Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Su_Whisterfield's Avatar

Cool Uncanny Spiderman 4 synopsis and spoilers

Uncanny Spider-Man 4

I think Si is about to set the cat amongst the pigeons, can’t wait for next week.

We start with the pages released in the preview, Kurt and Spidey and the mob about to lynch the pizza delivery boy for delivering to the X-Men’s treehouse.

It’s an entertaining fight, Kurt rescues Peter from the Sentinel’s attention too – foreshadowing them starting to go after general superhumans not just mutants – via Mystique’s rocket launcher. She’s never subtle, is she?

Cut to Silver Sable, watching a recording of all this at the unknown Orchis base. She’s interrupted by The Vulture and his hounds. They discuss her contract and why she won’t give up on it.

Plot point: the gadget which allows short psychic messages is shown. This is Chekov’s Gun no1. Travers, the techie with the man bun shown in issue 2 tried it on Mystique and her fury gave him aneurysm. The only message from this is ‘No hope, only rage’.

Vulture warns Sable that she’s getting too close to her mark, his hounds are starting to smell him on her. Ahem.

Cut to Kurt and Sable sharing dinner atop the Brooklyn Bridge. She is spilling the beans on Orchis. She wants Kurt to talk about what’s going on, what he’s avoiding, he declines and angrily Bamfs away, she grabs him to ‘port with him to the church tower eyrie he’s been hiding in.

They have a fantastic exchange about the trauma Kurt has been going through and the weight that being a mutant places upon him.

She leaves when she gets an alert leaving him alone in his fortress of solitude and meets with Kramer, her second in command. He pulls a gun on her, he’s threatening to tell her whole organisation what’s been going on between her and Kurt, he’s been bugging her. She tells him she’s cancelling the contract.

Kurt is on the hunt for Mystique again, he finds her in Central Park and X-Men Blue Origins happens. Which we have to wait until next week for!

Cut to Kurt’s tower refuge, Sable is sat on a ledge, she takes her helmet off. The Uncanny Spider-Man comes up behind her, he’s ambushed and taken down by her team.

Orchis portal, Silver Sable and her team approach carrying the subdued Kurt. At the Orchis base, Vulture is impressed but he asks the hound by the gate to check that it is Kurt, not his mother. The hound confirms that is the target down to the Y chromosome (this is, I think, Chekov’s Chromosome).

They go through the portal, taking Kurt into Orchis captivity…

There is a lot going on here, it’s a complicated, layered issue and, in my opinion definitely the best writing of Kurt we’ve had for quite a while, I will miss Si writing him, which I never thought I would. I suspect Uncanny Spiderman is his swan-song, though it’s possible we will get something from him about David/Legion in the new year to tie that lose plot thread up?
    Kurt’s soliloquy about the burden of representing his whole race hits on the nose, particularly with what is going on in the world right now.

It helps that he looks beautiful too. Both artist and colourist are bringing their A game

Chekov’s Gun no1, that mind control device is in Sable’s possession, isn’t it?

Chekov’s Chromosome, that’s Mystique in Orchis’s captivity, isn’t it? The line about it being Kurt down to the Y chromosome is just too juicy not to be Mystique proving that her control of her abilities allows her to change everything about herself, including her chromosomes. Which, of course, means that she can impregnate a woman.

And notice that one of Sable’s team going through the gate, Redsergeant, has his helmet on and full body armour, unlike the rest of the team… might he be a red blue herring?

Quote Originally Posted by Su_Whisterfield View Post
    Uncanny Spider-Man 4

I think Si is about to set the cat amongst the pigeons, can’t wait for next week.

We start with the pages released in the preview, Kurt and Spidey and the mob about to lynch the pizza delivery boy for delivering to the X-Men’s treehouse.

It’s an entertaining fight, Kurt rescues Peter from the Sentinel’s attention too – foreshadowing them starting to go after general superhumans not just mutants – via Mystique’s rocket launcher. She’s never subtle, is she?

Cut to Silver Sable, watching a recording of all this at the unknown Orchis base. She’s interrupted by The Vulture and his hounds. They discuss her contract and why she won’t give up on it.

Plot point: the gadget which allows short psychic messages is shown. This is Chekov’s Gun no1. Travers, the techie with the man bun shown in issue 2 tried it on Mystique and her fury gave him aneurysm. The only message from this is ‘No hope, only rage’.

Vulture warns Sable that she’s getting too close to her mark, his hounds are starting to smell him on her. Ahem.

Cut to Kurt and Sable sharing dinner atop the Brooklyn Bridge. She is spilling the beans on Orchis. She wants Kurt to talk about what’s going on, what he’s avoiding, he declines and angrily Bamfs away, she grabs him to ‘port with him to the church tower eyrie he’s been hiding in.

They have a fantastic exchange about the trauma Kurt has been going through and the weight that being a mutant places upon him.

She leaves when she gets an alert leaving him alone in his fortress of solitude and meets with Kramer, her second in command. He pulls a gun on her, he’s threatening to tell her whole organisation what’s been going on between her and Kurt, he’s been bugging her. She tells him she’s cancelling the contract.

Kurt is on the hunt for Mystique again, he finds her in Central Park and X-Men Blue Origins happens. Which we have to wait until next week for!

Cut to Kurt’s tower refuge, Sable is sat on a ledge, she takes her helmet off. The Uncanny Spider-Man comes up behind her, he’s ambushed and taken down by her team.

