Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    Amazing Member

In the most recent volume of Marvel Masterworks for Amazing Spider-Man there were some interesting notes about what Roger Stern planned for Amazing 253-264. in 256 MJ was supposed to get involved in some "fashion business intrigue". Perhaps she would have eventually crossed paths with Roderick Kingsley in one way or another? Perhaps somehow leading to Kingsley learning Spider-Man's identity and truly make him a worthy successor to Green Goblin
    Last edited by A Maze Thing; 12-11-2023 at 10:05 AM.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Doesn't Hobgoblin show up in Miles Morales? Which one is that?

Quote Originally Posted by A Maze Thing View Post
    In the most recent volume of Marvel Masterworks for Amazing Spider-Man there were some interesting notes about what Roger Stern planned for Amazing 253-264. in 256 MJ was supposed to get involved in some "fashion business intrigue". Perhaps she would have eventually crossed paths with Roderick Kingsley in one way or another? Perhaps somehow leading to Kingsley learning Spider-Man's identity and truly make him a worthy successor to Green Goblin
    I doubt Kingsley would've learned Parker was Spider-Man but he needed more screen time to sell the idea that he was Hobgoblin.
    Last edited by Triniking1234; 12-11-2023 at 10:27 AM.
    "Cable was right!"

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I like Kingsley for how he contrasts with Norman and can be a little more crafty/cowardly and always out to make a buck rather than for personal Supervillain reasons.
    I think that was always what made Hobgoblin different from Green Goblin, that he was more just a greedy gangster type, and I think that is indeed what made him interesting, but I was still disappointed with the guy under the mask being Kingsley. The original Hobgoblin was a great villain, one of my favorites, but I'm just let down by how uninteresting the man under the mask ended up being.

The animated series version was great because he was a composite of the best elements of Kingsley, Macendale and even Lefty Donovan.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    I think that was always what made Hobgoblin different from Green Goblin, that he was more just a greedy gangster type, and I think that is indeed what made him interesting, but I was still disappointed with the guy under the mask being Kingsley. The original Hobgoblin was a great villain, one of my favorites, but I'm just let down by how uninteresting the man under the mask ended up being.

The animated series version was great because he was a composite of the best elements of Kingsley, Macendale and even Lefty Donovan.
    It's a shame we couldn't see Stern's original plan in action. Kingsley *could* have been made interesting in subsequent 10-20 issues with MJ back in the fold, and then the reveal could have had real meat to it. The way it actually played out, between Stern leaving, DeFalco leaving, editorial . . . interference, and then years of the story laying fallow, probably optimized against Kingsley being a good choice. That having been said, I do like how he is now - Peter really does need a couple heavy weight villains who are *just* Spider-man villains and have nothing to do with Peter or his friends
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Quote Originally Posted by A Maze Thing View Post
    That would've been interesting. Maybe rope in that female villain Stern created.

I guess for me I came into it post-reveal so it was easier for me to accept Kingsley as the Hobgoblin.

BANNED

That would've been interesting. Maybe rope in that female villain Stern created.

I guess for me I came into it post-reveal so it was easier for me to accept Kingsley as the Hobgoblin.
    I started reading during Macendale's time and with the comics and the cartoon, he was the version I was familiar with and I thought he was cool. I was aware of Leeds only by reputation and I remember thinking it was cool bringing back the original Hobgoblin, but I've just never found Kingsley an interesting character, as much as I've tried. His Hobgoblin persona is great, as I found when I went back and read the original Hobgoblin stuff. It's just hard to accept the guy under the costume is so bland a character.

I started reading during Macendale's time and with the comics and the cartoon, he was the version I was familiar with and I thought he was cool. I was aware of Leeds only by reputation and I remember thinking it was cool bringing back the original Hobgoblin, but I've just never found Kingsley an interesting character, as much as I've tried. His Hobgoblin persona is great, as I found when I went back and read the original Hobgoblin stuff. It's just hard to accept the guy under the costume is so bland a character.
    My first introduction to the Hobgoblin was the 90's show as well and in the comics it was around the Big Time era and then when Slott brought him back and then Hobgoblin Lives etc...so I guess that kind of informed my preference for Kingsley.

Also the AXE Hobgoblin mini where he turned into a corrupt Superhero promoter was a lot of fun.

BANNED

My first introduction to the Hobgoblin was the 90's show as well and in the comics it was around the Big Time era and then when Slott brought him back and then Hobgoblin Lives etc...so I guess that kind of informed my preference for Kingsley.

Also the AXE Hobgoblin mini where he turned into a corrupt Superhero promoter was a lot of fun.
    I always meant to read that AXIS storyline. My disappointment in Kingsley aside, Hobgoblin (in any form) is maybe favorite Spider-Man villain. The Osborns are great villains, but I love Hobgoblin for how he's just this power hungry, a-hole mercenary/gangster type character. Osborn is a full-on crazy person, but every version of Hobgoblin is just some sleazy lowlife out to make some money and I love that contrast.

Also, Mark Hamill doing his voice is an added bonus.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

I loved this series so much. He somehow comes across as even MORE of a slimy piece of crap. Lol.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Fantastic Member

I love Kingsley as Hobgoblin. I like that he's the superhero equivalent of a workplace rival for Spidey. I love that it's not a personal vendetta. I think there's so much that could be explored with him but unfortunately everyone's just like "well when Hobgoblin was popular it was when his identity was a mystery so we gotta do a riff on that!"

Quote Originally Posted by Coop View Post
    I love Kingsley as Hobgoblin. I like that he's the superhero equivalent of a workplace rival for Spidey. I love that it's not a personal vendetta. I think there's so much that could be explored with him but unfortunately everyone's just like "well when Hobgoblin was popular it was when his identity was a mystery so we gotta do a riff on that!"
    Yeah, like Kingsley hates Spidey, but he doesn't let it undo him like other villains would.

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

So after reading Daredevil gang war. Who is this mysterious benefactor? spoilers:
    Norman, Paul or a new OC
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Mercwmouth12 View Post
    So after reading Daredevil gang war. Who is this mysterious benefactor? spoilers:
    Norman, Paul or a new OC
    end of spoilers
    I read some rumors that he will win the Gang War at the end of the event, so it's a possibility.