Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

I probably would be more optimistic about this if they stuck the landing on Legacy first and then mobilized on Supergirl. DC's MO has been one knee-jerk reaction after another whenever box office doesn't live up to their unrealistic expecations. Maybe Gunn's stewardship means that they'll commit to his vision, but I suppose that also means they might double-down on some unpopular ideas.

I guess I just want to see a good movie we can all agree on before I can feel any real excitement toward a shared uni-/multiverse.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey2 View Post
    I suspect Kara will have a large post-credit scene in Legacy. Legacy is being used to set up other films including S:WOT. WBD has big hopes for S:WOT as in it being another Wonder Woman in terms of success. Cast a Gadot like actress (Gal is the most popular of the DCEU actors, add in a great script and maybe Greta Gerwin directing and S:WOT could do numbers approaching WW and The Batman. Plus, if Superman Legacy pulls an MOS and underperform while S:WOT is a hit, WBD could make Supergirl the main Kryptonian focus of the DCU.
    If Legacy underperform, WoT will underperform twice as bad. Supergirl is a derivative character of Superman, if the \S/ brand doesn't appeal, she'll be affected more than her more popular cousin. Legacy heroes are generally perceived by the audience as lesser than the originals. That's why the old regime was relegating these type of characters in supporting roles and middle-budget streaming films because viewed too "riskier" for a theatrical release: https://www.ign.com/articles/batgirl...max-snyder-cut

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    I probably would be more optimistic about this if they stuck the landing on Legacy first and then mobilized on Supergirl. DC's MO has been one knee-jerk reaction after another whenever box office doesn't live up to their unrealistic expecations. Maybe Gunn's stewardship means that they'll commit to his vision, but I suppose that also means they might double-down on some unpopular ideas.

I guess I just want to see a good movie we can all agree on before I can feel any real excitement toward a shared uni-/multiverse.
    That's the problem with big shared universes like Marvel and DC, movies and series get written and shot almost back to back, and you can't pull the plug that easily if something flop.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    If Legacy underperform, WoT will underperform twice as bad. Supergirl is a derivative character of Superman, if the \S/ brand doesn't appeal, she'll be affected more than her more popular cousin. Legacy heroes are generally perceived by the audience as lesser than the originals. That's why the old regime was relegating these type of characters in supporting roles and middle-budget streaming films because viewed too "riskier" for a theatrical release: https://www.ign.com/articles/batgirl...max-snyder-cut

That's the problem with big shared universes like Marvel and DC, movies and series get written and shot almost back to back, and you can't pull the plug that easily if something flop.
    I'm not so sure about that. The Supergirl TV series had 5 million viewers at its peak on the CW (11 million on CBS) while S&L had about 1.5 million at its peak. The two characters are really not tied together with the GA. S:WOT has a thing going for it and that is it is new. Supergirl hasn't been on the big scream for about 40 years. The description of S:WOT sounds epic and universe spanning while SL feels like a "smaller" film. Tye set of viewers for Supergirl overlaps but the former is more female-centric and get Greta to direct the film with a hugely charismatic lead and were talking not a billion but maybe 700 million. No one thought WW could do better than MOS and yet it did. It's not impossible that SL does poorly while S:WOT is a hit.
    Last edited by Jeffrey2; 11-16-2023 at 12:23 PM.

Supergirl was on the big screen this year
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

I'm not so sure about that. The Supergirl TV series had 5 million viewers at its peak on the CW (11 million on CBS) while S&L had about 1.5 million at its peak. The two characters are really not tied together with the GA. S:WOT has a thing going for it and that is it is new. Supergirl hasn't been on the big scream for about 40 years. The description of S:WOT sounds epic and universe spanning while SL feels like a "smaller" film. Tye set of viewers for Supergirl overlaps but the former is more female-centric and get Greta to direct the film with a hugely charismatic lead and were talking not a billion but maybe 700 million. No one thought WW could do better than MOS and yet it did. It's not impossible that SL does poorly while S:WOT is a hit.
    It's not apt comparing the 2 shows at their peak: S&L aired way late when CW was dying, and the Supergirl show could barely get half million people watching the series by then.

WW was hyped as an event like it was the first female led superhero movie ever made. MoS still did good enough to launch a whole cinematic universe.

WBD is not going to give to Supergirl a bigger budget than Superman, despite the space setting. Nor I expect a known female director to helm the project.

Ana Nogueira herself has no writing credits in her resume yet. Hamada picked an unknown and unproven writer to pen a Supergirl film for Sasha Calle (another reason why I think it was meant to be a cheap streaming movie). Gunn became DC boss, liked that script and gave another chance to Ana to write for him an adaptation of WoT that turned out good enough (according to Gunn) to proceed with the project.

