Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

I think Tynion would be amazing writing a main X-Book. He's a self-proclaimed huge X-Men fan and he basically wrote a team book with his Detective Comics run.

That said, I doubt Brevoort will lean that way, he's more old school than that, as we can see by the Gail Simone pick.

Gail Simone is the greatest shit-stirrer in comics and I love her for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Fi View Post
    I think Tynion would be amazing writing a main X-Book. He's a self-proclaimed huge X-Men fan and he basically wrote a team book with his Detective Comics run.

That said, I doubt Brevoort will lean that way, he's more old school than that, as we can see by the Gail Simone pick.
    Brevoort is not “old school” lmao his years on Avengers proves that. He just knows everyone because he’s been at Marvel for like 30 years.

I’d also point out that while Tynion mostly does horror stuff these days (I say he does too much horror, I’d like to see him stretch out of that) he doesn’t always. And that Detective Comics run reads a lot like an X-Men tryout for anyone who hasn’t read it.

Quote Originally Posted by bigstupidjellyfish View Post
    Brevoort is not “old school” lmao his years on Avengers proves that. He just knows everyone because he’s been at Marvel for like 30 years.

I’d also point out that while Tynion mostly does horror stuff these days (I say he does too much horror, I’d like to see him stretch out of that) he doesn’t always. And that Detective Comics run reads a lot like an X-Men tryout for anyone who hasn’t read it.
    Even his "teen" book has some horror element to it. I don't mind it, he.

Also, ok, FINE, I'll read a Batman book *grumbles in dc hater*

Quote Originally Posted by Keno View Post
    If that's her resume then that does not do her any more favours of give her such big title. Because in terms of writing a Wonder Woman book and an X-Men book, X-Men are up and above by a lot. I doubt Diana has more than one book either most of the time. So that's not a high profile run even if as a character she is iconic. Accordingly Simone might not deserve more than a x-women team up book rather than such a big title as this.
    Yeah, she doesn't get a second solo like Superman and Batman have. The only time her equivalent to Action and Detective, Sensation Comics, has been revived is as a digital book in 2014. Usually spin-offs star other characters (like current title Amazons Attack, which stars Nubia, Faruka, Yara Flor and Mary Marvel, and the Wonder Girl comic from a couple of years ago which starred Yara and also featured Cassie Sandsmark and Artemis) rather than Diana herself.

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    ?

these were 3 epic runs, especially Birds of Prey.

She's basically the voice for Barbara Gordon and Black Canary for a entire generation.

Hell she wrote the shit outta Bane, not many can say that
    She also wrote Barbara's solo Batgirl book in New 52.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yeah, she doesn't get a second solo like Superman and Batman have. The only time her equivalent to Action and Detective, Sensation Comics, has been revived is as a digital book in 2014. Usually spin-offs star other characters (like current title Amazons Attack, which stars Nubia, Faruka, Yara Flor and Mary Marvel, and the Wonder Girl comic from a couple of years ago which starred Yara and also featured Cassie Sandsmark and Artemis) rather than Diana herself.

She also wrote Barbara's solo Batgirl book in New 52.
    How could I forget, what a great run.

I mean I have total faith in her to give a dope X-Men, and I for one am looking forward to a new voice in the bullpen.

BANNED

In addition to the X, I grew up on stuff like Sailor Moon (hasn't 100% aged well) and Charmed.

I'm into the idea of a female writer leading things and I think there is potential in that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    I can't say I am super familiar with her writing. I did pick up the 1st two issues of her Domino series but it was really not my thing so I dropped it. I've said it a few times on here that I would love McKay to have a shot in the X-Books, his Moon Knight has been stellar and so far his Avengers run has been a blast so maybe somewhere down the road Breevort will bring him over. I'd also like to see James Tynion IV take a crack at a team book. All his stuff has just been fantastic so far.
    I respectfully disagree. I am not a fan of McKay’s work and hope he stays far away from the X-Men. I read a lot of marvel books, and dropped Dr Strange and Avengers at the same time. He’s more of a solo character writer as opposed to an ensemble cast since strange was slightly better than the Avengers. Look at his avengers lineup. Nothing new or exciting. The same ole avengers. His X-Men lineup would probably be just as basic.

Simone would be absolutely amazing on X-Men.
    Favorite Characters: Wolfsbane, Storm, Psylcoke, Beast, Feral, Tempo, Nightcrawler, Quicksilver

Favorite Titles: X-Men Red, Legion of X, Marauders, Hellions

Maybe this was the hint they gave about the new 'new x-men'. Since Jubilee is new gen x and there might be other juniors as well

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfsbane View Post
    I respectfully disagree. I am not a fan of McKay’s work and hope he stays far away from the X-Men. I read a lot of marvel books, and dropped Dr Strange and Avengers at the same time. He’s more of a solo character writer as opposed to an ensemble cast since strange was slightly better than the Avengers. Look at his avengers lineup. Nothing new or exciting. The same ole avengers. His X-Men lineup would probably be just as basic.

I ended up picking up Marvel Zombies Black White and Blood #2 today and Simone wrote one of the 3 stories and it was really good. It was a solo story featuring Reed Richards and like I already said I enjoyed it quite a bit.

I stand by my statement about McKay, but I can recognize that people have different opinions and respect yours as well, however after reading the issue today I’d have more confidence in Simone than previously.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfsbane View Post

To be fair he would far be from the first person to have a standard roster of old favorites, and he didn't have complete freedom of choice, it's all in how you use the cast.

(I also love his Dr. Strange work).

...didn't her books all get cancelled prematurely or didn't sell? At least that is what i have heard from friends of mine who are not exactly enthused by the news.

I also read in articles that she really was the only option left because other like Bendis said nope to the job.
    Last edited by Hulkout42; 11-30-2023 at 10:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    To be fair he would far be from the first person to have a standard roster of old favorites, and he didn't have complete freedom of choice, it's all in how you use the cast.

(I also love his Dr. Strange work).
    He did pitch a “weirdo lineup” but Brevoort shot him down because the flagship Avengers needed to have characters that people would recognize. I actually wouldn’t be surprised if a similar thing happened with the current Guardians of the Galaxy run tbh.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hulkout42 View Post
    ...didn't her books all get cancelled prematurely or didn't sell?
    Only according to super reputable sources like, oh say, 4chan.

Quote Originally Posted by Hulkout42 View Post
    ...didn't her books all get cancelled prematurely or didn't sell?
    Gail Simone definitely has fans but she’s no longer at the height of her popularity and hasn’t been for a few years. Which is why, if she is writing the flagship X-Men title (which I doubt), she’s a weird pick.