Page 8 of 35 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    Holy cow what year is it? Plawsky weighing in on an Ultimate book?? Love it!

Solid first issue, art was fantastic and the set up wasn’t too bland as we got to see some major changes from 1610. Looking forward to more Ultimate Universe goodness!
    Haha, you knew I couldn't stay away for something like this!

I got my Hickman back... now we just need to see what Peach does with your precious Wolverine.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
    Is he in this issue a bit?
    Yeah a recording of him is in it where he lays out his offer to Peter. Also teases what the big event for this universe is likely to be.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Yeah a recording of him is in it where he lays out his offer to Peter. Also teases what the big event for this universe is likely to be.
    Thank you so much for your help. I hope my comic shop has some left to check out lol.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Fantastic Member Crazyspideyfan's Avatar

Wonder how the climax of this universe will work, will the 616 Illuminati find their way into this world to put a stop to the Maker once and for all once he’s free again, or will the new Ultimates and Ultimate heroes gather to take down the corrupt government? The Maker did this to make a point to 616 Reed, he’s probably going to try to find him again, the 616 Illuminati know he’s up to no good.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crazyspideyfan View Post
    Wonder how the climax of this universe will work, will the 616 Illuminati find their way into this world to put a stop to the Maker once and for all once he’s free again, or will the new Ultimates and Ultimate heroes gather to take down the corrupt government? The Maker did this to make a point to 616 Reed, he’s probably going to try to find him again, the 616 Illuminati know he’s up to no good.
    I can imagine Maker's return will probably be an event title or its own book, but once he's dealt with the new universe will continue on as is introducing new threats and problems past Maker's myth arc.

Hickman certainly has set up an interesting status quo for Spider-Man:

-May is dead but Ben is alive in 6160
    -Peter is working at the Planet, and Ben was his boss! Ben and Jonah being pals was a hoot.
    -Peter and Harry don’t have a history just yet but MJ did know/date(?) Harry for a bit
    -Peter willingly chooses to be Spider-Man because he’s always felt like his life has been missing something
    -6160 Matt Murdock is blind and a priest (Hickman must’ve been irritated that 616 Matt is also that right now), no sign of whether or not 6160 Matt has powers or is planning on becoming Daredevil
    Matt became blind in the same incident that gave him his powers, so even if he's not using them as Daredevil he should have them. If the accident never happened, he wouldn't be blind!
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Crazyspideyfan View Post
    Tony makes it clear that his plan is to gather all of the new heroes and take the fight to Maker’s Cabal. In two years Maker himself will be free to exit the City, so I can see a big crossover event where the 616 Illuminati team up with the 6160 Ultimates to take down Maker (maybe they’ll even rope in 1610 at some point somehow). Miles has that card that Maker gave him, that’s probably how the Illuminati will figure out where Maker went.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Tony makes it clear that his plan is to gather all of the new heroes and take the fight to Maker’s Cabal. In two years Maker himself will be free to exit the City, so I can see a big crossover event where the 616 Illuminati team up with the 6160 Ultimates to take down Maker (maybe they’ll even rope in 1610 at some point somehow). Miles has that card that Maker gave him, that’s probably how the Illuminati will figure out where Maker went.
    Be kind of funny to have Miles team-up with another adult Peter Parker .

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Plawsky View Post
    Fantastic start! It's a little slow, but Hickman does a great job laying out what makes this world different than others we've seen before. Ben being alive is awesome, and I'm glad this UU seems to have a great Jonah just like the last one. And of course, the Pete/MJ relationship is quite refreshing. Can't wait to see where this goes.

My one worry is that the Tony/Maker side of things is going to take over the book (and the other UU books), rather than letting the new universe develop on its own.

And Checcetto's art is unbelievable. I really need to see him do some action, though... that's where he really shines.
    Hello, sir.

Quote Originally Posted by wyokid View Post
    Hello, sir.
    Get out of here, you.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Captain America View Post
    I'm well aware of that. I have not forgiven the false publicity stunt, and have zero expectations. And so far, with good reason: of the characters that we have seen enough to compare, Tony is a loser with daddy issues and no charisma (and an awful name to boot, "Iron Lad"), Thor is just the standard version, Reed is a lackey with no agency, Hulk is a Bond villain, and the Maker has become a really boring villain Sue. I have not seen anything about the future ongoings (I prefer to discover everything when I read the comic), but as far as I know the X-men are not keeping the heavy metal costumes, and that's also a big negative comparison.
    I'm not really sure how this Tony is a loser or has more daddy issues than any other version of Tony. If anything, he seems to be more idealistic and uncompromising than his father and has the whole "he may be destined to become evil" thing hanging over his head.

Reed isn't really a lackey. He's traumatized and has been imprisoned and psychologically tortured for years, but he fought back against Maker the first chance he got and neither of the Starks would have managed anything they've done so far without him. And we still don't know much about him or what his thoughts and motives are to make any clear assessment of what his deal is yet.

I have a big soft spot for the classic Ultimate Universe and was annoyed by them advertising this as a revival of it (although I get the impression the plan was very different when Cates was going to be writing it), but it feels like most of these criticisms have less to do with what the books are and more about what they are not. You're mad it isn't the old Ultimate Universe, which I get, but if your only metric for quality is comparing it to the old line, I doubt you're going to be any happier as it goes on.

The two lines are very different things. I don't see either as "objectively better" or "inferior" as you and the other poster put it. They're just different.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

I had a brief thought yesterday and thought I’d mention it here, but it’s kinda more like Hickmans version of Heroes Reborn than it is Ultimate.

Fantastic Member Crazyspideyfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    I'm not really sure how this Tony is a loser or has more daddy issues than any other version of Tony. If anything, he seems to be more idealistic and uncompromising than his father and has the whole "he may be destined to become evil" thing hanging over his head.

Reed isn't really a lackey. He's traumatized and has been imprisoned and psychologically tortured for years, but he fought back against Maker the first chance he got and neither of the Starks would have managed anything they've done so far without him. And we still don't know much about him or what his thoughts and motives are to make any clear assessment of what his deal is yet.

I have a big soft spot for the classic Ultimate Universe and was annoyed by them advertising this as a revival of it (although I get the impression the plan was very different when Cates was going to be writing it), but it feels like most of these criticisms have less to do with what the books are and more about what they are not. You're mad it isn't the old Ultimate Universe, which I get, but if your only metric for quality is comparing it to the old line, I doubt you're going to be any happier as it goes on.

The two lines are very different things. I don't see either as "objectively better" or "inferior" as you and the other poster put it. They're just different.
    Cates definitely seemed to be building to a continuation of the old Ultimate Universe with everything being in ruins, but I’m still super excited to see how this new universe turns out

So far, the dialogue in the Ultimate Invasion as well as Ultimate Spider-Man felt really weak for some reason. Jonathan Hickman's dialogue in his previous works were much better.
    Last edited by Ubauba01; 01-15-2024 at 08:20 AM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Plawsky View Post
    Get out of here, you.
    Oh...okay...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by wyokid; 01-15-2024 at 08:55 AM.