It doesn't scream that confidence on the character and her potential from WB part. Who has ever hired unproven writers/filmakers for Superman? WBD itself cancelled the Supergirl film few months after Ana started writing it.

If Gunn thinks otherwise and he is betting on Ana and Supergirl is another story.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Supergirl was on the big screen this year
    Only for 5 mins.
    Last edited by Last Son of Krypton; 11-16-2023 at 01:14 PM.

Fantastic Member

Not a fan of Tom King's Supergirl story. It was quite derivative and frankly very boring. It got saved by some amazing art, so I guess this movie needs to really have good visuals.

Of course, its an idiotic decision to have a Supergirl movie in Phase 1 so no matter what story they picked, it wouldn't work. Superman is not a big name and can't guarantee a good box office opening, I don't see how his female cousin would fare any better. But I guess DC were so desperate to have a female led film in Phase 1

Only for 5 mins.
    Technically I was wrong about Supergirl but practically not so much. Supergirl appeared for a few minutes in a film few saw and Calle won't be the S:WOT actress. Again, Supergirl will be new. All new characters it seems (like Rutheye) with no Superman or Clark or Lois or Luthor or Jimmy. If SL does poorly there won't be any real connection to S:WOT to hurt that film.

Fantastic Member

They are already looking for a (female) director for the film. Adapting King's WoT is a new thing despite the writer was working in the middle of 2022 on an aborted Supergirl project. I assumed that was a cheap direct-to-streaming film like the other young gen. heroes were getting (Blue Beetle originally, Batgirl, Wonder Twins...) and killed overnight by Zaslav.

Tom King is the foundation of DC movies? Yikes, there goes any interest I had in it.

Why do the people at helm of DC movies always pick the most edgy, joyless writers to base their universe? First Zack Snyder with Frank Miller and now Gunn with Tom King?

Sick of DC movies being all grimdark and moody.

Fantastic Member

Technically I was wrong about Supergirl but practically not so much. Supergirl appeared for a few minutes in a film few saw and Calle won't be the S:WOT actress. Again, Supergirl will be new. All new characters it seems (like Rutheye) with no Superman or Clark or Lois or Luthor or Jimmy. If SL does poorly there won't be any real connection to S:WOT to hurt that film.
    It's not about story connection, its about Supergirl as a brand being tied directly to Superman. If people reject Superman, they will have no reason to watch a movie starring his cousin.

Quote Originally Posted by Laser_Man View Post
    Not a fan of Tom King's Supergirl story. It was quite derivative and frankly very boring. It got saved by some amazing art, so I guess this movie needs to really have good visuals.

Of course, its an idiotic decision to have a Supergirl movie in Phase 1 so no matter what story they picked, it wouldn't work. Superman is not a big name and can't guarantee a good box office opening, I don't see how his female cousin would fare any better. But I guess DC were so desperate to have a female led film in Phase 1
    You and Jeffery are going to get along great, you both think everything Superman is doomed to fail . I confess I don’t get how you think Superman isn’t a “big name”. Sure he can’t guarantee a big box office - but not even Batman can as seen with The Flash. Superman himself is absolutely still one of DC’s biggest brands, right now he has a movie on the way, a TV show, and an animated cartoon. He’s one of four DC characters WB chose to use in Multiversus, he’s obviously at the center of Injustice much as I dislike that franchise, and he’s one of the main Leaguers in the SS game. He’s rarely used well to my liking but he’s clearly viewed as a big deal both within WB and by the general audience.

If Legacy succeeds it makes sense to have Supergirl and the Authority in the waiting to immediately follow up on Legacy within the shared universe. If Legacy fails then the DCU will all get scrapped anyway. Only a WW movie would be a safer project to do in Phase 1. Madam Web is an example of a risky no name character getting a movie.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

I agree doing Supergirl before Wonder Woman is a crazy decision. The WW film franchise is arguably DC's most lucrative after Batman. Wonder Woman should have been among the first 3 films. So much for Zaslav building the DCU around the Trinity. Gunn wants to integrate more female character leads into the DCU which is fine but you start with your strong hand. My bet is that Supergirl will play a key role in Gunn's DCU. Don't be surprised if Gunn's core JL is made up of 3 male heroes and 3 female heroes. Supergirl could be one of the three women.
    Last edited by Jeffrey2; 11-16-2023 at 01:58 PM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    You and Jeffery are going to get along great, you both think everything Superman is doomed to fail . I confess I don’t get how you think Superman isn’t a “big name”. Sure he can’t guarantee a big box office - but not even Batman can as seen with The Flash. Superman himself is absolutely still one of DC’s biggest brands, right now he has a movie on the way, a TV show, and an animated cartoon. He’s one of four DC characters WB chose to use in Multiversus, he’s obviously at the center of Injustice much as I dislike that franchise, and he’s one of the main Leaguers in the SS game. He’s rarely used well to my liking but he’s clearly viewed as a big deal both within WB and by the general audience.

