Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Was anyone else a little a little thrown off by the f-bombs here?

I know it's black label and bears the 17+ rating and moreover I know the greatest generation did swear...but it just felt out of left field to me. It felt like it was born more out of, "Hey, we're a 'mature' book so let's say 'f&@!'" more than an organic moment.

That said, I'm still really loving the stripped down feel to the story and I loved the period setting.
    Not really because i played the Telltale series recently. So it didnt faze me.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Not really because i played the Telltale series recently. So it didnt faze me.
    It felt the same way in the Telltale games too, it just felt like it was done to be "mature" and "edgy" and not because it fit.

It's certainly not a deal breaker but it just seemed like yet another case where someone thought, "Swearing makes the story mature!" And it's not as if I have a problem with swearing, I live just south of Boston so I use F@#$! like it's a comma in my everyday speech, it's just that there's a flow to it when used right, especially in genre fiction, and this wasn't it.
    Last edited by thwhtGuardian; 04-14-2024 at 11:36 AM.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    It felt the same way in the Telltale games too, it just felt like it was done to be "mature" and "edgy" and not because it fit.

It's certainly not a deal breaker but it just seemed like yet another case where someone thought, "Swearing makes the story mature!" And it's not as if I have a problem with swearing, I live just south of Boston so I use F@#$! like it's a comma in my everyday speech, it's just that there's a flow to it when used right, especially in genre fiction, and this wasn't it.
    I understand the argument. It just didnt bother me in either case.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

On the swearing, it bugs me more to see **** when reading a Black Label book rather than the actual word.

It's supposed to be the mature label and, while swearing doesn't make it more mature by itself, censoring the swearing looks immature to me. Like, They want to swear but can't actually show the naughty word.

I'm English, we swear a lot, so find the swearing pretty appropriate to how people would talk/react in everyday life.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    spoilers:
    i think the voice is Hugo Strange.
    end of spoilers
    That's what I've been hoping for. They're one of my favourites.

Finally read part 2 yesterday and I continue to love this book. If Jurgens nails the landing its on course to be my favourite Batman book of the year.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!