Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    I'm a bit curious though - is this a totally original story, or an adaptation of one of the early Kane/Finger stories? Doesn't sound like it, and yet they're calling this a "retelling of one of his most infamous cases".
    One of the variants does mention "Monster Men", so could be another take on that story from Batman #1:

Hope not though, as we already have the version that Matt Wagner did.

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Wow! It's practically like DC read my mind (or maybe they do actually read the threads on this forum ).

Totally here for this. It seems like it checks every box I had for my dream Golden Age Batman story.

I'm a bit curious though - is this a totally original story, or an adaptation of one of the early Kane/Finger stories? Doesn't sound like it, and yet they're calling this a "retelling of one of his most infamous cases".

Also, is that Wayne Manor in that image? Interesting if that's the case, given that Wayne Manor didn't really exist back in the 1939 comics (though we never did get a good look at where Bruce actually lived in those early stories). I do hope they try to stay as true as possible to the actual 1939-40 stories without backporting too much later stuff. Definitely don't want to see Alfred here.
    It's described as a retelling so it feels like an adaptation.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    One of the variants does mention "Monster Men", so could be another take on that story from Batman #1:

Maybe it'll be a showcase of the best of the Golden Age Batman?

Astonishing Member

Just give us a Batman book, that plays in the 40´s. It should stand alone, no shared continuity with whatever. No superpowers, just crime/action/heroes and villains. No other characters like Superman etc. No Robin!

Astonishing Member

Yeah, now that I think about it, it does make sense.

I mean, its one of the most iconic early Golden Age Batman stories (alongside 'The Case of the Chemical Syndicate', obviously, and the Monk two-parer), but if they were choosing to adapt a story from that era, I'd have preferred something different. After all, as you've pointed out, we've already gotten an adaptation of this one.

'Dirigible of Doom' would have been an interesting one. An early Batman taking on a wannabe dictator with a death-ray sounds like pulp-fiction gold, and would really help distinguish this from your average Year One Batman story!

Hell, even the Dr. Death story (which also kinda got a modern adaptation in Zero Year) might have been a better pick.

Still, regardless, I am excited for this. I hope they retain the bit with Batman gunning down the Monster Men (and hanging one), and don't chicken out and retro-fit modern "Batman doesn't kill" ideas to the First Knight

Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post
    Just give us a Batman book, that plays in the 40´s. It should stand alone, no shared continuity with whatever. No superpowers, just crime/action/heroes and villains. No other characters like Superman etc. No Robin!
    An interesting idea...but how much scope is there really in such a project? Remember, the pre-Robin phase actually lasted all of 11 issues. And if you get past that period, even if you exclude Robin, but feature the likes of Joker, Catwoman, Penguin etc., then how different would this be from your average Year One Batman book, aesthetics aside?

I think a better application for this might be a series of minis or one-shots? Either adapting old stories, or doing new ones set in between?

And why stay restricted to the Golden Age? Why not a Silver Age Batman mini as well?

Extraordinary Member

Could be off base on this but I feel like if this kind of thing sold well we'd have already gotten it. Maybe I'm wrong but between Elseworld's and random things like First Wave I feel like Golden Age/Pulp-y Batman isn't exactly uncommon.

Fantastic Member

To be honest, it's not like Superman actually appears a lot in Batman stories. Even when he does, he is mostly being mind controlled so he can be used as an obstacle for Bruce.

Amazing Member

i love Golden Age Batman im sure i would read this

Extraordinary Member

Mike Perkins was on Word Balloon so we got some info - Jurgens will also be on soon so I assume we'll get more then:
    • This is set roughly 1 week to 1 month after Detective Comics #27
    • They're not looking to revist or expand upon what Wagner did
    • Will focus on Batman going after gangsters and corrupt politicians rather than supervillains

Mike Perkins was on Word Balloon so we got some info - Jurgens will also be on soon so I assume we'll get more then:
    • This is set roughly 1 week to 1 month after Detective Comics #27
    • They're not looking to revist or expand upon what Wagner did
    • Will focus on Batman going after gangsters and corrupt politicians rather than supervillains
    Sounds classic! Though it also looks like we'll be getting some Monster Men .

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Sounds classic! Though it also looks like we'll be getting some Monster Men .
    I'm guessing that'll be what this builds up to?

Bat-Man starts out taking down gangsters and corrupt politicians, but eventually he has to deal with the Monster Men, which marks his transition from vigilante to supervillain?

I'm not sure how doing monster men is not revisiting what Wagner did?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    I'm not sure how doing monster men is not revisiting what Wagner did?
    Yea, saw the solicit - I don't know. The Jurgens episode of Word Balloon dropped so maybe he reveals more details.

Extraordinary Member

THE BAT-MAN: FIRST KNIGHT #2
    Written by DAN JURGENS
    Art and cover by MIKE PERKINS
    Pulp novel variant cover by MARC ASPINALL
    Variant cover by SEBASTIAN FIUMARA
    $6.99 US | 48 pages | 2 of 3 | Prestige Plus | 8 1/2″ x 10 7/8″ (all covers are card stock)
    ON SALE 4/2/24

Monster men continue to terrorize Gotham City, but with the body count rising, the GCPD is no closer to solving the mystery behind these seemingly undead assailants, and the Bat-Man and Gordon are the only ones willing to brave the criminal underworld to crack the case. It’s after a near-death brawl saving the mayor from the monster men that the Bat-Man must face a stark reality…are his fists and willpower enough to save Gotham?

Extraordinary Member

Yea, saw the solicit - I don't know. The Jurgens episode of Word Balloon dropped so maybe he reveals more details.
    Here's the Word Balloon episode - they touch a bit on this project but there's not much there in terms of detail, Jurgens does mention Hugo Strange and his monster men but it doesn't sound like they will be the main villains, instead it'll be someone called "The Voice". re: Matt Wagner's work he says he purposefully didn't go back and read Mad Monk/Monster Men before beginning work on this. Finally Perkins is currently working on the art for issue #3 so hopefully there'll be no delays.