The Pine Barrens NJ in Summer & Winter & Salem Mass. in Spring & Autumn

Default Justice Society Dark

Will we see adventures of the Justice Society Dark? The new Golden Age has me curious & I'm hoping it will become a series
    Beware of spies traveling through your multiverse especially if they wear a 4

Quote Originally Posted by red winter View Post
    Will we see adventures of the Justice Society Dark? The new Golden Age has me curious & I'm hoping it will become a series
    It's up in the air with Johns leaving DC. The next writer might not deal with it. If they do another JLD comic, they might tackle it there.

I'm honestly not of a fan of the JSD idea. It just feels very derivative and the JSA book is already overcrowded.
    I wish they'd focus on unique supernatural groups like Shadowpact instead.

Quote Originally Posted by red winter View Post
    Well, the JSA issue currently due out in late December is suppose to have something involving them:
    Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post

JUSTICE SOCIETY OF AMERICA #8
    Written by GEOFF JOHNS
    Art and cover by MIKEL JANIN
    Variant cover by TONY HARRIS
    1:25 variant cover by GAVIN GUIDRY
    $3.99 US | 32 pages | Variant $4.99 US (card stock)
    ON SALE 10/17/23

As Huntress settles into her new place in the present day, the Justice Society comes face-to-face with a long-lost team: the Justice Society Dark!
    When the Justice Society Dark does finally show up, will "Golden Age Mister Miracle" be included, and if so, when will he be from? After all, Thaddeus Brown died in that issue where he was first introduced (Mister Miracle #1, cover-dated March-April 1971).

Honestly if Johns is leaving DC, which I don't think has been confirmed, I think they should just drop this concept. Or leave it as a team from the past that has now passed the mantle to Justice League Dark.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    I'm honestly not of a fan of the JSD idea. It just feels very derivative and the JSA book is already overcrowded.
    I wish they'd focus on unique supernatural groups like Shadowpact instead.
    I agree. Bringing present day concepts and using those over the JSA is a weak creative move which lessens the distinctiveness of the JSA. However, I would love to see a Justice Society Europe dealing with wartime activities.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Quote Originally Posted by M@Bowers2014 View Post
    Honestly if Johns is leaving DC, which I don't think has been confirmed, I think they should just drop this concept. Or leave it as a team from the past that has now passed the mantle to Justice League Dark.
    What has been said is that Johns (and others) will be exclusive to their new line published by Image, but that they would be finishing other commitments they already made first. Johns is so back-logged with Justice Society of America (issue #9 was originally solicited for November 2023 but currently looks like it might be out in early February 2024 while issue #10 was solicited for December 2023 but who knows when that will be likely) that DC could still be publishing books he's writing until closer to mid-2024 at this rate.

Gotcha. I guess what I'm getting at is we don't know what issue of JSA will be his last. How many issues is he committed to? Also, is he committed to the War of 4 Legions that's been hinted at forever and a day?

I'm almost more curious about the line-up than the actual execution. As others have said, just the idea is derivative. There 100% could've been a 1940s-based mystical team we've never heard of suddenly appearing, but there's no reason to call them Justice Society Dark other than a complete lack of imagination. Hell, Johns created a team called the Seven Shadows for Scarab to be a part of...why not just co-opt that name for a new "post-murder by Johnny Sorrow" lineup (it's an admittedly great name for a team of magic-centric folks)? Of course, Johns has been nothing but derivative for years now, between Orange and Indigo Lanterns, multiple Marvel Family members, multiple generic lost sidekicks, and even a new Rorschach.

But hey, at least Diamond Jack finally joined the DCU, so that's something.

Maybe that 40'Aquaman will be in this team.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaijudo View Post
    I'm almost more curious about the line-up than the actual execution. As others have said, just the idea is derivative.
    There's way too much of his "New Golden Age" that's derivative. He introduced a "Golden Age Legionnaire" and he had LoSH member Thom Kallor as "Starman" in his 2007 run; he introduced a "Golden Age Red Lantern" when he had a Red Lantern Corp back in his pre-Flashpoint Green Lantern series; he's introduced "Golden Age Mister Miracle" based on the Thaddeus Brown character introduced in Jack Kirby's original Mister Miracle run back in the early 1970s; etc.

There's way too much of his "New Golden Age" that's derivative. He introduced a "Golden Age Legionnaire" and he had LoSH member Thom Kallor as "Starman" in his 2007 run; he introduced a "Golden Age Red Lantern" when he had a Red Lantern Corp back in his pre-Flashpoint Green Lantern series; he's introduced "Golden Age Mister Miracle" based on the Thaddeus Brown character introduced in Jack Kirby's original Mister Miracle run back in the early 1970s; etc.
    Totally agree. Although at least with Thaddeus Brown, that feels more using what was already there in a new way, since Scott Free took over the role from Thaddeus. I'm just wondering why Johns introduced him as a "lost" character when he's always been part of the Mister Miracle lore and, conceivably, we'd just be seeing adventures we hadn't before. There was never a time Thadeus was forgotten, by Scott or Shilo Norman. And with Scott and Barda being New Gods, there's no reason their series couldn't still be set in the 70s and Thaddeus is still thirty years on from his Golden Age days.

Quote Originally Posted by Dougbauer View Post
    Maybe that 40'Aquaman will be in this team.
    Oh god. I had forgotten about this. Johns needed some editing in this new era.

Incredible Member Captain Britain of Earth 20's Avatar

In that one issue with Huntress with "her JSA" it featured Solomon Grundy & the Gentleman Ghost as members all that was missing was the Shade & a SHAZAM then you would have your Justice Society Dark
    Be yourself everyone is taken !! I'm an X-Man trapped in the DC omniverse