Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Again, they did make a youngblood cartoon pilot for fox kids but they passed on it. Wonder how well it would have done?

Based on the promo there, I can easily see why it wasn't picked up.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Again, they did make a youngblood cartoon pilot for fox kids but they passed on it. Wonder how well it would have done?

I'd never seen this before, thanks for sharing it! They could have found something a bit more compelling for them to fight against than giant robots just to display their abilities, but the designs and animation doesn't look terrible... for 1994. Although considering how little success WILDC.A.T.S found at the time and considering this was supposed to air concurrently to that along with Cyberforce, I'll assume Liefeld's and Silvestri's characters would have met the same early demise as Jim Lee's.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post

I think it would work better in something like adult swim. As a parody of the Saturday morning cartoons.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    I think it would work better in something like adult swim. As a parody of the Saturday morning cartoons.
    I know, right?! I mean, Alan Moore: The Watchmen is a perfect example...

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Despite being bad quality, the footage, that Youngblood promo reel didn't look worse than anything else that made it into a cartoon time block that I recall anyway.

The Watchmen, is the reel itself a parody cause I don't see it on IMDB? It would've just been a mockery, like making Robocop and Rambo into Saturday morning cartoons...oh, wait.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    Really.

...wow.

I know that Image placed art above plot/basic competence, but damn. I wonder how they decided on Supreme's design.

"Hey, how about a Superman clone. But instead of anything distinctive, he just has a white suit and a red square on his chest."

"Hmm, needs more."

"A hammer like Thor?"

"Sure, okay, if you can give it some character."

"...sure, totally gonna."

Not seeing any loss, really.

First, we need to acknowledge that Marvel is MUCH worse about incorporating characters acquired from other publishers into their titles than DC is. Aside from Angela, we haven't really seen anyone else come in to play a big role (I know Miracleman's been alluded to, but it still hasn't really happened). The Ultraverse and CrossGen properties, as others have mentioned, have more or less been collecting dust, as opposed to Fawcett, Quality, Charlton, Wildstorm, even Milestone to a degree.

That said, were somebody to bring in Liefled's titles to Marvel, I think the best use for the majority of them would be to plant them somewhere in Marvel history, say the late 80s/early 90s, to fill the gap resulting from the sliding timeline. Some of the more popular/long-lived characters could still be around today, like Supreme or Badrock, but the rest could have aged out of the game naturally or have been killed. Like, I could see Shaft and Vogue being older senior officials in a S.H.I.E.L.D.-type agency, like how Howard Stark and Peggy Carter were in the Ant-Man movie. And there are certainly elements you could pull from the books that would bolster the modern-day MCU. But overall, I think the majority of those characters, if brought in, would be best in the decades that introduced them.

That is true. Marvel success incorporating other propierties is less than successful. Unleast it is on a temporary basis. (See the Marvel not-owned propierties thread).
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    I know, right?! I mean, Alan Moore: The Watchmen is a perfect example...

WTH did I just watch?

Quote Originally Posted by Timber Wolf-By-Night View Post
    WTH did I just watch?
    Something that is 100% accurate to cartoons of the late 80s and early 90s.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    That is true. Marvel success incorporating other propierties is less than successful. Unleast it is on a temporary basis. (See the Marvel not-owned propierties thread).
    In fairness, outside of Crossgen and Ultraverse, Marvel barely has the rights to other properties.

Young Blood and the rest of Rob's crap would never be worth it regardless. His Image contributions placed his crappy art above storytelling, something that freakin' Stan Lee knew not to do in the 60s.

Star War, Aliens, Predator, Miracleman, Planet of the Apes.
    Propierties than marvel enevutly could add to its multiverse.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Marvel has hundreds of characters that they invented themselves and don't have much bandwidth for. Seems kind of pointless to add yet more to the stable, when they've already got so much more on their plate than they can eat.

And the way DC is (not) using the various great characters from Wildstorm is hardly inspiring.
    Having Angela to Marvel was a complete waste of time. Just like the Ultraverse. What was a sad moment was Jim Lee selling Wildstorm to DC Comics in the late 1990's. If Lee had weathered the storm that was the comics downtrend(at the time) Wildstorm would had been a great company like Dark Horse Comics. I never liked the idea of Wildstorm going to DC because they would not use those characters after a while. Just like Marvel ownership of Malibu Comics.

I miss the old Wildstorm Comics. Especially Gen 13, WildCATS, and Deathblow...

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Based on the promo there, I can easily see why it wasn't picked up.
    CBS wanted to do the Youngblood cartoon. But Liefield made demands that killed the deal going forward.

https://screenrant.com/rob-liefeld-y...n-xmen-marvel/
    https://www.comicsbeat.com/rob-liefe...om-youngblood/