Default Astonishing Iceman #4 - Recap / Spoilers / Review

Penultimate issues of Astonishing Iceman...

Intro opens in Antarctica - with Iceman rushing off from the end of last issue. A hand holding a device says "Not smart leaving your house unguarded".

Cut to Manhattan where Spider-Man is saving a former Genoshan mutate from the Phalanx infected Feral, Fatale, and Reaper. Iceman assists. Fatale chops off Iceman's heads but he regenerates and throws his old head at Fatale.

Iceman and Spider-Man split up with Feral and Fatale chasing Iceman and Reaper continues after the mutate and Spider-Man. Reaper disappears and Spider-Man realizes the plan was to target Iceman. Iceman freezes Feral and Fatale in an iceberg whom also teleport away via Orchis. Spider-Man warns Iceman that Orchis was targeting him and his reply is "no duh".

The two of have a nice moment having rooftop bagel. (Tho Bobby is eating in his ice form...). Peter admits he used to worry that he was a "mutant" and didn't want to be "hated more". He empathizes that that is something Bobby has to go through everyday.

Data Page of New York Bulletin Newspaper, "Mutants Sink Manhattan? Krakoan Fugitive threatens to flood Midtown with massive iceberg" *mentions Firestar*

Randall's Island: Vulture confronts Director Pequod over the use of his hounds (Feral, Fatale, Reaper). Pequod says his "dogs used their purpose and the plan moves forward."

Data Page: A Love Letter from Bobby to Romeo.

Antarctica: Iceman returns to find his home in ruins. He finds Romeo dead (or dead looking) with Mister Clean behind him.

To be concluded...

Enjoyable issue but fairly by the books storytelling. I'm disappointed at the lack of connectivity to Firestar. I think it is a missed opportunity to not make use of Firestar and Iceman's connection post Gala, especially with Orlando writing this title and the Unlimited. The art continues to shine on this series. Looking forward to the last issue. And hopefully more Iceman after that!
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/

Astonishing Member

Okay. Here goes.

I've avoided weighing in on this series for as long as possible because I kept waiting for it to grab me, really wanting to give it a chance and not be a super picky fan lol, its just. Not. At all.

It feels like a story that exists just to exist. Nothing about this is a new situation for Bobby beyond the arbitrary 'Bobby can't stay out of Antarctica longer than a few hours at a time' development which I don't actually count as a development because no time has been devoted to explaining WHY. A few lines of made-up sci-fi lingo about nano-napalm that ate through every molecule of his body does not do anything to tell me why this 'death' is so different from every other time he's died.....Carey had an amped up Northstar & Aurora incinerate his body while in flesh and blood form. He rebuilt his body molecule by molecule in order to filter every drop of poison in it after Mystique poisoned him in Manifest Destiny. Orlando is known for his deep cuts so I can't imagine he just doesn't KNOW all these instances in Bobby's history, and he wouldn't be the first writer to change how a mutant's powers work, but he hasn't actually done anything to explain WHY Bobby's powers aren't working the same way they've always worked, why he can change back into flesh and blood to sleep with Romeo but apparently still melts when he spends a day away from Antarctica? How does that make any sense? If he can change back into his human state....what was stopping him from just doing that while eating a bagel with Spider-Man and how the hell would he possibly 'melt' or dissolve while in human form? I could understand if the trauma of what happened to him at the Hellfire Gala was bad enough that unlike previous deaths, this time Bobby needed an anchor like Romeo's empathy to focus on in order to recoalesce and bring himself back together INITIALLY. That could work. But this as an ongoing problem? Makes no sense.

Its so random and nonsensical and I'm not a big fan of just accepting things on face value for no other reason than because a writer said 'this is the way things work now' - UNLESS that change actually brings something new to the story. That's why I could accept the Moira retcon on face value even when there's so many reasons it shouldn't work....Hickman actually took the time to give SOME kind of history to the changes he was making, build lore around it, weave its significance into the framework of X-Men, make it MATTER. But this is just a change for the sake of having a hook, and that's not...compelling. It really feels like this entire thing is just set up for Bobby to 'level-up' in issue five and realize that he can keep himself together without Romeo, that he's been doing this to himself the whole time, and he'll manage to restore himself to his original stats even while Romeo is unconscious or worse, and its like....okay but Orlando, you don't get to take credit for fixing a problem that wasn't actually a problem until you arbitrarily decided to make it one in spite of tons of pre-existing stories that a) have already TREAD this ground and b) resolved that this is not actually a problem. Bobby's not actually someone who struggles w/being self-sufficient. His love life - even at its messiest - has NEVER interfered with his resolve or ability to be a hero. In fact its been the exact opposite. His big problems with Opal - at the time of their relationship - was that he put their relationship second to being an X-Man and a hero, like, codependency that limits his ability to function as a hero or even just as a person has NEVER been one of his many character flaws....and if you want to make it one, I feel like you need to make a case for WHY it all of a sudden is. What's so different about now.

