Page 27 of 35 FirstFirst ... 17232425262728293031 ... LastLast

Bummed to see a fill-in artist already so early, but at least Checchetto will be back for #6. Art looks good though, but I can never get enough Checchetto. I'm loving this new world Hickman is building.

Quote Originally Posted by marvelprince View Post
    I really don’t get how an Ultimate DC would work in a place where they so fully embraced the multiverse and already have many sort of “contemporary” out of continuity takes. What would differentiate an Ultimate DC.
    I mean that's basically what we were originally told Earth One was. But the books didn't end up tying in with eachother at all.

Otherwise I don't see why it'd be any different than Ultimate Marvel. It's not like Marvel hasn't fully embraced the multiverse, and we've seen plenty of other alt-continuities through the years. It's not nearly as novel as it was with the first UU. I'd love to see DC try something similar and actually commit to it.

Way too early for a fill-in, and unfortunately the preview pages don’t look even close to Checchetto’s level.

Quote Originally Posted by Trapgodthanos View Post
    This was my thought as well. The ultimate universe works because its the only alternative to 616, so let's say you don't like amazing spiderman, heres ultimate spiderman. If you don't like Zdarsky's batman, there's at least 5 other batman books you could read (both in and out of continuity) at any given time. How will the ultimate DC be different?
    Is that really so? If you don't like Amazing Spider-Man, you have Miles Morales: Spider-Man, Spider-Gwen: Smash, Giant-size Spider-Gwen, Web of Spider-Man, Spider-Boy, Silk, Uncanny Spider-Man, adjectiveless Spider-Man (Slott's new run), Spider-Punk, Spider-Woman, Superior Spider-Man, Venom and his own related comics... and Ultimate Spider-Man.

And that, only if we stick to ongoing comics or comics released recently. Because if we start listing all Spider-Man comics in just the last decade, we would be all day at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post

Ultimate Gwen is making her debut - and she’s married to Harry Osborn!

Because it would be a shared ongoing universe with multiple other books featuring new takes on characters who don’t have anything right now. Most of the current Elseworld books are Batman solos, or JL. They’re not telling an ongoing shared universe story. Plus it’s rumored to be Scott Snyder’s brainchild and he remains one of those creators who excites people. Fair to be skeptical but people were skeptical of Hickman’s Ultimate reboot too, no reason not to let Snyder try his hand at revamping the DCU. Plenty of people are not paying any attention to the current Elseworlds, DC’s sales are pretty weak right now. Scott Snyder coming back to do a new line of DC books would attract attention and hype just like Hickman.

No way will they be directly tying in but having a new line of books with no continuity in the hopes of attracting people interested in Gunn’s reboot is probably also a factor in why they might be doing this.
    Aren't there several books that would qualify as ongoing new continuities? Sean Murphy's world, yes that might've started out as a Batman story its expanding. That said I'm not against Synder doing an Ultimate DC (even though he does not excite me like some others) I'm just trying to think what's the hook that sets these apart from other supposedly Ultimate DC books like the Earth One and All Star books. And does it need to have continuity with each other? I feel after a while the backstory becomes a hinderance to the original hook of the concept. Like if the hook is here's a new world without a ton of back story but then it goes on for 10 years and now there's a ton to catch up on.

And does it need to have continuity with each other? I feel after a while the backstory becomes a hinderance to the original hook of the concept. Like if the hook is here's a new world without a ton of back story but then it goes on for 10 years and now there's a ton to catch up on.
    That would eventually happen to any comic that gets published long enough, even if it is a completely standalone one. The only way to prevent that is if each issue has a story that starts and ends and has no lasting consequences, such as Asterix (1959-present, with no reboots ever, and you can still read 2023's "Asterix and the White Iris" with no previous knowledge of older adventures).

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Captain America View Post
    That would eventually happen to any comic that gets published long enough, even if it is a completely standalone one. The only way to prevent that is if each issue has a story that starts and ends and has no lasting consequences, such as Asterix (1959-present, with no reboots ever, and you can still read 2023's "Asterix and the White Iris" with no previous knowledge of older adventures).
    This is what I mean. In this instance eventually you become the thing you were trying to trying to replace.

Aren't there several books that would qualify as ongoing new continuities? Sean Murphy's world, yes that might've started out as a Batman story its expanding. That said I'm not against Synder doing an Ultimate DC (even though he does not excite me like some others) I'm just trying to think what's the hook that sets these apart from other supposedly Ultimate DC books like the Earth One and All Star books. And does it need to have continuity with each other? I feel after a while the backstory becomes a hinderance to the original hook of the concept. Like if the hook is here's a new world without a ton of back story but then it goes on for 10 years and now there's a ton to catch up on.
    Murphy’s White Knight verse is on pause for now, and it was never going to spin out into a “line” of books with multiple writers. Earth One and All-Star are finished. No new books are coming out for either. The “pitch” would be exactly what we’re seeing with Hickman’s Ultimate Universe: an ongoing shared universe where books have plots specific to each character, but then there’s an overarching mega plot with the Maker’s Council. Plus you’d have a clear and concise continuity unlike current DC where it’s permanently a mess because of all the reboots and deboots. We’d get to see Clark become Superman on Earth 101 or whatever and keep moving forward instead of seeing constant efforts to rewrite his origins, we’d get to see Batman recruit Dick Grayson as Robin and see that play out in the modern day, and so on and so forth. Also an Ultimate DC can change things like Ultimate Marvel (both incarnations) did.

