Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Quote Originally Posted by Dioman-san View Post
    It would be strange. But why not.

Honestly i am curious how he will solves all this plots before JSA #12 (DC announce a maxi for thé JSA). They're so many things to solve.
    I don't believe Johns' intention was to solve everything. I think his goal was to set up a new status quo for the JSA and related characters.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Fantastic Member TheCasualReader's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JayPursuits View Post
    spoilers:

I think the reason he entertained Limbo Town was to find out how to break the curse, not leave her there. That would line up with also having her having a place on the JSA to be watched. Also, minor point but even in his solo series, he usually calls Kent just "Kent" so calling him "Kent Nelson" isn't too much a stretch. Not to mention in-universe, he once wanted to use "Kent" as his doctor name.
    end of spoilers
    That is a good possibility I hadn't considered and would make a lot more sense. She does cut him off before he can finish his sentence, and I guess he might have decided explaining it after she hit him wouldn't work.

I disagree: there's a big stretch between him calling and referring to Kent by his first name and him referring to Kent by his full name. When I refer to my uncle, I'll use his first name, but I have never referred to him by his full name like that. Maybe it's more normal/sounds more natural to Americans. Him wanting to go by Kent (instead of Nelson) in the solo series was weird, especially since Nelson was just as "white bread" a name as Kent and that's why he really wanted to use it.

EDIT: I went back and checked. He actually wants to use Kent as his first name instead of Khalid (professionally, he still wants to use Khalid privately)

The exchange:
    "Khalid, isn't it?"
    "Y-Yes... Well, actually.... no... I have decided to use the name Kent as a physician. It has significance-- in my family, and it will be easier--"
    "You don't need to explain, Nassour. Kent it will be."
    Last edited by TheCasualReader; 11-21-2023 at 04:40 PM.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Finally caught up to JSA again. I have to say these issues aren't bad they are decent, but the delays which makes come across a lot worse.

Cause having to wait so long for a story that isn't great winds up making you feel that this wasn't worth all the wait.

Quote Originally Posted by sbp1972 View Post
    It's not a maxi, it's (in theory) a regular ongoing. Johns has said in the past that the "maxi-series" labelling was incorrect.
    Now, having said that, I have my doubts how much longer this volume goes on with the delays and Johns' new Image deal. Close out his storylines, fresh start with a creative team that will actually push out regular content.
    Even if it was intended as an ongoing originally, I'll be surprised if it goes past issue 12 now. Especially when at current pace, those remaining five issues would be out in January, March, May, July, and September 2024...
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by TheCasualReader View Post
    That is a good possibility I hadn't considered and would make a lot more sense. She does cut him off before he can finish his sentence, and I guess he might have decided explaining it after she hit him wouldn't work.

I disagree: there's a big stretch between him calling and referring to Kent by his first name and him referring to Kent by his full name. When I refer to my uncle, I'll use his first name, but I have never referred to him by his full name like that. Maybe it's more normal/sounds more natural to Americans. Him wanting to go by Kent (instead of Nelson) in the solo series was weird, especially since Nelson was just as "white bread" a name as Kent and that's why he really wanted to use it.

EDIT: I went back and checked. He actually wants to use Kent as his first name instead of Khalid (professionally, he still wants to use Khalid privately)

The exchange:
    "Khalid, isn't it?"
    "Y-Yes... Well, actually.... no... I have decided to use the name Kent as a physician. It has significance-- in my family, and it will be easier--"
    "You don't need to explain, Nassour. Kent it will be."

To be fair, everyone's perspective and relationship is different. I'm personally not phased by this because often times, one of my aunts is referred to by her first name and maiden name together even in casual conversation by certain people in my family, especially older relatives while me and my cousins gave her a name. It's hard to explain why but for some people, it's part of their identity and how people identify them.

I just gave speculation as to why that may be the case.

Is it me or did Johns overdo it with the splash pages? With such a bloated cast, it would have been good if the pacing was better.
    The story itself was ok. I still don’t get why they’re recruiting the alternate future team, but whatever.
    My favorite thing was probably PG acting as herself for once.
    And did I miss something or did Johns just retcon Identity Crisis as Eclipso meddling with Jean Loring? Or has that been established before and I missed it?

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    Is it me or did Johns overdo it with the splash pages? With such a bloated cast, it would have been good if the pacing was better.
    The story itself was ok. I still don’t get why they’re recruiting the alternate future team, but whatever.
    And did I miss something or did Johns just retcon Identity Crisis as Eclipso meddling with Jean Loring? Or has that been established before and I missed it?
    All I remember is Jean turning to Eclipso after she went crazy.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Even if it was intended as an ongoing originally, I'll be surprised if it goes past issue 12 now. Especially when at current pace, those remaining five issues would be out in January, March, May, July, and September 2024...
    Yeah, agreed. Based on just my opinion and no facts, I imagined the conversation went something like this:
    "Geoff, it's just not working out this time around, and you seem to be really invested in your creator owned work. Out of respect, why don't you wrap things up by issue 12. We'll just start fresh on our end with a new creative team and direction". Now, when that 12th issue comes out... Christmas next year?

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    Yes, that is something than I hope stand stronger beyond this title.

From the converstion, it seems no. I mean it takes as canon Eclipso12-issues series (Dr. Midnite and Wildcat dying in Parador, being send there by Waller) and the dialogue implies than Jean experienced being possesed/infected by Eclipso, as something of her past, something than she already lived before.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Extraordinary Member

Well I guess it’s retcon that Jean survived Countdown.
    Or that she was resurrected after Darkest Night.