Is it because he almost died? Again? Why would that change anything, its happened so many times before now, its literally a trope. And even this is undercut by the fact that like....it took four issues for Orlando to give him a single conversation where BOBBY actually expressed that what happened to him at the Hellfire Gala bothered him on any level. That's bad pacing. I'm sorry but when you only have five issues to work with, and you spend over half of them with Bobby acting like everything's all hunky-dory while his boyfriend is more bothered by events that happened TO Bobby, TO mutantkind, than Bobby himself seems to be....I really question why?? I understand humor is Bobby's coping mechanism, that he likes to put on a brave face, but there is a time and a place for that, and that time and place is not over half of his solo series with only a single issue remaining for Bobby to actually be allowed to express a full range of emotions rather than like...one at a time. He feels one-dimensional because he's just reacting to everything happening in the moment and acts like he has no larger cares beyond that except on a superficial level like 'I'm going to stop you Orchis/you'll never kill us all' - but there's no actual weight or gravitas to any of it and it comes across as just another day at the office for Bobby instead of 'mutantkind's darkest hour.'

Orlando made a big deal about how we'd see Bobby using his powers in ways he never has before, pushed to new limits emotionally and all that, and its like....where? I've seen no real new feats, I've seen no real emotional range, I've seen no new stories....Bobby hampered by his own psyche, placing limits on himself because of his own trauma or fears or anything like that....is not a new story. Its the oldest recurring story in Bobby's wheelhouse. He's gone through it a dozen times before, each time a new writer promising this is it, this is Bobby leveling up and figuring out he doesn't need anyone else, that he's enough, blah blah blah....we've read that before. I wasn't looking to read it again.

I guess ultimately I'm disappointed because this series isn't what I was looking for and that is on me to a degree - I wanted it to be more like Operation: Zero Tolerance, where we see Bobby still very much being himself, but showcasing how competent and resourceful he can be on his own, that he can step up and be a leader when necessary. I don't feel like this is that, it feels like a watered down version of that because the majority of the mini is devoted to the idea that Bobby CAN'T be competent and resourceful on his own, that he needs an anchor, needs Romeo to ground him, despite never needing something like that before. Rather than balancing Bobby's humor and preferred coping mechanisms with the reality of his current situation, like O:ZT, it feels more like Bobby just ignoring the gravitas of the current situation even if he references particulars of it....all of that getting lost behind the emphasis JUST on his humor and devil may care attitude, when IMO this is a regression: he's proven in many stories that he knows when to put the humor aside and focus on the gravity of a situation, pay that its actual due, that he can make jokes but still be serious and grounded at the same time. That his humor has nuance and degrees, it can be dry and deadpan when the stakes are more dire so its still there, still reminding us hey this is still Bobby, but its Bobby-going-through-it, not Bobby having a fun day at the beach with the occasional fisticuffs with a genocidal supervillain who might as well just be a generic bad guy given that Bobby doesn't actually treat the conflict as having anymore weight than foiling a bank robbery.
    Last edited by BobbysWorld; 11-15-2023 at 04:30 PM.

Astonishing Member

And lastly - the most interesting page of the entire issue was his letter to Romeo. THAT was everything I wanted to see throughout this entire series, and its....a single page, in the fourth issue of five. And that bums me out all the harder, because Orlando is capable of more than this mini. I've read it. He knows how to do a lot of the stuff I'm complaining about so I'm just disappointed that for whatever reason, none of that actually made it onto more than a single page. Its the very essence of telling instead of showing. We got told everything that Bobby's REALLY thinking and feeling - about Romeo, about the current conflict & stakes, about his fears for the future - in a literal written letter instead of through his actions and dialogue over the course of this entire series. And that one conversation with Peter, I suppose. Like...yay? Now imagine if we'd gotten SHOWN more of that across all four past issues.

