Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    No, not Golden Age Red Lantern.
    I was assuming "repetitive Lantern Corps" referred to the Care Bear Lanterns (including Blue and Indigo) from the pre-Flashpoint days.
    Yes, Golden Age Red Lantern. I'm going to be bold and tell you that I know what I'm taking about better than you know what I'm talking about.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Yes, Golden Age Red Lantern. I'm going to be bold and tell you that I know what I'm taking about better than you know what I'm talking about.
    You were talking about Golden Age Red Lantern, but in the post of mine you originally replied to I wasn't talking about GARL.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    You were talking about Golden Age Red Lantern, but in the post of mine you originally replied to I wasn't talking about GARL.
    And what you were talking about had nothing to do with the conversation.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

And what you were talking about had nothing to do with the conversation.
    Fine . . . I'll stay out of everybody's conversations in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    I’ve read his work and first became a fan of his since he started at DC with the Stars & S.T.R.I.P.E. #0 issue and the Star Spangled Comics one shot from 1999.

The criticism of his comics work these days is his so called lack of originally making new characters (see the missing 13 retcon Golden Age characters). And now people are looking back at his older works and seeing those patterns like how he just made repetitive Lantern Corps.

This is only about his comics criticisms. Discussing his movie work and the whole controversy with Ray Fisher, is a whole another can of worms.
    That's pretty much it for the overall criticism of Johns. Repetitive tropes along with his late books.
    Well, I can't deny the constant repetiton of certain tropes in Johns works. I personally detest Flash: Rebirth (2009) because is a copy, step by step of the whole Green Lantern Rebirth (2004) book. It is the same story, point by point and personally, outside of Flashpoint, I think Johns never could manage correctly Barry Allen nor gave him an acceptable reason for his return. He couldn't made him attractive to read. That was the work of other authors.

But about his books being late... he isn't the first creative who is affected by that kind of problems and I remember than his books started to go late as he had other responsabilties in DC. Honestly I think if he would had stick to the comics, he would had still be as popular as before. But I gues the song of the sirens of Hollywood is really seductive.

But well, I suppose also than Johns had reached a point where his work don't amaze anymore and the public had turned their backs on him. I suppose is part of the cycle of everything, I have seen that before.

So is good he wants to try new routes and maybe after his participation in the failed DCEU he have less support from DC bosses. I just hope his last works on DC had a better quality. And please, I hope he again restore the Legion.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    Well, I can't deny the constant repetiton of certain tropes in Johns works. I personally detest Flash: Rebirth (2009) because is a copy, step by step of the whole Green Lantern Rebirth (2004) book. It is the same story, point by point and personally, outside of Flashpoint, I think Johns never could manage correctly Barry Allen nor gave him an acceptable reason for his return. He couldn't made him attractive to read. That was the work of other authors.

But about his books being late... he isn't the first creative who is affected by that kind of problems and I remember than his books started to go late as he had other responsabilties in DC. Honestly I think if he would had stick to the comics, he would had still be as popular as before. But I gues the song of the sirens of Hollywood is really seductive.

But well, I suppose also than Johns had reached a point where his work don't amaze anymore and the public had turned their backs on him. I suppose is part of the cycle of everything, I have seen that before.

So is good he wants to try new routes and maybe after his participation in the failed DCEU he have less support from DC bosses. I just hope his last works on DC had a better quality. And please, I hope he again restore the Legion.
    Outside a couple cool panels i also found Flash Rebirth hella lazy. My preference for Wally as Flash probably plays a part in that though.

Incredible Member blunt_eastwood's Avatar

I think Doomsday Clock is unfairly criticized and underrated.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blunt_eastwood View Post
    I think Doomsday Clock is unfairly criticized and underrated.
    No one is going to tell you what to like or dislike, so if you really enjoyed DDC, then you enjoyed it.

But considering it was more or less a sequel to Watchmen, crashed in terms of execution, and has essentially been ignored by DC since its conclusion, I would say its criticism is just. I'd also argue that it's hard to call a story underrated that had as much hype as it had.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

At this point I have read more from Johns that I dislike but together with Goyer (like JLA JSA Virtue And Vice) he was magic. Green Lantern (aside from the last issues) was great for a long time and so was Batman Earth One.

Seems that DC will do his WAR OF 4LEGIONS . How long he will stay. They even announced that Tomasi ongoing series, his Ghost pal.
    Last edited by Dougbauer; 11-26-2023 at 12:33 PM.

Geoff Johns is great overall. The only ideas of his that I didn't like were giving Barry Allen the tragic origin and his version of The Marvel Family.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

You mean the "Billy Bratson" take?
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

never mind. nothing that hasn't been said before.
    I really like Doomsday Clock. I think Geoff Johns and Gary Frank really did a good job. That being said, the one thing I did not like (and do not like in general with DC) is all the cursing in the book. Especially when coming from the DC part of the story...I would get it more with the Watchmen characters. Is it just me or does it bother anyone else when DC heroes or characters curse in comics and other media?

And full disclosure I have nothing against cursing in general. I drop F bombs quite often. I just don't think it fits with DC characters. I feel the same about scenes that are too sexual.
    Read The Flash#1 this September!

Extraordinary Member

Agree. I don't care for profanity in comics either. But I grew up in a different time. Most young people use profanity the same way they constantly use the words 'like" "basically" and "literally".

My parents never cursed so I never picked up the habit.
    Last edited by caj; 11-29-2023 at 10:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post

I love about 75% of Johns work. Stars and Stripe, JSA, his first Flash run, Hawkman, Teen Titans and most of his GL.

But man some of his stuff is repetitive and terrible. I have always said Flash Rebirth is literally a copy of his Green Lantern Rebirth. Even down to the pages where major parts happen. AND its a bad story on top of that. Then how many times did he have character mantle swapping in his later GL? Barry was Parallax and the Black Flash, so was Kyle...then how many different lanterns was Batman? Hal? Barry? It seemed at one point he was more interested in having his artists create action figures.

That all being said he is still one of my all time favorite writers. Nobody is perfect.
    Read The Flash#1 this September!