Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 121819202122232425 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mercwmouth12 View Post
    I think we should move to another subject. This current conversation has run it's course it seems we have a new topic to veer to

https://x.com/comicsxf/status/1780264928928018919?s=46
    I take this new topic wouldn't be better served for a different thread? Woo Hoo!

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wleakr View Post
    I take this new topic wouldn't be better served for a different thread? Woo Hoo!
    It is a behind the scenes talking point so technically falls under the parameters of the thread discussion, but what do I know

It is a behind the scenes talking point so technically falls under the parameters of the thread discussion, but what do I know
    Honestly, it's about a different topic. It can be its own thread or an update to an earlier discussion on Kamala Khan.

It probably makes the most sense as a new thread, since it's not a meta discussion on conspiracy theories or relevant to the comments about speculation in this thread.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Honestly, it's about a different topic. It can be its own thread or an update to an earlier discussion on Kamala Khan.

It probably makes the most sense as a new thread, since it's not a meta discussion on conspiracy theories or relevant to the comments about speculation in this thread.
    True, but as the whole thing with Kamala is it's own thing she was only for a small part of the the run should it even be talked about at all as she's not really a spider-man character and was only used for MCU synergy so never mind for bringing it in a topic at all

True, but as the whole thing with Kamala is it's own thing she was only for a small part of the the run should it even be talked about at all as she's not really a spider-man character and was only used for MCU synergy so never mind for bringing it in a topic at all
    It's certainly valid to discuss a controversial moment in a Spider-Man comic in a Spider-Man discussion.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

I think we should move to another subject. This current conversation has run it's course it seems we have a new topic to veer to

https://x.com/comicsxf/status/1780264928928018919?s=46
    A great many of us - here and elsewhere - thought this was for MCU synergy. Not remotely surprised.

But, OOF, that execution was problematic (no pun intended).
    Join the "Spider-Fam" Community! - Celebrating Love and Advocating for Our Hero to Beat the Devil! - https://discord.gg/VQ2mHzBBFu

Has it always taken three months to create a single comic book? I can't help but think that size of a creation window is more about making consistent quality than it is about cranking out comics at a breakneck pace for the purpose of sales. Its about maintaining a brand, in other words.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Join the "Spider-Fam" Community! - Celebrating Love and Advocating for Our Hero to Beat the Devil! - https://discord.gg/VQ2mHzBBFu

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Garlador View Post
    I'll admit, the contradiction does make for a bit of "conspiracy".

But I'm not sure it even matters the "who" that wanted it handled in the manner it was or "who" wanted it done.

They wanted to get the character to a certain place and they did that...and the character wasn't even gone long enough for anyone to even miss.

Can you imagine the alternative? To have the actual Mary Jane killed off? Hoo-boy!

I started a thread on the Kevin Feige Kamala Khan question because it seems obvious to have a separate thread for discussion on a relatively recent issue of Amazing Spider-Man that has gotten some attention today.

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...-Dead-Language
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Has it always taken three months to create a single comic book? I can't help but think that size of a creation window is more about making consistent quality than it is about cranking out comics at a breakneck pace for the purpose of sales. Its about maintaining a brand, in other words.
    Most pro pencilers can draw about a page per day. Working more-or-less full-time hours, if not longer. You still need inks, colors, letters, editing, etc.

And you still have to allow time for the writers. Even someone like Bendis, who just cranks out work, still needs time to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Amazing Spider-Man Volume 2 #36, the September 11 issue, probably represents the fastest a modern comic could be made.

It was a response to September 11 published on November 14.

That was with a fast artist and a script delivered very quickly.

It's telling that we don't see comics made that quickly, even if it would obviously be beneficial on occasion to have something timely.

It usually takes longer.

Three months seems standard.

A company doesn't want to sit on material too long. It might seem out of date, and obviously they don't make the money back until the story is published.

If material is made too far in advance, it would take a while to respond to fan demand.

So if a new character is a hit, like Bailey the Spider-boy, Marvel wants to be able to follow it up.

And if something is a flop they want to change direction, which is harder if they've had 11 issues commissioned after the publication of a new development that tanks sales.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Amazing Spider-Man Volume 2 #36, the September 11 issue, probably represents the fastest a modern comic could be made.

It was a response to September 11 published on November 14.

That was with a fast artist and a script delivered very quickly.

It's telling that we don't see comics made that quickly, even if it would obviously be beneficial on occasion to have something timely.

It usually takes longer.

Three months seems standard.

A company doesn't want to sit on material too long. It might seem out of date, and obviously they don't make the money back until the story is published.

If material is made too far in advance, it would take a while to respond to fan demand.

So if a new character is a hit, like Bailey the Spider-boy, Marvel wants to be able to follow it up.

And if something is a flop they want to change direction, which is harder if they've had 11 issues commissioned after the publication of a new development that tanks sales.
    A recent version of this happened with Avengers Inc. By issue #2 they knew that the book wasn't selling well and had its story end in #5 announcing its cancellation by issue #3. Reading that last issue it was clear to me that had to wrap it up pretty quickly and probably had to change a few things at the last moment.

Quote Originally Posted by wleakr View Post
    Can you imagine the alternative? To have the actual Mary Jane killed off? Hoo-boy!
    Describing killing off Mary Jane as the alternative implies that not killing a female character wasn't an open possibility.

Also, if the character wasn't even gone long enough for anyone to miss, what is the point of killing the character off in the first place? A great defence of a storyline that: it doesn't matter.
    Petrus Maria Johannaque sunt nubendi

Fantastic Member

If i'm being honest, i'm all in all happier that the death in question was an inconsequential swervy shock-value stunt. If Kamala, MJ or any other endearing supporting character, male or female, died(egregiously, i add) to pad interest in this run i think everybody would be worse off. Of course the alternative of, miraculously, it turning out to be a well written, emotional story would be preferable, but in the world where that is off the table i'm more glad they just copped out than sticking with it(the death).