Like we've gotten a Bobby who cares, but in a generic, plucky, "I fight for what's right and will oppose Orchis and save people no matter what" kinda way that feels hollow. We haven't really gotten a Bobby who CARES, who feels emotionally invested in this fight, like what Orchis has done MATTERS to him beyond just a 'hey, that's wrong and you shouldn't do stuff like that' kinda way. There's no depth to his feelings, no reaction to Jean's death or that of countless other mutants.....not even a MENTION of Bobby's concerns about the unknown fate of 90% of his entire race, since he like most mutants on Earth, has absolutely no idea what happened to everyone to go through the gates and every reason to fear the worst.

Anyway, back to the only thing to really catch my interest all issue, the letter - I also liked the descriptions of all the traps & defenses Bobby built into his castle...THAT sounded new and interesting and would actually count as new and different uses of his powers beyond what we've seen before. We just. Didn't get to see any of it. I would've MUCH rather the issue dropped several of the pages of trading quips with Feral, Fatale & Reaper and generically trapping them in ice in exchange for seeing Mr. Clean try and make his way through Bobby's castle to GET to Romeo, and fight past all the traps & defenses Bobby talked about creating. But I think the primary reason we didn't get to see any of that is because its hard to imagine how Mr. Clean WOULD get past everything Bobby talked about? Like, ultimately he's just a guy with a flamethrower, and oh yeah, a new trick making his skin unfreezable. HOW is he such a threat, exactly?

It feels like power-scaling gone mad, which has additionally been a problem this whole book. I'm all for giving Bobby an iconic foe specific to him, and I like that Orlando at least called back to an earlier villain that Bobby does have at least some incidental history with in Poptopia....but I'm sorry, how are you going to pay lip service to Bobby's omega level powers and veritable 'ice god' status every other page and then expect people to take it seriously that his great nemesis here ISN'T someone like Nimrod, its a guy with a souped up flamethrower? Like Bobby can't freeze his skin? Okay, what's stopping him from just freezing all the air AROUND this guy and trapping him in a giant iceberg like he did Fatale and Feral? For that matter, how were Fatale, Feral & Reaper of all people a threat great enough to 'wear him out' and exhaust him? We go from Duggan at least having him beat up frost giants who regularly do battle with Thor just for the hell of it, to....FERAL and MR. CLEAN giving Bobby a run for his money? Like....make it make sense.

Not to harp on O:ZT again, but if Orlando had Nimrod & Orchis pull from Bobby's greatest hits by say, reviving Bastion and siccing HIM on Bobby....THAT would make a ton more sense. THAT I could see as an actual fight. And the fact that Bobby back when he first faced Bastion COULDN'T yet take him on solo, wasn't familiar enough yet with the full scale of his powers to win that fight, and so had to resort to tricking Bastion and stalling him w/heartfelt speeches until SHIELD showed up....but now could be seen as having come full circle and THIS time he's ready to go toe to toe with his former enemy? That could have made for a MUCH different mini, and a core conflict that was a lot easier to take seriously.

This just feels...empty and forced. And I hate that, because like I really did want to love this mini, I do like a ton of Orlando's work - hell, I'm one of the few people who actually likes to talk about LIKING his Marauders run, lmfao. But this just wasn't it for me, and I don't have a ton of faith in issue five to turn it all around. If I'm wrong, I'll be thrilled, its just. I don't see it happening. I'm bummed because I feel like this mini is going to be pointed to by people who are like Bobby already got his shot, he had a whole FoX series devoted to him, let other ppl take center stage now - and they're absolutely valid for wanting that spotlight to be shared among other characters, so it just sucks that it feels like this spotlight was wasted on a story that ultimately didn't need to exist in place of a story that actually advanced Bobby's character in meaningful ways that haven't already been done to death. Exactly like I've felt the entire time Duggan did **** all with Bobby on his Marauders cast and then X-Men Year Two. A lot of visibility but with absolutely nothing to show for it. Like at least an O:ZT retread that focused on Bobby's leadership potential and stepping up would have been a repeat we DONT see happen a ton instead of 'Bobby's emotions/self-perceptions/trauma are hindering his powers yet again'.