You brought up Superman having his own live action series and cartoon, but we also have to look at the
    If Legacy succeeds it makes sense to have Supergirl and the Authority in the waiting to immediately follow up on Legacy within the shared universe. If Legacy fails then the DCU will all get scrapped anyway. Only a WW movie would be a safer project to do in Phase 1. Madam Web is an example of a risky no name character getting a movie.
    I mean I have 40 years worth of evidence where there has been little media involving Superman, and most of them have failed anyway. I think Smallville is the only successful and well liked Superman adaptation since Superman II.

I don't know why for Batman, you bring up Flash where he was not the lead character. There were 2 versions of Batman in the Flash movie, one was a 70-year old actor who last played the character 30 years ago, and the other was a polarizing version of the character played by an actor who had already said he don't want to play the role again. Not worth much hype, is it? In contrast, the young fresh take on Batman released last year was very successful and made nearly 800 million dollars.

You bring up Superman having a live action and cartoon series. But the viewership of both these series have been pretty underwhelming, so I dont think it means much. Superman getting new projects is not an issue, him not being able to be a hit with the audience is the issue.

And let's not get into Injustice, where he only exists so Batman can beat him up and show who is the real boss. Unfortunately for most of the casual fans, the role of Superman is just that, for them he is just a haughty jerk who needs to be taught a lesson by Batman.

I do agree with you that if Legacy fails, this is it for the DCU. Although Brave and the Bold will still succeed even if its sold as a standalone project
    Last edited by Laser_Man; 11-16-2023 at 02:07 PM.

I don't know why for Batman, you bring up Flash where he was not the lead character. There were 2 versions of Batman in the Flash movie, one was a 70-year old actor who last played the character 30 years ago, and the other was a polarizing version of the character played by an actor who had already said he don't want to play the role again. Not worth much hype, is it? In contrast, the young fresh take on Batman released last year was very successful and made nearly 800 million dollars.
    The Flash heavily relied on Batman in the advertising. It was very much marketed as a Flash movie with Batman as the second most important character. You’ve doom posted about how Gunn doesn’t seem to like Supes since he stuffed Legacy full of cameos, what does it say about Flash that they didn’t bother to have any Flash characters in it other than (briefly) Iris?

If you think Superman is a minor brand who can’t sell on his own, then who exactly else does DC have? WW has one good movie and one failure. GL and Flash both bombed. Aquaman was the only big success but we have yet to see if his sequel can also be a hit or if that was a one off. SS has one terrible movie that made a lot of money and one flop. Harley got her own spinoff in BoP that centered her and that flopped. Who is bigger at DC currently than Superman besides Batman? You’re way too pessimistic about his status.
    You bring up Superman having a live action and cartoon series. But the viewership of both these series have been pretty underwhelming, so I dont think it means much. Superman getting new projects is not an issue, him not being able to be a hit with the audience is the issue.
    The live audience numbers sure - but that’s not how people watch things anymore. We stream nowadays and we don’t have numbers for that. S&L still got four seasons and WBD called MAWS a success. If they were failures then Zaslav would axe them, he’s shown that.
    I do agree with you that if Legacy fails, this is it for the DCU. Although Brave and the Bold will still succeed even if its sold as a standalone project
    Doubtful. The Batman II is the “main” Batman, BATB could very well flop because people don’t want to be over saturated with Batman. Gotham Knights flopped, Beware The Batman flopped, the Bat brand is not invincible.
    Last edited by Vordan; 11-16-2023 at 06:27 PM.

I don't really get how WoT is going to work as an opening movie for Supergirl. It is the kind of story that needs an older and more cynical/detached Supergirl to work, but if this is an opening movie for the character you don't really have the audience getting to know her on Earth first and understanding why she feels that way. Maybe she has already been on Earth for a while and then goes out into space, but it feels like you are skipping kind of important beats just to get to King's story.

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    I don't really get how WoT is going to work as an opening movie for Supergirl. It is the kind of story that needs an older and more cynical/detached Supergirl to work, but if this is an opening movie for the character you don't really have the audience getting to know her on Earth first and understanding why she feels that way. Maybe she has already been on Earth for a while and then goes out into space, but it feels like you are skipping kind of important beats just to get to King's story.
    Maybe they'll frame it that she's on her way to Earth but gets waylaid by Ruthye.