Amazing Member Prince Disarming's Avatar

Default Artists like Hal Foster and Alex Raymond

Both Hal Foster and Alex Raymond seem to have an antiquated illustrative style yet their work is so sublime. I could stare at some of their panels for 20 minutes. Are there any more artists with similar styles I should know about. If anyone has any suggestions it would be much appreciated.

Retired

I wouldn't say antiquated. I think Foster and Raymond have timeless styles. In their tradition are John Prentice, Stan Drake, Mac Raboy, Al Williamson. Burne Hogarth took over Tarzan from Foster and has his own illustrative style. Wally Wood, Gene Colan, George Evans show some influence. Joe Kubert said that Foster's Tarzan influenced his own version of the Apeman. Sheldon Moldoff in the '40s did a lot of swipes from Raymond and Foster--and his work on Hawkman and the Black Pirate shows that.

I didn't mean antiquated as an insult. I think it is definitely art that has and will continue to stand the test of time, but at the same time it isn't an art style that you see now a days in comics or even illustrations. Anyway thank you for the recommendations some of those look really promising from a quick Google Images search.

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Mark Schultz comes to mind. Xenozoic Tales, in particular.

Gary Gianni.

John Burns from 2000AD, especially his Nikolai Dante work.
    Last edited by FanboyStranger; 09-09-2014 at 02:30 PM.

Amazing Member

Always felt that Frank Frazetta's pencil & ink work was Foster/Raymond-esque! Surprisingly, when he's on his a-game, not rushed by a deadline, 'Rags' Morales gets that beautifully classic look in his work. Although the story was instantly forgettable, the Batman/Spirit/Doc Savage book; First Wave, had some great work by Rags!

Amazing Member Black Iron Tarkus's Avatar

How about Reed Crandall, or the Savage Sword of Conan team-up of John Buscema (pencils) & Alfredo Alcala (inks)?

Retired

Many artists were influenced by the feathering in Alex Raymond's inks--including Reed Crandall, Lou Fine and Murphy Anderson. Later Fine (on PETER SCRATCH) has more of a Foster influence. And Neal Adams is in the Foster tradition.

BANNED

Dave Sim did a comic a few years ago called Glamourpuss. It was a parody of fashion magazines, a history of photorealism in comics, and a surreal super-heroine comic. He went on to tell the strange death of Hal Foster and and his relationship with Raymond. Fascinating stuff.
    glamourpuss_01_page9.jpg

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

Lance by Warren Tufts comes to mind.

Last edited by Kay; 09-10-2014 at 08:45 PM.

Retired

Nice work by Warren Tufts. I never heard of LANCE before. I know Tufts for his work on ZORRO from Dell--and he also did KORAK. Looking up more info on him, before LANCE, he had created CASEY RUGGLES.

There's a google site I use that has hundreds of newspaper strips on it (in English, too)--and I see they have files for both CASEY RUGGLES and LANCE.