao. At this point, it seems like you're actively rooting for everything Superman to fail. If we end up with only Batman content years from now, so be it but I don't see the point in doomposting about it so early. Batman doing best in DC doesn't mean Superman can't also succeed. And if he does fail, hopefully we get at least one movie from it we enjoy. Even if S&L was a failure (it wasn't), we got at least one great season out of it minimum. This stuff is what matters most to me at the end of the day.

And trust me, most Batman fans don't even want Brave and Bold. They're fine with just The Batman movies. I've said this since it was announced but I don't expect B&B to do well unless they start it after Reeves completes his trilogy

Fantastic Member Hurricane Billy's Avatar

Ooh, this makes a lot of sense!

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    I mean if Superman Legacy fails, it fails. There's not much you can do about that lmao. At this point, it seems like you're actively rooting for everything Superman to fail. If we end up with only Batman content years from now, so be it but I don't see the point in doomposting about it so early. Batman doing best in DC doesn't mean Superman can't also succeed. And if he does fail, hopefully we get at least one movie from it we enjoy. Even if S&L was a failure (it wasn't), we got at least one great season out of it minimum. This stuff is what matters most to me at the end of the day.

And trust me, most Batman fans don't even want Brave and Bold. They're fine with just The Batman movies. I've said this since it was announced but I don't expect B&B to do well unless they start it after Reeves completes his trilogy
    I don't want SL to fail but sadly the writing is on the wall. I want it to succeed but Gunn is doing everything wrong at the moment.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

I don't want SL to fail but sadly the writing is on the wall. I want it to succeed but Gunn is doing everything wrong at the moment.
    There is no writing on the wall.

Everything is too early in development to make any guarantied claims, only assumptions.

No based on your other posts, you think everything is destined to fail. If Legacy was completely different, you'd probably still say it was going the wrong route. I can't speak for commercial success but as far as critical acclaim goes, Gunn hasn't missed yet. The closest would probably be 'Super' in 2010 and even that had a lot of praises. More of a divisive film. Superman needs a fresh movie on RT right now and he'll get that for sure

The casting for Superman and Lois was received very positively, the rumored casting choices for Jimmy and Lex likewise are good. It’s far too early to be Chicken Little and scream the sky is falling. Plus you’re pretty negative about everything Superman in general despite there being more Superman content than there has been in ages. MAWS is a Lois show, S&L is a failure, Legacy will be a failure, WoT will never be made, you don’t seem to be reading any of the comics, it’s just relentless negativity and makes me wonder why you bothered to come to a forum for a character you seem to think is doomed to failure.
    Last edited by Vordan; 11-17-2023 at 11:56 AM.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Astonishing Member

I'd just like to point out that even failed Superman movies like Returns and BvS, grossed more than the last major box office bombs in the superhero genre. Man of Steel reception was mixed, and it earned 668 million.
    If Legacy is good (and I have no reason to believe it's going to be bad, and unless you don't like Gunn, I don't see a reason to think he's going to fail at least in terms of quality), and there won’t be a huge two hundred million budget as was the case with the latest releases, I don't see it being a failure some people apparently want it to be. It's risky, yeah, but with smaller budget (and it's definitely smaller, casting already shows that), it's not that huge.
    Supergirl might be the same case.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    I'd just like to point out that even failed Superman movies like Returns and BvS, grossed more than the last major box office bombs in the superhero genre. Man of Steel reception was mixed, and it earned 668 million.
    If Legacy is good (and I have no reason to believe it's going to be bad, and unless you don't like Gunn, I don't see a reason to think he's going to fail at least in terms of quality), and there won’t be a huge two hundred million budget as was the case with the latest releases, I don't see it being a failure some people apparently want it to be. It's risky, yeah, but with smaller budget (and it's definitely smaller, casting already shows that), it's not that huge.
    Supergirl might be the same case.
    It's possible S:WOT costs more than Legacy. Legacy looks like it will be a "smaller" film as you mention. Grounded and not epic as the universe spanning S:WOT. VFX budgets are huge and if FX is minimal in SL compared to S:WOT then the latter film will have a larger budget. Pkus the rumor that a well known actress will be cast as Kara. An actress who'll come at a much higher price than Coronswet.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey2 View Post
    It's possible S:WOT costs more than Legacy. Legacy looks like it will be a "smaller" film as you mention. Grounded and not epic as the universe spanning S:WOT. VFX budgets are huge and if FX is minimal in SL compared to S:WOT then the latter film will have a larger budget. Pkus the rumor that a well known actress will be cast as Kara. An actress who'll come at a much higher price than Coronswet.
    I highly doubt it. I think WB will play it smart in general when it comes to budgets after losing hundreds of millions of dollars this year in flops. Barbie bailed them out and had a budget of.. 130-140 million. I see Superman and Supergirl being a little over that

Yes, it is possible to produce a more modestly budgeted space-faring epic. Dune cost 170 million instead of the 300 million average for most of these recent superhero films. They just have to be smart about it.

Fantastic Member

The casting for Superman and Lois was received very positively, the rumored casting choices for Jimmy and Lex likewise are good. It’s far too early to be Chicken Little and scream the sky is falling. Plus you’re pretty negative about everything Superman in general despite there being more Superman content than there has been in ages. MAWS is a Lois show, S&L is a failure, Legacy will be a failure, WoT will never be made, you don’t seem to be reading any of the comics, it’s just relentless negativity and makes me wonder why you bothered to come to a forum for a character you seem to think is doomed to failure.
    Yeah, I think I do get a little carried away with my constant pessimism. I'll try not to be such a downer but it will be tough.

I love Superman but unfortunately I have a very specific preferences for the character and I dislike any deviation from that, which is why I can't get into most modern depictions of Superman, including the comics.

I think my only issue with that would be no one except non-comic fans would believe Ruthye could actually kill Lobo .

(I know she ends up not doing it, but it's Lobo).