Orchis portal, Silver Sable and her team approach carrying the subdued Kurt. At the Orchis base, Vulture is impressed but he asks the hound by the gate to check that it is Kurt, not his mother. The hound confirms that is the target down to the Y chromosome (this is, I think, Chekov’s Chromosome).

There is a lot going on here, it’s a complicated, layered issue and, in my opinion definitely the best writing of Kurt we’ve had for quite a while, I will miss Si writing him, which I never thought I would. I suspect Uncanny Spiderman is his swan-song, though it’s possible we will get something from him about David/Legion in the new year to tie that lose plot thread up?
    Kurt’s soliloquy about the burden of representing his whole race hits on the nose, particularly with what is going on in the world right now.

It helps that he looks beautiful too. Both artist and colourist are bringing their A game

Chekov’s Chromosome, that’s Mystique in Orchis’s captivity, isn’t it? The line about it being Kurt down to the Y chromosome is just too juicy not to be Mystique proving that her control of her abilities allows her to change everything about herself, including her chromosomes. Which, of course, means that she can impregnate a woman.

And notice that one of Sable’s team going through the gate, Redsergeant, has his helmet on and full body armour, unlike the rest of the team… might he be a red blue herring?
    I just finished reading this issue and I'm thinking exactly along the lines as you regarding the "Chekov’s Chromosome." As soon as the hound confirmed the Y chromosome my immediate reaction was, "ah ha!" That may be indeed where Si is going with this.

Very fun and emotional issue at the same time.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    I just finished reading this issue and I'm thinking exactly along the lines as you regarding the "Chekov’s Chromosome." As soon as the hound confirmed the Y chromosome my immediate reaction was, "ah ha!" That may be indeed where Si is going with this.

I found Kurt’s speech on carrying the mutant burden so moving, it had to have been written before the current issues in the Middle East but it struck home.

Uncanny Spider-Man 4

I really like your theory, and this issue was another good one for me. Kind of glad the ghost bamf didn’t make an appearance, didn’t even miss the little guy. Some really nice heartfelt moments and nice bit of Kurt showing off his agility and teleporting skills.
    Last edited by Proxy; 11-22-2023 at 12:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post

Wow, Mystique changing her chromosomes would be interesting, and this scene occurs after the events of X-Men Blue, so maybe in there gives them this idea. If Mystique can change her chromosomes I think we might see Azazel make it so an older Destiny can get pregnant, but part of the deal was that the child would have some of his DNA in there as well.

Quote Originally Posted by RAWRlrus View Post
    Wow, Mystique changing her chromosomes would be interesting, and this scene occurs after the events of X-Men Blue, so maybe in there gives them this idea. If Mystique can change her chromosomes I think we might see Azazel make it so an older Destiny can get pregnant, but part of the deal was that the child would have some of his DNA in there as well.
    I’ve always assumed Raven would be capable of that, if a writer wanted her to. There are living creatures on Earth which can change gender, admittedly quite a long way from primates but some fish and reptiles do this routinely.
    If you can suspend disbelief that Scott can fire power beams from his eyes, that Ororo can control the weather, then Raven altering her gender is a walk in the park.

I found Kurt’s speech on carrying the mutant burden so moving, it had to have been written before the current issues in the Middle East but it struck home.
    It was very moving indeed and I'm glad he finally expressed what he's been feeling. Then I felt bad when Sable had him (Raven?) ambushed! Bunch of little heartbreaks in this issue but balanced nicely with the action and team-up with Parker.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

That looks indeed where Si Spurrier is going... I love how Claremont's version of the events might end up becoming canon after all!

And this was another solid issue of the Uncanny Spider-Man. It's not my favourite Fall of X book but it's still miles more entertaining than Way of X and Legion of X.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    And this was another solid issue of the Uncanny Spider-Man. It's not my favourite Fall of X book but it's still miles more entertaining than Way of X and Legion of X.
    My thoughts exactly. I'm enjoying this a lot more than I thought I would considering I wasn't into Spurrier's other Krakoan-era books.

Another big hint/Chekov was the repeated references to Mystique using her powers to hide weapons.

Not only is it Mystique pretending to be Kurt going through the portal, but she's loaded for bear.
    Last edited by PopCulturePooka; 11-23-2023 at 05:52 PM.

Astonishing Member

She's not Chekov's gun, she's Chekov's armory.

Chekhov’s Mum?

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    Chekhov’s Mum?
    And we have a winner, round of applause.

I have to say, when this title was announced I was hesitant. The idea of Kurt heroing under the Spidey umbrella did not pull me. Even though the suit's design is lovely.
    But the balance of tone. The inclusion of FUN and sexiness. Its been such a joy. And Kurt really does look beautiful throughout this mini. I am quaking for the Origin reveal.

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    I have to say, when this title was announced I was hesitant. The idea of Kurt heroing under the Spidey umbrella did not pull me. Even though the suit's design is lovely.
    But the balance of tone. The inclusion of FUN and sexiness. Its been such a joy. And Kurt really does look beautiful throughout this mini. I am quaking for the Origin reveal.
    Yes to all of this, and especially the bolded part! Spurrier’s previous Krakoa stuff could get very “woe is me”, but here Kurt’s emotional scenes are expertly done in a way that doesn’t bog down the story and honestly feel more realistic.