Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    A more relevant question is will MJ be a major part of the book. My betting is this will primarily be a Miles story. Maybe a Karate Kid type comic with Miles as Daniel and Peter as Mr. Miyagi
    I'll be very surprised if MJ shows up. She's not with Peter and their lives aren't really connected right now...and if they come across a threat that it takes more than two Spider-Men to beat, I think it would work against the book.

I think it's interesting to question...is this a Peter satellite book? Or a Miles satellite book? Or meant to be one for the both of them? Because this is around the time they usually bring back a classic Peter satellite title like the last Spec run or when they did FNSM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    On the one hand, Greg Weisman writing Spider-Man in comic form is an amazing proposition. Like, even if it's not as good as the cartoon it's still probably going to be better than ASM right now.

On the other hand, I wish they would stop trying to make Peter and Miles a team. They barely came off as a team in Spider-Man 2. It just doesn't fit the characters. Though I guess it should be interesting to see how Weisman writes Miles considering he came a generation after a lot of Weisman's Spidey stuff and he's more associated with Peter.

I also just wish they had a different artist than Ramos. I just don't really feel much at him drawing Spider-Man anymore.
    I feel they absolutely came off as a team. Just not the "attached at the hip, can't do anything without the other" team. It's more of a "work well together, when the chips are down I know they have my back" kind of team. Which is honestly how any Spider-Man team up should go.

Quote Originally Posted by Aura Blaize View Post
    I feel they absolutely came off as a team. Just not the "attached at the hip, can't do anything without the other" team. It's more of a "work well together, when the chips are down I know they have my back" kind of team. Which is honestly how any Spider-Man team up should go.
    That doesn't sound like a team that sounds like two solo heroes who will team-up, like Spidey with his classic team-up partners Daredevil, Wolverine, or Human Torch.

But I guess that's also very Spider-Man.

Mighty Member

As excited as I am for Weisman, idk if the premise of this book is for me. Being a 616 spin-off, Weisman is going to have to work around the Wells continuity. Will probably wait until the first issue comes out to decide whether or not to hop on.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'll be very surprised if MJ shows up. She's not with Peter and their lives aren't really connected right now...and if they come across a threat that it takes more than two Spider-Men to beat, I think it would work against the book.

I think it's interesting to question...is this a Peter satellite book? Or a Miles satellite book? Or meant to be one for the both of them? Because this is around the time they usually bring back a classic Peter satellite title like the last Spec run or when they did FNSM.
    I would guess the main guest stars/cast will be either other superheroes (Kamala has shared history w/both characters, for example, but various Avengers and X-characters work, too) or police/media (Carlie, Nora Winters, Jonah, etc.). Family and love interests, I'm guessing, will be few and far between for this book.
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Quote Originally Posted by bob.schoonover View Post
    I would guess the main guest stars/cast will be either other superheroes (Kamala has shared history w/both characters, for example, but various Avengers and X-characters work, too) or police/media (Carlie, Nora Winters, Jonah, etc.). Family and love interests, I'm guessing, will be few and far between for this book.
    I guess it depends how much personal life stuff we get in this book. I'm half-tempted to think this might be 99% costumed heroics stuff were it not for Weisman's balancing the dual lives stuff on Spectacular...but that was also with a singular protagonist.

Though maybe his Starbrand and Nightmask run is a better indication of what to expect?

But this is probably one book that doesn't need any guest heroes.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Tiger View Post
    As excited as I am for Weisman, idk if the premise of this book is for me. Being a 616 spin-off, Weisman is going to have to work around the Wells continuity. Will probably wait until the first issue comes out to decide whether or not to hop on.
    That's honestly my only fear. The Wells status quo is so toxic, anyone who writes a satellite book is cursed from day one (lol?). We saw it with Jed McKay. So far it seems like you can only write a good satellite book if you reject the status quo like Lost Hunt.

Now that I think about it, I'm gonna be mad at Marvel forever if this is the last time Weisman writes Spider-Man and he has to deal with Paul nonsense (lol?) the way McKay did.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    That's honestly my only fear. The Wells status quo is so toxic, anyone who writes a satellite book is cursed from day one (lol?). We saw it with Jed McKay. So far it seems like you can only write a good satellite book if you reject the status quo like Lost Hunt.

