Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lightbulb If you could revive a classic DC Comic

If you could bring back a classic DC title, what would you do with it?

I’ve been thinking about how some classic titles like Sensation, All-Star and Adventure Comics have all been out of stores for many years. If you had the power to bring titles like them back, what would be their general concepts? Who would they star?

All-Star Comics: I’d use it as the home for solos stories of JSA characters who don’t have ongoings. I’d give the book to Jeremy Adams and have him create loosely connected solo arcs starring characters like Jay Garrick, Alan Scott, Hour Man, Jesse Quick, Doctor Fate etc. Judging by how many JSA minis they’re publishing at the same time, I think there’s a market for this.

Adventure Comics: Make it the flagship book for non-GL cosmic stuff. One of the main plots would be Vril Dox assembling a new L.E.G.I.O.N. to persuade the United Planets to hire them as their primary police force. The book would also deal with Rann, Thanagar, the Omega Men etc.

Sensation Comics: Wonder Woman needs her own take on an ensemble family book like PJK's Action. I'd replace the terribly named Amazons Attack with a team book where Diana stars alongside Donna, Cassie, Yara, Nubia and Artemis. I'd give it to Phil Jimenez.

BONUS: Classic books that don't reviving, but that could use a new direction.

Action Comics: Here I'd actually *keep* the House of El instead of having the upcoming rotating solo Superman stories. The concept still has a lot of potential and I would love for them to bring back Linda Danvers as the team's supernatural expert (Seraph).

Detective Comics: After Ram V's run ends, I'd either bring back the Gotham Knights or have a bigger focus on Gordon and the GCPD.

Brave & the Bold: I’d scrap the current Batman-led book because it's all over the place in terms of quality and has no clear identity. Instead, I'd bring back the classic team-ups. The best modern version of the book was JMS's. Waid's World's Finests shows that something like that could succeed again. I think Jeff Parker and Doc Shaner or Chris Samnee could do some real magic here.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    All-Star Comics: I’d use it as the home for solos stories of JSA characters who don’t have ongoings. I’d give the book to Jeremy Adams and have him create loosely connected solo arcs starring characters like Jay Garrick, Alan Scott, Hour Man, Jesse Quick, Doctor Fate etc. Judging by how many JSA minis they’re publishing at the same time, I think there’s a market for this.
    I've said this before but a revival of All-Star with old style JSA stories with individual chapters and different artists in a trade paperback format is something I'd love to see.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Brave & the Bold: I’d scrap the current Batman-led book because it's all over the place in terms of quality and has no clear identity. Instead, I'd bring back the classic team-ups. The best modern version of the book was JMS's. Waid's World's Finests shows that something like that could succeed again. I think Jeff Parker and Doc Shaner or Chris Samnee could do some real magic here.
    ^^^You picked B&B so I’ll go with DC's other team up book and have it star my favorite Martian...:

Extraordinary Member

Justice League of America with the Satellite lineup plus J'onn J'onzz

All Star Squadron

Super Friends
    Last edited by caj; 11-22-2023 at 05:11 AM.

If you could bring back a classic DC title, what would you do with it?

I’ve been thinking about how some classic titles like Sensation, All-Star and Adventure Comics have all been out of stores for many years. If you had the power to bring titles like them back, what would be their general concepts? Who would they star?
    I was shocked when the cancelled adventure. That book, along with Action and Detective had lasted since the Golden Age, and it had been flexible. You want a Legion of Super Heroes book -- Adventure. Need a place for Supergirl -- Adventure. But the idea of books without a permanent main character like Action and Detective, were not seen as important no matter how long they had lasted.
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with The Darknight Detective (who has a much cooler name that I do))
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Extraordinary Member

Legends of the Dark Knight and Adventures of Superman - I'd repackage both along the lines of the "maybe canonical" original run of LOTDK; a sort of showcase for mostly "early" stories of the heroes, but able to be canonical or not depending on reception.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Definitely, my choice would be...

1st Issue Special

Ultimate Member

Definitely Adventure and Brave & the Bold, with B&tB being a team up book, preferably not necessarily one with one regular, but two randos with a related story, like that Aquaman / Etrigan teamup against some underwater cthuloid horror a few years back.

But also Secret Society of Super-Villains, because I don't want just stories about quasi-anti-heroes or villains-who-aren't-really-villains, I want a book for some actual bad-guys!

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    [center]Definitely, my choice would be...

1st Issue Special
    Have you been reading Danger Street?
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Astonishing Member

All-star Squadron: We (or at least I) really need more period books. This would basically be a place for whatever DC is currently calling the continuity of the Golden Age. Stories set in the 30's, 40's and maybe even the early 50's (The JSA disbanding and immediate aftermath)

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Bring back or change all the anthology books like action,detective, sensational..etc.If a character or story doesn't work cancel it by taking input from readers.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Retired

If I could, I'd bring back THE HOUSE OF MYSTERY and THE HOUSE OF SECRETS as horror anthologies hosted by Cain and Abel respectively. But for this you would need a great editor who can find the talent to contribute stories and art--someone on the level of a Joe Orlando or a Karen Berger.

The 1970s anthologies are the greatest showcase for the wide range of creative talent working in comics during that decade. Those, who might have other commitments which would prevent working on a monthly series, still had the opportunity to submit a short story when they had the time. Someone, new to the business, could get experience working on the books.

And once these anthologies were revived, they might be spun off for a network or streaming series.

Adventure Comics: Make it the flagship book for non-GL cosmic stuff. One of the main plots would be Vril Dox assembling a new L.E.G.I.O.N. to persuade the United Planets to hire them as their primary police force. The book would also deal with Rann, Thanagar, the Omega Men etc.
    I'd be totally in favor of these two, especially Adventure Comics featuring the L.E.G.I.O.N., though, ´perhaps, I'd go with Mystery in Space featuring the L.E.G.I.O.N.
    I'd also love to see the Secret Society of Super-Villains return in their own book, though I can't help but wonder who'd take Captain Comet's place as the new resident super-hero of the book (Cap, of course, would be over in the L.E.G.I.O.N. book, in this scenario).
    And put me down as another vote for an All-Star Squadron revival.
    And, for my own contribution, Strange Adventures, featuring the original Steve Ditko's Shade, the Changing Man, one of my all time favorite DC books.

Peace