Art by MIKE PERKINS
    Cover by MIKE PERKINS
    Pulp novel variant cover by MARC ASPINALL
    Variant cover by RAMON PEREZ
    1:25 variant cover by JACOB PHILLIPS
    $6.99 | 48 pages | 1 of 3 | Prestige Plus | 8 1/2″ x 10 7/8″
    (all covers are card stock)
    ON SALE 3/5/24

The year is 1939. The world, still reeling from the horrors of the First World War, is on the brink of tipping into an even more gruesome conflict, as fascism is on the march—and gathering strength in America’s darkest corners. Against this backdrop, a series of violent murders has begun in Gotham, and the recent emergence of the mysterious vigilante known as The Bat-Man has the power brokers of the city living in fear of institutional collapse. All of the evidence in the murder investigation defies logic: the perpetrators are all men who died in the electric chair. But when the Bat- Man comes face to face with one of these sickening anomalies, he barely escapes with his life—throwing into question his ability to survive in a world that is brutally evolving around him! Legendary writer Dan Jurgens and superstar artist Mike Perkins return to the earliest days of the Dark Knight, retelling one of his most infamous cases through an acutely modern lens, depicting a world paralyzed by anxiety and a desperate populace crying out for release!
    https://comicbookdispatch.com/batman...solicitations/

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    From the February 2024 solicitations:https://comicbookdispatch.com/batman...solicitations/
    That's an immediate sale from me, looks awesome!
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

This reminds me of the idea behind 5G Batman.

Wow, an actually interesting BL book with Batman.

That's rarer than Bigfoot and Nessie.

Astonishing Member

Wow! It's practically like DC read my mind (or maybe they do actually read the threads on this forum ).

Totally here for this. It seems like it checks every box I had for my dream Golden Age Batman story.

I'm a bit curious though - is this a totally original story, or an adaptation of one of the early Kane/Finger stories? Doesn't sound like it, and yet they're calling this a "retelling of one of his most infamous cases".

Also, is that Wayne Manor in that image? Interesting if that's the case, given that Wayne Manor didn't really exist back in the 1939 comics (though we never did get a good look at where Bruce actually lived in those early stories). I do hope they try to stay as true as possible to the actual 1939-40 stories without backporting too much later stuff. Definitely don't want to see Alfred here.
    Last edited by bat39; 11-19-2023 at 11:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Wow! It's practically like DC read my mind (or maybe they do actually read the threads on this forum ).

Totally here for this. It seems like it checks every box I had for my dream Golden Age Batman story.

I'm a bit curious though - is this a totally original story, or an adaptation of one of the early Kane/Finger stories? Doesn't sound like it, and yet they're calling this a "retelling of one of his most infamous cases".

Also, is that Wayne Manor in that image? Interesting if that's the case, given that Wayne Manor didn't really exist back in the 1939 comics (though we never did get a good look at where Bruce actually lived in those early stories). I do hope they try to stay as true as possible to the actual 1939-40 stories without backporting too much later stuff. Definitely don't want to see Alfred here.
    Jim Gordon better be an old dude who indulges his rich buddy Bruce Wayne too much .

Maybe they should bring back that fat detective due who always had it out for Batman...he was like a proto-Harvey Bullock.

I'm curious about what Batman's adventures in the 1930s would be like so this might fill that desire. I'm cutting back on Marvel and DC next year so I might trade wait it.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Maybe they should bring back that fat detective due who always had it out for Batman...he was like a proto-Harvey Bullock.
    You mean this guy?
    Back during the Golden Age, Detective McGonigle played a role in two stories from Batman #3 (Fall 1940).

But I don't know if he was ever used again after that.

Good old McGonigle .

Fantastic Member Hurricane Billy's Avatar

Oh I am all in for this. But then, I'm always a sucker for when contemporary writers/artists whip up a new Batman comic that reimagines the old Golden Age material.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

I'll definitely give this a go but I haven't been really excited by anything Jurgens has done since his return to DC. It'll likely be fine and solid enough but nothing more, so hopefully the art will carry it.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    I'll definitely give this a go but I haven't been really excited by anything Jurgens has done since his return to DC. It'll likely be fine and solid enough but nothing more, so hopefully the art will carry it.
    These days, "fine and solid" are hard for me to find at DC.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

These days, "fine and solid" are hard for me to find at DC.
    I'm more a "new and/or interesting" guy myself. Also a little tough to find.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Jim Gordon better be an old dude who indulges his rich buddy Bruce Wayne too much .

LOL, yeah!

I don't mind if they keep the retcon from Secret Origins # 6 that Gordon was a friend of Bruce's Uncle Phillip.

But yeah, definitely want to see Bruce chilling with Gordon. And maybe Julie Madison should get some love as well.

Astonishing Member

The first Batman book I would buy in years. I hope its successful enough to make it an ongoing.