Page 28 of 33 FirstFirst ... 18242526272829303132 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Trapgodthanos View Post
    Surge! Cool to see her in this new universe and I wonder how much of her abrasive personality will be in this book lol. Also seems Peach is using any Japanese marvel hero not just traditional 616 mutants

Can't wait for ultimates
    I'll check out when the Big Hero Six pop up.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I'll check out when the Big Hero Six pop up.
    Big Hero Six should have been the Avengers of Japan, to say the least, albeit somewhat more inspired by Super Sentai . . . or, more likely today . . . My Hero Academia, One-Punch Man, or even Tiger & Bunny.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Big Hero Six should have been the Avengers of Japan, to say the least, albeit somewhat more inspired by Super Sentai . . . or, more likely today . . . My Hero Academia, One-Punch Man, or even Tiger & Bunny.
    6160 is a chance to make it happen.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Yeah if they ever do the Japanese hero team again, better to have it actually referencing a specific source of Japanese stories instead of the very general "what Westerners think Japanese culture is."

I'm reminded how back when they did the Marvel Mangaverse the Fantastic Four was conceptually the most interesting cause it was at least riffing on Neon Genesis Evangelion, which at least is a specific thing to be based on instead of the general host of Japanese stereotypes and cliches that dominated the rest of the line.

They're not going to use Big Hero Six in Marvel Comics ever again, Disney took that and made it one of their movie franchises.

6160 is getting a Japanese superhero team, but it's just their version of the X-Men. Based on the most recent solicit, the roster is Armor, Maystorm, Surge (they released concept art for her), Nico Minoru (named in the solicit and concept art released), and Rogue (at least I think that's supposed to be her on the bottom right of the cover for #4). Which you'll notice is all girls - like Sailor Moon's sailor senshi and the various teams from the Precure franchise.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

6160 is a chance to make it happen.
    Oh, yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    Yeah if they ever do the Japanese hero team again, better to have it actually referencing a specific source of Japanese stories instead of the very general "what Westerners think Japanese culture is."

I'm reminded how back when they did the Marvel Mangaverse the Fantastic Four was conceptually the most interesting cause it was at least riffing on Neon Genesis Evangelion, which at least is a specific thing to be based on instead of the general host of Japanese stereotypes and cliches that dominated the rest of the line.
    If Marvel ever tries the Mangaverse again, it would be better served getting actual Japanese (or at least Japanese-descended) creatives, like Peach Momoko, to spearhead it so it doesn't once again turn into that utter s***storm of stereotypes and cliches based on what Americans/Westerners think anime/manga is. Of course, in light of the explosion in popularity anime and manga have had in the last couple of decades since the Mangaverse came and went, and how much contemporary superhero manga/anime like My Hero Academia, One-Punch Man, and Tiger & Bunny take inspiration from while riffing on American superhero comics . . . I could see a second bite at the apple going much better.

For example, an X-Men manga could specifically take on My Hero Academia, especially given MHA's core notion that a superhuman-dominated society would still have its own problems with discrimination and alienation not so different from what's dogged the X-Men for years. An Avengers manga could be somewhat inspired by One-Punch Man's concept of a professional employment network for superheroes, as per the Hero Association, or even Tiger & Bunny's corporate TV network-sponsored superhero organization, with a bit tying back to X-Men in the sense that rebranding superhumans as TV stars would be a viable strategy to reduce public mistrust, fear, and hatred of them. Hell, the "superheroes as TV stars" concept could be used to bring in the New Warriors, with the Taylor Foundation sponsoring them as the owner(s) of a TV studio/network.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Oh, yeah.

If Marvel ever tries the Mangaverse again, it would be better served getting actual Japanese (or at least Japanese-descended) creatives, like Peach Momoko, to spearhead it so it doesn't once again turn into that utter s***storm of stereotypes and cliches based on what Americans/Westerners think anime/manga is. Of course, in light of the explosion in popularity anime and manga have had in the last couple of decades since the Mangaverse came and went, and how much contemporary superhero manga/anime like My Hero Academia, One-Punch Man, and Tiger & Bunny take inspiration from while riffing on American superhero comics . . . I could see a second bite at the apple going much better.

For example, an X-Men manga could specifically take on My Hero Academia, especially given MHA's core notion that a superhuman-dominated society would still have its own problems with discrimination and alienation not so different from what's dogged the X-Men for years. An Avengers manga could be somewhat inspired by One-Punch Man's concept of a professional employment network for superheroes, as per the Hero Association, or even Tiger & Bunny's corporate TV network-sponsored superhero organization, with a bit tying back to X-Men in the sense that rebranding superhumans as TV stars would be a viable strategy to reduce public mistrust, fear, and hatred of them. Hell, the "superheroes as TV stars" concept could be used to bring in the New Warriors, with the Taylor Foundation sponsoring them as the owner(s) of a TV studio/network.
    Anime would be more common to our generation so another go would be great.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 03-24-2024 at 03:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Is that the new Ultimate Rogue too? The white bangs, long gloves, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by vitaminbee View Post
    It could be. I saw a fan theory that the dude with the eyepatch is a take on Cyclops or Nate Grey.

It could be. I saw a fan theory that the dude with the eyepatch is a take on Cyclops or Nate Grey.
    It could also be Callisto.

It could also be Callisto.
    That's also possible.

Oh, yeah.

The mangaverse, early 2000's "Japanimation" vibes, woof. I honestly think that The Hulk could be a riff on JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. Where the Hulk is essentially Bruce's Stand, Immortal Hulk played up the supernatural elements of the character, so it would be sort of the same.

Sure, it's the perfect match for Charlie Brown...

It's fun theorizing who the new characters are but i rather get more Japanese/East Asian mutants spotlight than having Rogue and Cyclops be racebent.

It's a better way to use the setting to me.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 03-25-2024 at 07:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Captain America View Post
    Sure, it's the perfect match for Charlie Brown...
    ???? What?