*Sigh* Oh well. I don't bitch just to bitch, I bitch because I'm tired of being bored by a character who's kept me invested and interested in him for decades. I don't think its that hard to make Bobby compelling, I just....truly do not understand the angle taken here.

Nice to see Spider-Man being a good bro.

Quote Originally Posted by BobbysWorld View Post
    And lastly - the most interesting page of the entire issue was his letter to Romeo. THAT was everything I wanted to see throughout this entire series, and its....a single page, in the fourth issue of five. And that bums me out all the harder, because Orlando is capable of more than this mini. I've read it. He knows how to do a lot of the stuff I'm complaining about so I'm just disappointed that for whatever reason, none of that actually made it onto more than a single page. Its the very essence of telling instead of showing. We got told everything that Bobby's REALLY thinking and feeling - about Romeo, about the current conflict & stakes, about his fears for the future - in a literal written letter instead of through his actions and dialogue over the course of this entire series. And that one conversation with Peter, I suppose. Like...yay? Now imagine if we'd gotten SHOWN more of that across all four past issues.

Like we've gotten a Bobby who cares, but in a generic, plucky, "I fight for what's right and will oppose Orchis and save people no matter what" kinda way that feels hollow. We haven't really gotten a Bobby who CARES, who feels emotionally invested in this fight, like what Orchis has done MATTERS to him beyond just a 'hey, that's wrong and you shouldn't do stuff like that' kinda way. There's no depth to his feelings, no reaction to Jean's death or that of countless other mutants.....not even a MENTION of Bobby's concerns about the unknown fate of 90% of his entire race, since he like most mutants on Earth, has absolutely no idea what happened to everyone to go through the gates and every reason to fear the worst.

Anyway, back to the only thing to really catch my interest all issue, the letter - I also liked the descriptions of all the traps & defenses Bobby built into his castle...THAT sounded new and interesting and would actually count as new and different uses of his powers beyond what we've seen before. We just. Didn't get to see any of it. I would've MUCH rather the issue dropped several of the pages of trading quips with Feral, Fatale & Reaper and generically trapping them in ice in exchange for seeing Mr. Clean try and make his way through Bobby's castle to GET to Romeo, and fight past all the traps & defenses Bobby talked about creating. But I think the primary reason we didn't get to see any of that is because its hard to imagine how Mr. Clean WOULD get past everything Bobby talked about? Like, ultimately he's just a guy with a flamethrower, and oh yeah, a new trick making his skin unfreezable. HOW is he such a threat, exactly?

It feels like power-scaling gone mad, which has additionally been a problem this whole book. I'm all for giving Bobby an iconic foe specific to him, and I like that Orlando at least called back to an earlier villain that Bobby does have at least some incidental history with in Poptopia....but I'm sorry, how are you going to pay lip service to Bobby's omega level powers and veritable 'ice god' status every other page and then expect people to take it seriously that his great nemesis here ISN'T someone like Nimrod, its a guy with a souped up flamethrower? Like Bobby can't freeze his skin? Okay, what's stopping him from just freezing all the air AROUND this guy and trapping him in a giant iceberg like he did Fatale and Feral? For that matter, how were Fatale, Feral & Reaper of all people a threat great enough to 'wear him out' and exhaust him? We go from Duggan at least having him beat up frost giants who regularly do battle with Thor just for the hell of it, to....FERAL and MR. CLEAN giving Bobby a run for his money? Like....make it make sense.

Not to harp on O:ZT again, but if Orlando had Nimrod & Orchis pull from Bobby's greatest hits by say, reviving Bastion and siccing HIM on Bobby....THAT would make a ton more sense. THAT I could see as an actual fight. And the fact that Bobby back when he first faced Bastion COULDN'T yet take him on solo, wasn't familiar enough yet with the full scale of his powers to win that fight, and so had to resort to tricking Bastion and stalling him w/heartfelt speeches until SHIELD showed up....but now could be seen as having come full circle and THIS time he's ready to go toe to toe with his former enemy? That could have made for a MUCH different mini, and a core conflict that was a lot easier to take seriously.

