Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Let him stay in his dated lane.
    It's sad...that after decades he still cannot imagine or envision "his" characters changing, growing, developing beyond his initial concept of who they are. Yes we/they have our/their "demons" but one can argue that life is about either overcoming those challenges and growing past them as we face new and different ones or we succumb to them. What kind of life is it if we/they are stuck fighting the same battles over and over and over without any growth? Not a very fruitful positive one. And that is not really the message you want to selling in story if only for the fact that after the third telling it's just boring regurgitation (which if you've read Claremont's work, it's painfully obvious throughout the years).

By that article he really has no place in the current era or the era to come under Brevoort. Let him continue to microwave his frozen dinners while other relevant writers cook a proper feast.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 11-21-2023 at 10:22 AM.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Let him stay in his dated lane.
    It's sad...that after decades he still cannot imagine or envision "his" characters changing, growing, developing beyond his initial concept of who they are. Yes we/they have our/their "demons" but one can argue that life is about either overcoming those challenges and growing past them as we face new and different ones or we succumb to them. What kind of life is it if we/they are stuck fighting the same battles over and over and over without any growth? Not a very fruitful positive one. And that is not really the message you want to selling in story if only for the fact that after the third telling it's just boring regurgitation (which if you've read Claremont's work, it's painfully obvious throughout the years).

By that article he really has no place in the current era or the era to come under Brevoort. Let him continue to microwave his frozen dinners while other relevant writers cook a proper feast.
    He fell out with Marvel because he didn’t want to rehash old plot lines while BH and Jim Lee did.

It's always fun to read a bitter Claremont interview. The man truly hates that other people get to play with his toys even though he doesn't own them. I love what he did for the franchise but the franchise has outgrown him. Honestly I wouldn't want to read a CC Krakoa era book or whatever is to come afterwards. Him doing these flashback stories that don't matter is for the best.
    The Avengers are Firefighters. We're the ones who fly into the blaze, whatever it is. Because we're the ones who
    can, so we're the ones who have to.~Captain Marvel

Quote Originally Posted by JJS View Post
    He fell out with Marvel because he didn’t want to rehash old plot lines while BH and Jim Lee did.
    Oh, the Irony.

Absolutely for the best.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

I decided to read the interview after I saw several posts here commenting about his negative attitude toward stuff he wasn't involved in, and yep, this just further cements that I don't want him anywhere near Lorna. I noticed how each time he returned to do something and wrote her, he went out of his way to present her as a weakling unless Havok's involved somehow. I have no doubt he would do exactly that yet again if he ended up writing her again. The progress Lorna's made since him has been in spite of him, not because of him.

Another person who proves out the general rule that veteran creators end up getting stuck on their own nostalgia for things they did as they get older.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

I'm betting the Kitty-gate he was referring to is when he returned to the books (well before X-Treme; I think it might have been after The Twelve) and she said "I'm only 16."

Quote Originally Posted by Shortpack! View Post
    I'm betting the Kitty-gate he was referring to is when he returned to the books (well before X-Treme; I think it might have been after The Twelve) and she said "I'm only 16."
    I love Shortpack!

Also, The Twelve was at the end of 1999, and X-Treme debuted in 2001. Not a ton of time in between...
    Queen of Mutants, Mistress of Magnetism, Magnetrix and the MII, Pestilence of the Horsemen of Apocalypse, the Krakoan Oracle and creator of the Sanctus Sacrum Tournament Key, the Threshold Seed Shaper, Brood Queen of the Fall of the House of X, Lorna Sally Dane, Ph.D., of the House of M, Polaris of the X-Men

Quote Originally Posted by Steroid View Post
    The man truly hates that other people get to play with his toys even though he doesn't own them.
    Isn’t that normal? The X-men were his “children” during a long time… It’s a common pattern among authors.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

I won't say it's common. Most writers seem happy to move on to other projects and stretch their talent and imaginations even after just a year or two. Granted Claremont was on the xbooks for 16 plus years so I understand his attachment but it's been decades...time to let it TF go.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

I won't say it's common. Most writers seem happy to move on to other projects and stretch their talent and imaginations even after just a year or two. Granted Claremont was on the xbooks for 16 plus years so I understand his attachment but it's been decades...time to let it TF go.
    and he never reached the same levels of success that he did with the X-Men. I'm just surprised he never jumped to DC and do Teen Titans or Legion

Yupp. Coming down to the end of his run it was obvious he was running close to empty.

I think...think...he was offered a contract not to work at any of the competitors, only for Marvel. And that's probably why he's still given work sporadically.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Yupp. Coming down to the end of his run it was obvious he was running close to empty.

I think...think...he was offered a contract not to work at any of the competitors, only for Marvel. And that's probably why he's still given work sporadically.
    Yeah and if that is the case, why be so salty it literally is just business.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    and he never reached the same levels of success that he did with the X-Men. I'm just surprised he never jumped to DC and do Teen Titans or Legion
    True. Instead he did Sovereign Seven

Quote Originally Posted by GoingGreen View Post
    I love Shortpack!

Also, The Twelve was at the end of 1999, and X-Treme debuted in 2001. Not a ton of time in between...
    Wait?! WHAT?! X-Treme was... I... uh... er... but... I... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

I think I may need to change my name to "Old Man Shortpack!"

X-Men Monday Call for Questions: Fabian Nicieza for ‘Cable’
    https://aiptcomics.com/2023/11/22/x-...nicieza-cable/

“Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”