Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I gave up after I read his thoughts about jean/scott/madelyne/logan

“Scott’s happy. He’s happy for probably the first time in his life. And he’s happy in a way that I don’t think he ever was with Jean. Yes, Scott loved her. Yes, she loved him — (until the Canadian showed up, but that’s a whole different direction to go in) — But the idea with Madelyne was that he put all those old feelings on the shelf where they were in a box where they belong and he was trying something new. And yes, it was a tease that she looked just like Jean, but that’s what melodrama is all about. The important thing for him was this was a new beginning.”

Does he remember he wrote phoenix saga?

Astonishing Member Grinning Soul's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Braxxer View Post
    I gave up after I read his thoughts about jean/scott/madelyne/logan

“Scott’s happy. He’s happy for probably the first time in his life. And he’s happy in a way that I don’t think he ever was with Jean. Yes, Scott loved her. Yes, she loved him — (until the Canadian showed up, but that’s a whole different direction to go in) — But the idea with Madelyne was that he put all those old feelings on the shelf where they were in a box where they belong and he was trying something new. And yes, it was a tease that she looked just like Jean, but that’s what melodrama is all about. The important thing for him was this was a new beginning.”

Does he remember he wrote phoenix saga?
    He doesn't even remember how he wrote Scott *and* Madelyne, so I'm pretty sure he doesn't.

Claremont was brilliant until his writing became more about satisfying his whims and/or fantasies than what made sense for the characters and stories. The example given on this very interview shows it clearly. He wanted the fans to know the marriage was real, so the couple sent that picture to Charles. Did it make sense for any of the characters involved? No. Did it matter to CC? No.

It doesn't erase the good stories, but unfortunate this attitude has spoiled the quality of his writing.

In my opinion, at least.
    Last edited by Grinning Soul; 11-23-2023 at 01:26 PM.

He’s on the money about Krakoa.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Yupp. Coming down to the end of his run it was obvious he was running close to empty.

I think...think...he was offered a contract not to work at any of the competitors, only for Marvel. And that's probably why he's still given work sporadically.
    From Mutant Massacre to the team going through the Siege Perilous is my favourite period of any mainstream comic.

After that he was still writing good stuff but Uncanny became more of a book about the last dregs of the X-Men and wasn’t as engaging without so many of what had been the core characters.

I think this era would have been reflected on more fondly had he been allowed to keep going.

Personally, I think I would have enjoyed seeing Wolverine join the Hand and Colossus rip his claws out.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Claremont wasn't good with the little bit he did with Logan and Jean. How often was she even in thought bubbles after she died? Conversations? Meaningful interaction when she was alive? But with Scott and Jean he wrote one of the best comic love stories of all time. Logan is infatuated with Jean. Thats it. And Jean? I just don';t see it. I actually loved the Claremont era. I know it doesn't seem like it.

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    Claremont wasn't good with the little bit he did with Logan and Jean. How often was she even in thought bubbles after she died? Conversations? Meaningful interaction when she was alive? But with Scott and Jean he wrote one of the best comic love stories of all time. Logan is infatuated with Jean. Thats it. And Jean? I just don';t see it. I actually loved the Claremont era. I know it doesn't seem like it.
    Last year or 2 years ago he said jean and logan are an endgame because jean as phoenix can’t die and logan is basically immortal so they’d outlive others

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Braxxer View Post
    Last year or 2 years ago he said jean and logan are an endgame because jean as phoenix can’t die and logan is basically immortal so they’d outlive others
    I've read that too. So, the basis of their relationship is that they both can't die.

Yep. That kind of longevity gives you a different perspective I would think. Hence probably why Jean has thrown caution to the wind and said “I’ll love whoever I want” and Scott and Logan just have to accept it, in terms of the current polyamory setup.
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

Astonishing Member

I recently read his New Mutants for the first time and enjoy it and I gotten the itch to want to reread all 17 years worth of Claremont X-MEN onmnibuses. athough I need to wait til they rerelease X-tinction Agenda omnibus. I know its alot

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    Yep. That kind of longevity gives you a different perspective I would think. Hence probably why Jean has thrown caution to the wind and said “I’ll love whoever I want” and Scott and Logan just have to accept it, in terms of the current polyamory setup.
    'You'll love whoever I want' if Here Comes Tomorrow is anything to go by.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev9 View Post
    'You'll love whoever I want' if Here Comes Tomorrow is anything to go by.
    The verb she used was live, not love and just because it was sent telepathically back in time, it does *not* mean it was forceful. It could have been simply the actual words. It could have been the feeling of a "it's okay to pursue this relationship if it'll keep you alive."

It could even have been forceful.

The thing is that the text simply does *not* say what exactly that was. And, by the way, that is not even 616 Jean (at least yet, but technically ever). That was a Jean who was reborn from an egg on different timeline/future that stopped existing.

Ultimate Member

Back in the 80s, before Rogue had a name, Pizza Hut had a special where they gave away X-Men cups (which I, of course, got all four, even if meant I had to go four times!). The placemats had X-Men questions, and one was 'What is Rogue's real name? 1) Jean. 2) Ororo. 3) Marie. 4) Nobody knows. and the correct answer was 'Nobody knows,' because Marie was a name they'd just made up. Then it randomly became part of her real name and I wondered if a ****ing Pizza Hut merchandising tie-in might have had a hand in naming Rogue by getting 'Marie' stuck in someone's head?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Soul View Post
    The verb she used was live, not love and just because it was sent telepathically back in time, it does *not* mean it was forceful. It could have been simply the actual words. It could have been the feeling of a "it's okay to pursue this relationship if it'll keep you alive."

It could even have been forceful.

The thing is that the text simply does *not* say what exactly that was. And, by the way, that is not even 616 Jean (at least yet, but technically ever). That was a Jean who was reborn from an egg on different timeline/future that stopped existing.
    I know that she used live, but going by the result it was tantamount to love. It as if she said 'You'll live however I want' .Bigger point is there's no agency for Scott in the circumstance.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Back in the 80s, before Rogue had a name, Pizza Hut had a special where they gave away X-Men cups (which I, of course, got all four, even if meant I had to go four times!). The placemats had X-Men questions, and one was 'What is Rogue's real name? 1) Jean. 2) Ororo. 3) Marie. 4) Nobody knows. and the correct answer was 'Nobody knows,' because Marie was a name they'd just made up. Then it randomly became part of her real name and I wondered if a ****ing Pizza Hut merchandising tie-in might have had a hand in naming Rogue by getting 'Marie' stuck in someone's head?
    This is funny and, I'd say, possible! :D

Sometimes, something stays in the mind of a creator and they don't even know until someone points out.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev9 View Post
    I know that she used live, but going by the result it was tantamount to love. It as if she said 'You'll live however I want' .Bigger point is there's no agency for Scott in the circumstance.
    You do *not* know that because the text does *not* say that. I'm not going to argue. I'm just pointing it out for the readers who have not the read the story.

But, by the way, the fact remains that was, for all intents and purposes, an AU Jean Grey (EDITED: from Earth-15104). Again: for people who did not read the story.
    Last edited by Grinning Soul; 11-25-2023 at 02:06 AM.