This just feels...empty and forced. And I hate that, because like I really did want to love this mini, I do like a ton of Orlando's work - hell, I'm one of the few people who actually likes to talk about LIKING his Marauders run, lmfao. But this just wasn't it for me, and I don't have a ton of faith in issue five to turn it all around. If I'm wrong, I'll be thrilled, its just. I don't see it happening. I'm bummed because I feel like this mini is going to be pointed to by people who are like Bobby already got his shot, he had a whole FoX series devoted to him, let other ppl take center stage now - and they're absolutely valid for wanting that spotlight to be shared among other characters, so it just sucks that it feels like this spotlight was wasted on a story that ultimately didn't need to exist in place of a story that actually advanced Bobby's character in meaningful ways that haven't already been done to death. Exactly like I've felt the entire time Duggan did **** all with Bobby on his Marauders cast and then X-Men Year Two. A lot of visibility but with absolutely nothing to show for it. Like at least an O:ZT retread that focused on Bobby's leadership potential and stepping up would have been a repeat we DONT see happen a ton instead of 'Bobby's emotions/self-perceptions/trauma are hindering his powers yet again'.

*Sigh* Oh well. I don't bitch just to bitch, I bitch because I'm tired of being bored by a character who's kept me invested and interested in him for decades. I don't think its that hard to make Bobby compelling, I just....truly do not understand the angle taken here.
    I dropped this book after issue #2 (FoX has too many books and this one just wasn’t standing out), so I don’t have much to add BUT I hope Bobby gets some better treatment in the second half of FoX! It sucks when an X-character is given the rare chance of a solo series and the creators/ editorial just drop the ball.

I don't want to just rehash at length what I've been saying about this series from the start, it's all still true, and BobbysWorld's pretty much nailed all of it.

The biggest problem for this iteration of iceman, and it's been there from Sina Grace, through Luciano Vecchio, and reaching some kind of extreme crescendo with Steve Orlando is the need to force the humor at the expenses of everything else. In the earlier cases, they stepped on emotional beats and sometimes prevented them from landing entirely, here... This is a story almost totally lacking in substance with a lead that feels a cipher in his own story. The pretty art and the jokes attempt to serve as a distraction from everything that is lacking and instead actually serve to highlight it. This is probably the best issue of the series so far, and also the worst for the same reason: Spider-Man. The Spidey stuff is the best part of the book; unfortunately there is so much focus on Spidey, including several pages with Iceman entirely absent, that this often feels like a Spider-Man book with Iceman as a guest star.

Right now it appears we have the long-awaited return of the OG Iceman as the Dragon in Immortal X-Men(in the guise of 'Apocalypse'), the impending death of the adult-version of All-New Iceman in the next and final issue of this series, and the return of the young-version of All-New Iceman in the upcoming Original X-Men #1 one-shot. Given all that, it feels like this series exists only to provide some sort of dignified exit for this version of the character rather than let his 'death' at the gala be his end. I get that, and I feel this version of the character deserved a better treatment. It's a shame that a good and compelling story couldn't be a part of that.

Ultimate Member

I liked how Bobby was utterly indifferent to fellow mutants being enslaved as attack dogs.

Cough

Incredible Member

This series continues the issue that plagues all the Fall of X comics - writers keep skipping steps, resulting in all the enemies being nonsensically portrayed as much more formidable than they actually are.

The writers don't build up the adversary enough; the enemy just suddenly is more powerful because the writers need them to be. This issue makes Mr. Clean seem like he is a regular Iceman rogue's gallery villain, when he is just a random made up enemy of the week without much build up.

There is the same problem on the other side - Romeo is suddenly made to be the most significant thing in Bobby's life, without any proper buildup.

The Iceman/Spider-man scenes in this issue work because readers have a relationship to Bobby, to Peter, and to Bobby-Peter's bond. There is a pre-existing shorthand.
    That contrasts with Mr. Clean and Romeo, where they are trying to do the Spider-man scenes but without any pre-existing shorthand.

So can we say Romeo was “friged” or is it more appropriate to say he was “freezered” because this is an Ice Man book?
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Nice to see Spider-Man being a good bro.
    That was the highlight of this issue, at least for me. Especially loved that he came to terms with his previous fear of being even more hated and feared than he already was and realized he needed to focus more on being there for his mutant friends. More superhuman-mutant solidarity is always welcome, and I'd love to see Spidey on the Unity Squad if Uncanny Avengers can go longer than five issues. If not, relaunch Uncanny Avengers with him in it, or have him and Iron Man as part of a secondary Unity Squad to take the fight to Orchis alongside the X-Men.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