Now that I think about it, I'm gonna be mad at Marvel forever if this is the last time Weisman writes Spider-Man and he has to deal with Paul nonsense (lol?) the way McKay did.
    My gut tells me that Wells is being churned out. Like a cancelled TV show whose episodes they are running in the summer to act as filler, or New Coke:. Marvel ( although stubborn as Hell), knows how poorly his run has been received, and cannot possibly be redeemed. So we are getting a Spider-Men book and at the same time a Peter MJ/Book ( albeit Ultimate). Both of which have two goals. 1: Rebuild the audience ( and create a new one). 2: Rebuild Peter. The second might be even more important. Why? There are very few characters as important as Peter Parker/Spider-Man ( maybe Bruce Wayne/Batman). They are coming as close as they ever will to admitting failure ( very much like New Coke was), I even expect OMD to be erased somewhere around ASM 1000, and Ben and MJ to be returned to normal. However it is a process that cannot happen overnight.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    My gut tells me that Wells is being churned out. Like a cancelled TV show whose episodes they are running in the summer to act as filler, or New Coke:. Marvel ( although stubborn as Hell), knows how poorly his run has been received, and cannot possibly be redeemed. So we are getting a Spider-Men book and at the same time a Peter MJ/Book ( albeit Ultimate). Both of which have two goals. 1: Rebuild the audience ( and create a new one). 2: Rebuild Peter. The second might be even more important. Why? There are very few characters as important as Peter Parker/Spider-Man ( maybe Bruce Wayne/Batman). They are coming as close as they ever will to admitting failure ( very much like New Coke was), I even expect OMD to be erased somewhere around ASM 1000, and Ben and MJ to be returned to normal. However it is a process that cannot happen overnight.
    Agreed with all of this.

We have a good idea Wells is probably leaving soon considering stuff he's said before.

I feel like the only aspect of Wells that would impact this book is if Weisman writes more of their personal lives involved in the narrative, but that might not happen. Peter's not even wearing the OsCorp suit.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post

Yeah.. if it was out of continuity like Hickman's Ultimate, I'd be way more excited for this. Satellite books like these can't really do much to change the main continuity. Weisman will have to work around what's there. So it's now just a question of how much of the Wells stuff will clog up Weisman's work. (I think Weisman will ignore the Paul-MJ stuff. I'd be surprised if MJ even showed up as others have pointed out.)

Based on his work in Spectacular, Weisman definitely deserves to be the architect of his own book as opposed to writing something supplemental to Wells' story. But we'll see. I expect it'll still be a fun read.
    Last edited by Spider-Tiger; 11-16-2023 at 01:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Tiger View Post
    slott, cantwell and schultz all written spinoffs from Wells run and those series were fine.
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    slott, cantwell and schultz all written spinoffs from Wells run and those series were fine.
    Because they were generally better at it, by and large. Hell, Cantwell was technically following up on something established back in Spencer's run (Norman Osborn purged of his evil nature, but not necessarily the memory or guilt of having committed those deeds).
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Because they were generally better at it, by and large. Hell, Cantwell was technically following up on something established back in Spencer's run (Norman Osborn purged of his evil nature, but not necessarily the memory or guilt of having committed those deeds).
    yeah so Weisman should be ok if not then thats on him not the status quo
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    To be clear, I don't think the book will necessarily be bad because of the status quo. But the thing I tend to gravitate to most about the Spider-man titles is the ongoing saga of Peter's personal life. And I'm not too keen on the direction Wells has gone in. Weisman can't really do much here to change that in a satellite.

I also think the promo for the book suggests that there probably isn't going to be much emphasis on Peter's personal life. I'm expecting something a little more light hearted that focuses on the superheroics and Peter's dynamic with Miles. Which is fine, but idk if it's something that really intrigues me. Not really interested in a decent side dish when the meat and potatoes of the current era - the Wells material - just isn't very good.
    Last edited by Spider-Tiger; 11-16-2023 at 05:05 PM.