Maybe Clark never marries Lois, or Jason Todd never dies as Robin, or whatever. Maybe one hero goes bad like 1610 Reed did. It’s the freedom to experiment with the characters and take them wherever you want because you’ve always got the mainline to keep the core characters in their “iconic” status quo.

They tried having each book be totally stand alone with Earth One and that failed. Every “jump on” initiative eventually acquired too much backstory and then it either needs to change what the appeal is, or it ends. The 1610 Ultimate Marvel Universe didn’t live forever, this new 6160 universe won’t last forever either - and that’s fine. Every decade or so Marvel and DC have to create new jump on points for people and I think these kind of initiatives are the best way to do it.
    Last edited by Vordan; 03-20-2024 at 11:02 AM.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

So we're getting girl boss corporate CEO Gwen Stacy? Why not .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    So we're getting girl boss corporate CEO Gwen Stacy? Why not .
    Gwen Stacy gets her spine knocked out of alignment by a Goblin in every universe
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

ULTIMATES #1

DENIZ CAMP (W) • JUAN FRIGERI (A) • DIKE RUAN (C)
    VARIANT COVER by BRYAN HITCH
    ULTIMATE SPECIAL VARIANT COVER by INHYUK LEE
    VARIANT COVER by RYAN STEGMAN
    VIRGIN VARIANT COVER by RYAN STEGMAN
    VARIANT COVER by JONAS SCHARF
    FOIL VARIANT COVER by IBAN COELLO
    THE ULTIMATES RETURN TO GREATNESS!
    Spinning out of Jonathan Hickman and Stefano Caselli’s ULTIMATE UNIVERSE #1, rising stars Deniz Camp (CHILDREN OF THE VAULT, 20th Century Men) and Juan Frigeri (INVINCIBLE IRON MAN) assemble an all-new team of ULTIMATES in a series that kicks off the next chapter of the new Ultimate line.
    Six months ago, Tony Stark sent Peter Parker a radioactive spider to set him back on the course to become Spider-Man.
    Since then, Iron Lad (Stark), Captain America, Doom, Thor and Sif have begun to do the same for other lost heroes, building a network of super-powered heroes hungry for change…
    Now they must band together to destroy the Maker’s Council and restore freedom and free will to a world ruled from the shadows!
    40 PGS./Rated T+ …$5.99
    RETAILERS/CONSUMERS: PLEASE INQUIRE REGARDING FOIL PRICING.

ULTIMATE BLACK PANTHER #5

BRYAN HILL (W) • CARLOS NIETO (A) • STEFANO CASELLI (C)
    VARIANT COVER by CLAYTON CRAIN
    VARIANT COVER by TAURIN CLARKE
    THE BLACK PANTHER MUST TAKE BACK WAKANDA!
    T’Challa, Killmonger, and Storm arrive in Wakanda so T’Challa can reclaim the throne!
    And what do the Vodu-Khan, the mysterious, mystical branch of the Dora Milaje, have waiting for him?
    Plagued by an ominous prophecy, Black Panther must embark on a spiritual journey!
    32 PGS./Rated T+ …$4.99

ULTIMATE X-MEN #4

PEACH MOMOKO (W) • PEACH MOMOKO (A/C)
    DESIGN VARIANT COVER by PEACH MOMOKO
    VARIANT COVER by PEACH MOMOKO
    VARIANT COVER by TBA
    NEW MUTANTS!
    Hisako and Mei’s classmate, Nico Minoru, has figured out that these two girls possess unusual abilities…
    But they’re not the only ones!
    Hisako’s world gets a whole lot bigger in ULTIMATE X-MEN #4!
    32 PGS./Rated T+ …$4.99

ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN #6

JONATHAN HICKMAN (W) • MARCO CHECCHETTO (A/C)
    VARIANT COVER by CHRIS SAMNEE
    VARIANT COVER by DAVID MARQUEZ
    THE SHOCKING CONCLUSION OF THE ULTIMATE OPENING ARC!
    Spider-Man must finally confront the head honcho himself: Wilson Fisk, the Kingpin!
    Kingpin, as owner and operator of the Daily Bugle, has been working with the Maker’s Council to control the spread of information in their favor…
    Which means he’s the first domino that must be toppled to end their regime!
    PLUS: Mary Jane holds her own. ’Nuff said!
    32 PGS./Rated T+ …$4.99

Does that mean Ultimate Nico is a mutant?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Does that mean Ultimate Nico is a mutant?
    Possibly but she could also be just a witch Hisako runs into.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 03-23-2024 at 11:35 AM.

Spectacular Member Trapgodthanos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post

Surge! Cool to see her in this new universe and I wonder how much of her abrasive personality will be in this book lol. Also seems Peach is using any Japanese marvel hero not just traditional 616 mutants

Can't wait for ultimates

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Possibly but she could also be just a witch Hisako runs into.
    Peach confirmed that Nico will first appear in issue 3, my theory is that she’ll be involved in Mei’s origin story since that issue is about that. Maybe she and Mei become the founders of the X-Men, leading to Mei seeking out Hisako in issue 2. What if the Pride exists in this universe, and is working for Sunfire? The possibilities are pretty endless