I empathize with everyone here. I do want this series to be a bit better; it is an improvement from Orlando's Marauders run - however his Midnighter run is an all time favorite and this is lacking comparatively. I think its a real disappointment to not play up Iceman's relationship with Firestar during the Orchis stuff and hope he lands somewhere interesting after this mini. That said, I am enjoying it. As queer of a certain age you remember no representation, to Northstar's hinted sexuality, to constant media jokes of Iceman's sexuality, and while this is basic/cliché storytelling it's still lovely to read if you like the genre. I'd rather read this than the current Wolverine run and arguably other X-books. It might not have the solid/smarter solo run feel that PAD Madrox, Hama Wolverine, or Bru Captain America but its better and more relevant than a lot of mini series. (Remember Northstar's post outing mini where they still barely reference his sexuality? Probably not). I appreciate Sina Grace, Luciano Vecchio, and Steve Orlando work on Iceman - I don't find it be a different take on the character and these creators seem to be slowly weaving a great continuity that perhaps Iceman will have richer on going one day.

I'm surprised Marvel never released Luciano Vecchio Unlimited run in trade paperback.

I'm also projecting a Russell Dauterman uniforms variant for Bobby into the world!!!!
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/

Spectacular Member

[truth]
    Marvel really ought to feel embarrassed that the peak of Bobby's characterization was in 1997.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Twilight Mexican View Post
    Marvel really ought to feel embarrassed that the peak of Bobby's characterization was in 1997.
    25+ years ago? Are you referring to Operation: Zero Tolerance, by any chance?
    The spider is always on the hunt.

I loved Bobby and Peter's interactions here: Bobby finally opening up to someone about how he feels after the Gala and without his family, while Spidey reflects on how he felt on the idea of being a mutant and how it would have affected him, thus offering Bobby his support as a friend he can go to. Absolutely way better showing of their friendship after the shitty Dark Web's "haha we don't combine at all, we suck, let's never hang out again" interactions, so I'm glad they redeemed their relationship from that! The letter was great as well but I'll talk about it below. On the other hand, regarding the series as a whole...
    it took four issues for Orlando to give him a single conversation where BOBBY actually expressed that what happened to him at the Hellfire Gala bothered him on any level. That's bad pacing. I'm sorry but when you only have five issues to work with, and you spend over half of them with Bobby acting like everything's all hunky-dory while his boyfriend is more bothered by events that happened TO Bobby, TO mutantkind, than Bobby himself seems to be....I really question why?? I understand humor is Bobby's coping mechanism, that he likes to put on a brave face, but there is a time and a place for that, and that time and place is not over half of his solo series with only a single issue remaining for Bobby to actually be allowed to express a full range of emotions rather than like...one at a time. He feels one-dimensional because he's just reacting to everything happening in the moment and acts like he has no larger cares beyond that except on a superficial level like 'I'm going to stop you Orchis/you'll never kill us all' - but there's no actual weight or gravitas to any of it and it comes across as just another day at the office for Bobby instead of 'mutantkind's darkest hour.'
    You hit the nail on the head with this post. I agree with everything here, for a series following Iceman after what happened to him and mutantkind in the Gala it really just feels like he's hanging around stopping some crimes while yelling "You won't stop us Orchis!" and that's it. There's barely any range of emotions shown by him or exploration to his feelings applied to him (aside from some in issue 2 which I did enjoy as well) till now. And as you said down below, the letter was EXCELLENT, for anyone not on board with Romeo I think if he expressed that through the issues instead of them mainly talking about the logistics of the time limit and such (I think issue 2 was once again where they get close to touching it) they would be convinced of their relationship, that line of "But if I can't protect what I love, what the hell am I fighting for anyways?" is a pretty damn good line! And also yeah, the ice fortress is a really fun concept to handle, and Orlando seemed like he had the perfect idea to show it off with all its potential ice traps and golems but we get shown none of it

That said I don't want to come off as too negative, I do think the book has some positives like issue 2 and this one, and as NewMutant said I do wish it could get better but it's also not like a dumpster fire like Spidey's main book or something, just disappointing in some areas since it could have been a stellar take on Bobby if they took another angle (also not super on board with the series kinda focusing on non-mutants getting attacked while the mutants being used as hounds is ignored but that's a thing to talk about another day). Hopefully issue 5 delivers strongly now that every piece is set up, I know Orlando can do it!
    Last edited by MexM; 11-22-2023 at 12:32 PM.