Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

I also wanted to add how happy I am that time displaced jean had a fairly big part in issues 1 (mostly) and 4. It’s no secret bendis’s jean was my favorite iteration. To see her so prominently revisited, and almost be an advisor or “voice” for adult jean to listen to, really solidified her place in the jean mythos.

It doesn’t matter to me whether others see her as important as I do. But seeing it acknowledged through storytelling by different writers reslly makes it feel more “official” and here to stay. I.e. when talking of jeans past- time displaced jean will be among the great versions such as marvel girls and ohoenix.
    Your favorite superhero- the one you visit these forums to talk about. Would they talk to others the way you do on this message board?

Quote Originally Posted by DarkMagnus View Post
    Im Glad Jean and Phoenix worked things out.

Jean has to admit the Phoenix is like her "Lockhead" just vastly more over powerful and capable of resurrect people.

Also The Vengers had Thor, Vision and Wanda. Lets the X have their own nuke.
    They already do several times over

“Shall we do it together?”

“There may be something we can do…together”

“But what comes next..be it life or death..we face it together.”

They drove the point home 3 times towards the end. The old band is back “together.”
    Last edited by SugarMan; 11-16-2023 at 07:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    They already do several times over
    But in resurrection they ended their relationship.

Now they are back again

Phoean STAN.

What Logan? What Scott? What Bishop? the love of her life is the Force. The Phoenix force

Quote Originally Posted by DarkMagnus View Post
    But in resurrection they ended their relationship.

Now they are back again

Phoean STAN.

What Logan? What Scott? What Bishop? the love of her life is the Force. The Phoenix force
    I was responding to your last line

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    I was responding to your last line
    Yeah but u know.... AVX (vol2)

Quote Originally Posted by SugarMan View Post
    “Shall we do it together?”

“There may be something we can do…together”

“But what comes next..be it life or death..we face it together.”

They drove the point home 3 times towards the end. The old band is back “together.”
    Also the imagery of Jean cuddling a little baby bird like a pet. Yeah, I think we all got it now. It is a REUNION!!! Bennifer 2.0 who???!

*singing Janet Jackson Together Again in my head.

"Dream about us together again
    What I want: us together again, baby
    I know we'll be together again, 'cause
    Everywhere I go, every smile I see
    I know you are there smilin' back at me

Dancin' in moonlight, I know you are free
    'Cause I can see your star shinin' down on me
    Good times we'll share again
    (Together again, ooh)
    Makes me wanna dance"

The image for X-Men Forever looks like this reunion could be short-lived. Maybe the Phoenix Force is indeed dying for good?!!?!

4 issues just proved there's nothing interesting, new, or relevant about this Jean/Phoenix relationship.
    It will always be this boring and repetitive cycle of death and rebirth, denial and acceptance.
    It's an example of everything wrong with the American comics industry.

Some people like Tom Taylor, Hickman, and even Duggan tried to give Jean a purpose as a character, but she's destined always to be the vessel of the Phoenix. Never a full character by herself.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    I also wanted to add how happy I am that time displaced jean had a fairly big part in issues 1 (mostly) and 4. It’s no secret bendis’s jean was my favorite iteration. To see her so prominently revisited, and almost be an advisor or “voice” for adult jean to listen to, really solidified her place in the jean mythos.

It doesn’t matter to me whether others see her as important as I do. But seeing it acknowledged through storytelling by different writers reslly makes it feel more “official” and here to stay. I.e. when talking of jeans past- time displaced jean will be among the great versions such as marvel girls and ohoenix.
    Yeah, I think the first issue especially really solidified Jeen as being truly the same Jean we have now, in a way it hadn't been before. The fact that she even thinks "maybe what I did wrong was blocking my memories of the future" when considering her life choice makes it actually feel like a part of her life as a teenager just like her older stories and not a somewhat separate character.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant X View Post
    4 issues just proved there's nothing interesting, new, or relevant about this Jean/Phoenix relationship.
    It will always be this boring and repetitive cycle of death and rebirth, denial and acceptance.

Some people like Tom Taylor, Hickman, and even Duggan tried to give Jean a purpose as a character, but she's destined always to be the vessel of the Phoenix. Never a full character by herself.
    have you read comicbooks with jean Grey in it?

