Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

After JG #4 I have no idea what is going on.
    It’s all one big pretentious Ayahuasca word salad.
    This better get real, real soon.

The preview looks so good. I loved the Jean quotes from throughout the years. I did not expect to see the one from Phoenix Endsong or Classic X-men 8. Gillen has done the research and that is good. I know some are mixed on Gillen's writing but I rather enjoy it. Immortal is a fun book and I love the focus on individual characters.

It's nice to see the Jean Grey mini dovetail into Immortal. It'll be interesting to see where they take Jean and why (which we likely know why, Jean will help rescue the mutants and she might help with the Dominion when that story takes off).

Exciting times.

Quote Originally Posted by HomoSuperior View Post
    After JG #4 I have no idea what is going on.
    It’s all one big pretentious Ayahuasca word salad.
    This better get real, real soon.
    Sounds more like your frustration over being confused. Is there perhaps something you have a question of that the fanbase can answer? Because these are a lot of references to Jean Grey’s history and the Phoenix’s that are rather blatant.

This looks pretty good.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

It's impressive how Ryp can produce such lovely art on Wolverine on a monthly basis AND also has the time to fill in for Werneck on Immortal. And the quality is there on both.

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    Rise Quean Grey
    Okay this slaps.

I've got zero skin in the game when it comes to rooting for or rooting against Jean, but I love word play. Well done, davetvs

I love that they are touching on Jean Grey’s entire history, tying it all together once and for all. One of the things I like about Marvel comics is that the characters are the same characters from when they were first introduced. Personalities and powers can be changed and expanded. But all those years of continuity make it easier to grasp, even if it’s the opposite for some people. Continuity makes the older comics relevant. It’s up to the writers to be able to work within that.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

ehhh, what is this art?

Quote Originally Posted by PyroFN View Post
    Sounds more like your frustration over being confused. Is there perhaps something you have a question of that the fanbase can answer? Because these are a lot of references to Jean Grey’s history and the Phoenix’s that are rather blatant.
    In JG#4 Jean and Phoenix are talking in WHR. Nearby there’s (another) catatonic chained Jean, Hope, Exodus, and Apocalypse.

If WHR is ideas and creativity made real, how is WHR any different from the astral plane or Legion’s altar?
    Why are there two Jeans in WHR?

How are the others in WHR? Are they really there or are they manifestations of someone’s mind? If so, who?

Why is Exodus now suddenly violently opposed to Apocalypse after being on Krakoa together?

What does Apocalypse mean when he says they are the “chalice”?

Why do people assume Hope is somehow another version of Jean? Her real parents were killed (and forgotten). Her powers are mimicry/siphoning like Synch. Or Rogue. Yes, I recall AvX.

Teasing a mystery with pretentious word salad gets old. Spreading out no context word salad plots across series and issues is not worth the price of admission.

Soooo...Classic X-Men #8 says

"They provide an...awareness of your DOMINANT emotions and memories"

and Immortal X-Men #17 says

"They provide an...awareness of your DORMANT emotions and memories"

Typo? Or...is that a significant change?

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Okay this slaps.

I've got zero skin in the game when it comes to rooting for or rooting against Jean, but I love word play. Well done, davetvs
    The Crown is back. xoxo

Wow… this is the first time in ages where Apocalypse really looks like an evil character again. The artist should do this with Sinister too.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeon View Post
    Wow… this is the first time in ages where Apocalypse really looks like an evil character again. The artist should do this with Sinister too.
    Totally agree. Not sure why Apocalypse needed to be softened as a misunderstood simping wife guy mage. His whole ethos is survival of the fittest. Can’t imagine he is pleased with himself for the recent moping and doting.

Quote Originally Posted by HomoSuperior View Post
    Totally agree. Not sure why Apocalypse needed to be softened as a misunderstood simping wife guy mage. His whole ethos is survival of the fittest. Can’t imagine he is pleased with himself for the recent moping and doting.
    Agreeing on this. I understand where fans come from ("before Krakoa Poccy was cardboard-cut ridiculed villain"), but there's "develop a 2-D villain into a complete, rounded character" and there's "completely remove what has distinguished a character since his origins and his life-motiv".
    First Warren in Dark X-Men #1, and then Genis-Vell in Captain Marvel #1. Seriously, Marvel?!
    Avatar reflecting my mood. I couldn't stand the sunny high-flying Angel one anymore.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hakka84 View Post
    Agreeing on this. I understand where fans come from ("before Krakoa Poccy was cardboard-cut ridiculed villain"), but there's "develop a 2-D villain into a complete, rounded character" and there's "completely remove what has distinguished a character since his origins and his life-motiv".
    Honestly, YMMV at the end of the day. I just know that when I got into comic books, apocalypse was well past his prime as a X-Men villain. He had a few cameos here and there but for the most part his best work was in the '90s. I don't see anything wrong with revamping that character for more modern audience while still respecting the characters history. The way some of you guys make it seem it's as if he had absolutely no care to development leading up to his Krakoan era persona.

But I digress at the end of the day just comes down to personal preference and I do think apocalypse works better and his current form than he does as a mustache twirling survival of the fittest one note villain. Because let's face it. That's who he was.