Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    So how many books a month about civilians doing charity do you buy a month?
    Not like that. I meant just showing a more human and real element in the story.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Not like that. I meant just showing a more human and real element in the story.
    Isn’t that missing from most stories in DC, minus a wife or coworker or two

The current Invincible is trying to strengthen Marks ties to his civilian friends, but since I know the story will grow to a point where they are left behind it feels kinda wasted.

It’s kinda hard to today since secret identities and the second life of our heroes are made into afterthoughts so your either

I do remember back near the start of the new 52 being a civilian was a true hazard and finding out a heroes identity usually meant death.

To this day Clancy doesn’t know dicks idenity and she is the better and safer for it
    Last edited by Rac7d*; 11-23-2023 at 09:21 AM.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

I found this review of the comic pretty funny for picking in the possible reasons why Bea is getting betrayed

Consequently, It isn’t long before some of the loyalists try to kill the captain in her sleep. After stopping the sneak in another series staple time lapse chase, Nightwing interrogates them to learn what they already suspected. Bea’s half-brother is clearly the favorite among the Crew of The Crossed Keys and they will easily betray her for Dirk Blüd, the true heir. It isn’t until the heroic Bea and Nightwing refuse to harm or punish the traitor that I understand why no one likes her. In a nutshell, it seems like Bea is comfortable “playing pirate” rather than truly enforcing it. While I respect upholding a code, none of the crew respect how soft it makes them look. After so many spicy threats by the Quartermaster, unfortunately Bea’s methods don’t live up to the expectation.

Playing Pirate

Furthermore, things get far more damning as they near their island destination. Surprisingly, the island in question turns out to be a hidden undersea city. Aesthetically, it is brighter and more commercially appealing than I expected. Even if Taylor makes self-aware jokes about it, mall-like shops and stores populate their “secret pirate hideout.” In fact, Tom Taylor’s Revolutionaries seen in his run of Suicide Squad just so happen to be shopping there in a cameo. I can’t expect too much out of a pirate themed bank, but a secret island resort with coffee shops makes me take them even less seriously. Not even the humble brag of having replicas of Ocean Master and Black Manta’s helmets save them from well earned ridicule. I can’t think of a single impressive thing they’ve done.

Moreover, Bea still wants to convince her ex-boyfriend that she has power and respect in this world. During a tense argument with Grayson, she insinuates that his campaign in Blüdhaven has only prospered with her involvement behind the scenes. Then, to maintain appearances, Bea lets her assistants refer to an admittedly sensually dressed Nightwing as simply her “consort.” However, playing at power and real respect looks quite different. So, while Bea is so busy trying to make it look like she’s in charge, Dirk makes real moves toward it. Morally, readers should easily hate his smug, power hungry behavior, but Dirk’s brutality is shockingly refreshing. Not only is Dirk not pretending to be a pirate, but he’s also supposedly behind Zucco and Heartless killing the Quartermaster in the first place!

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post

The current Invincible is trying to strengthen Marks ties to his civilian friends, but since I know the story will grow to a point where they are left behind it feels kinda wasted.

It’s kinda hard to today since secret identities and the second life of our heroes are made into afterthoughts so your either

I do remember back near the start of the new 52 being a civilian was a true hazard and finding out a heroes identity usually meant death.

To this day Clancy doesn’t know dicks idenity and she is the better and safer for it
    It's sad.

Superheroes nowadays exist in a bubble and only interact with fellow heroes, villains or immediate family. Even immediate family is fighting crime too in most cases.

It's just so boring and monotonous. I don't even remember the last time Batman or Superman had a proper interaction with a common man. They just complete missions and go home, it's so robotic.

It’s a played out trope that doesn’t work for every character. They’re not all Spider-Man. Generally the fictional common man serves as a contrast to the extraordinary hero, to remind readers how extraordinary he is compared to the common man, while imparting a sense of humility.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 11-23-2023 at 03:48 PM.

Who knows? The show has been improving a lot from the comic.

Quote Originally Posted by Laser_Man View Post
    It's just so boring and monotonous. I don't even remember the last time Batman or Superman had a proper interaction with a common man. They just complete missions and go home, it's so robotic.
    I agree 100%. It’s boring as hell.
    "It's not my Kate." - Greg Rucka

Quote Originally Posted by Laser_Man View Post
    It's sad.

Superheroes nowadays exist in a bubble and only interact with fellow heroes, villains or immediate family. Even immediate family is fighting crime too in most cases.

Well most characters who have solos are from a over bloated family. So fans wanna see them interact more than they do Less popular civilization characters.

It's just what comes with having such big families now. There's not much room for civilizations anymore. Just look at the current Nightwing backup. Movie night could have easily been Dick with a civilization cast. But it was with the batfam instead.
    Last edited by WonderNight; 11-24-2023 at 04:00 AM.

Mighty Member

Tim's recent solo tried to give him back a civilian cast. The problem was that Tim didn't give a **** about them at all and they were friendly neighbors at best. Like everytime we heard about their so called "oppression", Tim just went back to thinking about the case and never did anything to help or really care. And even with his civilian BF, so much of it was tied to Robin and him knowing was just not a big deal.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Yeah, that's my feeling as well...if she's going to be a pirate let her be a pirate. I didn't care for Bea to begin with so I wouldn't care if a more ruthless or amoral personality took over from what went before but what we got was really vanilla and dull to the point that I was okay with her being stabbed even if we just know she's going to get better.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Yeah, that's my feeling as well...if she's going to be a pirate let her be a pirate. I didn't care for Bea to begin with so I wouldn't care if a more ruthless or amoral personality took over from what went before but what we got was really vanilla and dull to the point that I was okay with her being stabbed even if we just know she's going to get better.
    That feels pretty par for the course for this run in my opinion.

That’s Bea in a nutshell. Vanilla and dull. People pretend like she was some bright spot in Ric, but she was a nothing of character that they couldn’t do anything too and had to protect despite the stories. So even as a pirate shes vanilla a dull, and above approach.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 11-25-2023 at 12:40 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    So even as a pirate shes vanilla a dull, and above approach.
    Feels more like she is cosplaying to be pirate. I mean has anyone of you the impression that she and her crew are actually go boarding other ships?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    Yeah, i'm sure the guy that is making one of the most successful Nightwing runs is plotting to ruin Bea, of all characters, just cause you don't like his book.
    And anyone who actually enjoys it is all a part of his nefarious scheme. And the bolded can't be emphasized enough.

MWA-HA-HA-HA!!!
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Feels more like she is cosplaying to be pirate. I mean has anyone of you the impression that she and her crew are actually go boarding other ships?
    Its the issue with wanting to call someone a morally ambiguous thing but refusing to actually have them be morally ambiguous.

Its rather telling that Dick's conflict with Bea here isn't even based on any difference of methodology or anything, its clearly just Bea not being over being dumped.