I loved this series. I've read a lot of varied criticism about if the book was necessary, or could it not have been one issue, and all that. The book was successful it what it was intended to do - first have a classic creator like Simonson come on and callback to the time she edited and/or wrote X-books. The focus was on Jean and Jean's history (or a particular period of the characters life). Second the aim was to basically have Jean make the opposite choice that she made in Phoenix Resurrection. They were putting Jean and Phoenix back together and this was the place it was happening.

All of it leading to a larger story that Gillen is telling. So this mini of 4 issues was a whole story but still apart of a much larger one.

I loved the art. I loved Teen Jean, and I loved X-factor Jean. Simonson had a strong voice for Jean and I feel she understood the character and the assignment. It was a fun series. Now to follow Immortal to see what Jean does next.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant X View Post

The good news for you and others that agree is those versions of Jean still exist in back-issues. Jean being Phoenix now doesn't take anything away from when the character isn't full on Phoenix. And vice versa. It is funny that some fans see Jean being Phoenix again as a regression but others feel that Jean without the Phoenix is regression (we've had both versions before and the character bounces between them at different times).

I do think that much like Angel becoming Archangel, Jean becoming Phoenix again is inevitable. The Phoenix has become an important aspect or component of the character. I don't think that is a bad thing. It is only bad when they kill her off.

Quote Originally Posted by MechaJeanix View Post
    And vice versa. It is funny that some fans see Jean being Phoenix again as a regression but others feel that Jean without the Phoenix is regression (we've had both versions before and the character bounces between them at different times).
    This is how vast, complex, and multitudinous Jean is as a character. There are so many contrasting opinions about her from fans and detractors alike. It's sublime.
    Jean Grey in the words of Walt Whitman, from his masterpiece Leaves of Grass, "Song of Myself" (51 and 52):

"Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself, (I am large, I contain multitudes.)"

"Failing to fetch me at first keep encouraged, Missing me one place search another, I stop somewhere waiting for you."

BANNED

When I use the term regression about "Jean is not Phoenix", I mean it very literally and from several different respects, including regression in power, regression in character development, regression in attitude (perhaps the worst bit of it there), and all done in service of regressive views on women and for a regressive comic book ship. Loss of Phoenix means going backwards in a lot of ways.

This era debuting with Jean being infantile and helpless on missions and using her powers to do the dishes in her dish gloves will be funny to make fun of forever. That's in no small part because, being very staunchly pro-bird, it's hard to think her Phoenix identity would have inspired that writer to set that kind of tone for the character's presence.

That kind of thinking has eased a bit, especially since that writer in particular has gone, and it would be nice to have her fully restored to her basic Phoenix identity. Not even WPotC, as that is an endgame situation, but just her normal, everyday Phoenix self. She lost that for a time just so we could have what? AVX, a random change to Thor's origin that nobody asked for, goofy fake not true to the characters Brady Bunch on the moon and, what, Rookshir the Phoenix sword dude? All net losses lol.

She should have had her bird back a long time ago.
    Last edited by Kitty&Piotr<3; 11-16-2023 at 06:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    When I use the term regression about "Jean is not Phoenix", I mean it very literally and from several different respects, including regression in power, regression in character development, regression in attitude (perhaps the worst bit of it there), and all done in service of regressive views on women and for a regressive comic book ship. Loss of Phoenix means going backwards in a lot of ways.

This era debuting with Jean being infantile and helpless on missions and using her powers to do the dishes in her dish gloves will be funny to make fun of forever. That's in no small part because, being very staunchly pro-bird, it's hard to think her Phoenix identity would have inspired that writer to set that kind of tone for the character's presence.

That kind of thinking has eased a bit, especially since that writer in particular has gone, and it would be nice to have her fully restored to her basic Phoenix identity. Not even WPotC, as that is an endgame situation, but just her normal, everyday Phoenix self. She lost that for a time just so we could have what? AVX, a random change to Thor's origin that nobody asked for, goofy fake not true to the characters Brady Bunch on the moon and, what, Rookshir the Phoenix sword dude? All net losses lol.

She should have had her bird back a long time ago.
    If you're discounting her WPOTC, what would she as regular Phoenix self be able to do that she isnt capable of doing right now?