Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
    BANNED

I feel like I'm in the minority on this, but I wouldn't mind movies about Spider-Man villains and side characters if they were actually good. Spidey has such compelling and sometimes sympathetic bad guys that I would love the idea if it was done well. Kraven looks super schlocky and violent, so I'm hoping that one is at least entertaining in a dumb way.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ursalink View Post
    If this movie is going to take a role in the upcoming fusion between Sonyverse and MCU, I suppose Cassandra and the other Spider-Women will colaborate with Peter in the Secret Wars. Especially considering some of the minor characters in this movie.
    Perhaps. Though this 'verse is on track to have its own Spider-Man. Maybe we get a Spider-Man variant from this 'verse to meet the MCU Spider-Man during Secret Wars?

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Perhaps. Though this 'verse is on track to have its own Spider-Man. Maybe we get a Spider-Man variant from this 'verse to meet the MCU Spider-Man during Secret Wars?
    Can't wait to get cultural appropriation Spider-Man .

Niffleheim

A major theatrical chain insider says they could see the ‘MADAME WEB’ “advance purchase sales declining in real time as buyers were refunding their tickets” on opening night.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...se-1235829471/
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

I've heard that this not just the worst Spider-Movie, but one of the worst superhero movies ever. Hell, the worst superhero movie in the 21st Century (so far).

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by Gnostic View Post
    I've heard that this not just the worst Spider-Movie, but one of the worst superhero movies ever. Hell, the worst superhero movie in the 21st Century (so far).
    According to Rotten Tomatoes they ranked Madame Web as the 13th worst comic book movie of all time.

https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com...tSuperhero_215
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

I watched the movie, and I didn't think it was THAT bad. Maybe my tastes are trashy, IDK.

It seems the reason why the Spider-Women costumes looked so low budget was because they only appear for a few seconds. The movie was more like a thriller than a regular superhero movie where the hero fights the villain hand to hand. Here, Madame Web mostly makes use of her precognition and the environment when battling Ezekiel. I suppose big superhero fights would have been too high budget. I think making the movie more of a thriller was a clever way to get around the budgetary limitations.

Ezekiel was kinda cool. Wish he didn't die. Albeit the way he appeared to die can easily be retconned to him simply being injured. I doubt we'll see him again though, considering the lackluster reception of the movie.

I liked the future vision sequences. I thought they were well done.

Negatives:
    * Some plot points were contrived, like the idea that all the future Spider-Women and Madame Web happened to be in the same train wagon because of fate or something.

* Face recognition technology being able to track down the younger 2003 selves of the future Spider-Women based on information from Ezekiel's vision was really dumb. The only way to make this kind of believable would be if they did a brain scan on Ezekiel, but I don't think that was mentioned.

* Some dialogues were cringy. An example:
    - After seeing Ezekiel stick to walls, Arana says 'Human feet can't generate enough friction to stick to the wall/ceiling' or something to that effect. I know that line is supposed to imply that Arana is super smart but it just came off as goofy. You don't need a PHD in physics to understand normal humans can't normally stick to walls, lol. You can just say what you will in a normal manner

6 out of 10, IMO.
    Last edited by Ubauba01; 02-22-2024 at 08:24 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Why is it so hard for Sony to do something good with these characters? Can you imagine if they hired Sam Raimi and gave him free reign with Jessica Drew??
    All I wanted was to be unconditionally loved while never having to work on my flaws. Is that so much to ask?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    Why is it so hard for Sony to do something good with these characters? Can you imagine if they hired Sam Raimi and gave him free reign with Jessica Drew??
    I suspect that Avi Arad would force him to include, uh, Hypno Hustler or the Big Wheel as villains (or... Both! Cue the "sinister eight" plans!) , for the toy possibilities.