Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

He's too iconic but he should be already dead. I hope this is his last appereance, for good this time. I'm so tired of him being in every fucking run. Every year we have a Green Goblin arc, same thing with Kraven.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ImOctavius View Post
    He's too iconic but he should be already dead. I hope this is his last appereance, for good this time. I'm so tired of him being in every fucking run. Every year we have a Green Goblin arc, same thing with Kraven.
    They can’t even keep D-list villains like Spidercide dead. Of course they’re never killing off Norman permanently again.

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    They can’t even keep D-list villains like Spidercide dead. Of course they’re never killing off Norman permanently again.
    I know, but there should be a change. It's not a Spider-Man problem, it's a Marvel/DC problem. Spider-Man shouldn't depend on the same villian every year.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ImOctavius View Post
    I know, but there should be a change. It's not a Spider-Man problem, it's a Marvel/DC problem. Spider-Man shouldn't depend on the same villian every year.
    I agree. But I don’t think anything will change, especially with comic sales on life-support.

They're already trying to make Doc Oc Superior again (maybe).

Who is left? I mean, I guess Wells has been trying to make Tombstone a big deal again. Kindred fell apart completely. Mr. Negative is wayyyy bigger in media than he ever has been in the comics.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Who is left? I mean, I guess Wells has been trying to make Tombstone a big deal again. Kindred fell apart completely. Mr. Negative is wayyyy bigger in media than he ever has been in the comics.
    I mean one thing that confuses me is that IS Wells trying to make Tombstone a big deal? Like we got a good arc with him in the beginning of Wells' run or whatever. But then in #31 he just gets shot. And in #40 it looks like him and spidey are teaming up? I would think if Tombstone were going to be a big deal, you'd play it straight and just have him be the big bad of gang war. But that honor looks like it is going to some combination of madame masque and Janice Lincoln. And like, madame masque isn't going to start being a spider-man villain for long stretches of time, right? Isn't she an ironman villain? So it looks like we are in a situation where there aren't a lot of long term villains coming out of this run who seem particularly menacing. Which is weird, right? Cause Peter keeps losing all the time.
    Last edited by Moxxi517; 11-19-2023 at 09:40 PM.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

When the next creative team comes along I hope they insert tonnes of new villains. Was the last person who truly tried this JMS?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    When the next creative team comes along I hope they insert tonnes of new villains. Was the last person who truly tried this JMS?
    Dan Slott introduced a few new villains, although none were that memorable except Mr Negative (that was him, right?). JMS introduced a ton, but besides Morlun none were that memorable and were often too mystical in nature.

It seems really difficult for modern writers to create new villains that make a memorable enough impression on the fan base to stick around past their creator’s tenure on the book. It would be nice if that could change, but the villains need to be more unique and interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    Well Wells has created Paul, so…
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

Dan Slott introduced a few new villains, although none were that memorable except Mr Negative (that was him, right?). JMS introduced a ton, but besides Morlun none were that memorable and were often too mystical in nature.

It seems really difficult for modern writers to create new villains that make a memorable enough impression on the fan base to stick around past their creator’s tenure on the book. It would be nice if that could change, but the villains need to be more unique and interesting.
    The truth is that there are dozens of villains that aren’t in the “Sinister Six”-tier that are just not used. Writers created so many possibly interesting villains that never leave an impact because they’re rarely revisited or treated well by future writers.

I’ve shared before that I thought Black Tarantula was this force of nature in the comics for a bit. Mystical powers, cool design, seemingly immortal, a one-man army that absolutely beat the tar out of Peter in every single fight. Peter never won against him. And he just… exited stage left and become a non-factor.

But then you had random one-off villains like Buel the demon lord, or whatever the heck was going on with Conundrum. Anyone remember Conundrum?

Guy has a literal jigsaw face, bizarre mystical powers, a lack of personal identity, who speaks literally in puzzle-shaped dialogue boxes, and nobody cares to revisit him? Gotta just go back to Tombstone and Green Goblin and Doc Ock again and again?

We would at least have far more Kraven and Electro-tier villains if the ocean of one-off villains were better utilized. I’d even settle for White Rabbit-tier at this point.
    Join the "Spider-Fam" Community! - Celebrating Love and Advocating for Our Hero to Beat the Devil! - https://discord.gg/VQ2mHzBBFu

Dan Slott introduced a few new villains, although none were that memorable except Mr Negative (that was him, right?).
    I like Screwball.

But she's more of a criminal nuisance than a proper villain.

People seem to like Paper Doll but she's never come back.

White Rabbit deserves more stories. Or I guess the Syndicate in general just to make people think Spider-Man has worthwhile female Rogues.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    I like Screwball.

But she's more of a criminal nuisance than a proper villain.
    And the Insomniac games have kind of tainted her in the eyes of the general audience.

I did like her new anime hairstyle though...

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

I'm just gonna mention that people were moaning about Wells reusing Wayep because he was a one-off nothing villain...
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    I'm just gonna mention that people were moaning about Wells reusing Wayep because he was a one-off nothing villain...
    It’s all in the execution.

But a bad first impression also lingers.

Over at Moon Knight, fans are spreading the gospel of 8-Ball.
    Join the "Spider-Fam" Community! - Celebrating Love and Advocating for Our Hero to Beat the Devil! - https://discord.gg/VQ2mHzBBFu

Does anyone want to see Freak again?