Default Invincible Iron Man 12 Review *spoilers*

The issue starts with Jen arguing that Rhodey should be released from prison as the dead man's phone was used at the man's home after Tony destroyed the factory and while Rhodey was already in custody. This argument is unsuccessful as Jen is shown smashing her rental car.

Next we have Tony attaching trackers to the Iron Sentinels to determine their flight patterns. Apparently this stealth suit is temporary and he's going to miss having it, although I'm not sure what will prevent him from keeping it. Tony goes to the hellfire club to continue working on the mysterium suit and finds Fisk there who wants Tony to work more quickly as he wants Mary back. Tony invited Riri to the club to help him, but she's blocked by Emma in disguise. Tony didn't tell Riri (which makes sense as communications could be picked up) or Emma (I guess he forgot). A psychic fight ensues and Riri says Emma is wanted for murder (is Riri the only hero who's believed Orchis thus far)?

Tony and Kingpin are arguing when a mutant detector at the club goes off and run out to see Emma and Riri in the middle of the fight. A sentinel shows up having detected Emma without the ring and Fisk hits himself in the face with his cane and claims that Mystique tried to assassinate him (is Kurt the only blue mutant who won't be scapegoated?). The fight between Emma and Riri wraps up quickly as they both realize they don't want to fight. The sentinel is shouting about Emma but Tony has jammed it's ability to relay the info to the other sentinels/Orchis (I think, he just says its jammed). Emma and Riri do their version of a fastball special and tony attacks it, but they're struggling to do any damage until Riri uses Pym particles to shrink it before the three of them destroy it.

Fisk gives an interview and still blamed Mystique while Tony gets Riri caught up and they strategize. Tony asks if Riri can build some ships out of Mysterium and they have to hide the mysterium and the ships somewhere in space. Tony also had Riri bring some Pym particles but we don't know what they're for, just that Riri called them cute. The characters from the Duggan books (Invincible Iron Man, X-Men and Uncanny Avengers) celebrate Thanksgiving in the Morlock tunnels and talk about how things have been hard but how they're getting ready to step out of the shadows soon.

The issue ends with Rhodey in prison. A guard gives him a medal from Jen for St. Leonard, patron of prisoners but a St. Anthony medal as it has an Iron Man suit on it.

Overall I thought it was a good issue, although I still don't see it as relevant to Fall of X like most of there books. This may or may not be the last tie in issue. The Fall of X reading list and the cover for #13 indicate that this is the last issue, but a variant cover for #13 has the Fall of X logo. Even if it is the end the solicits that have been released so far still make me believe it will be X adjacent. There were a couple of references to getting ready to fight soon, and with Fall of X wrapping up in December (other than Uncanny Spiderman) I think we'll see some push back by mutants against Orchis before FoTHoX/RoTPoX. I'm not sure how that will go as the Cyclops trial makes me think things haven't gotten better but with the previews from RoTPoX I wonder if it goes well and forces Stasis/Nimrod/Moira/Omega Sentinel to go dominion.

Astonishing Member

The only thing I can think they would need mysterium ships for would be to try and retrieve the Krakoans from the WHR because mysterium is from there so feasibly it can exist there physically in a way that normal ships wouldn't be able to....but that's wild on so many levels b/c a) how would Tony know that's where they are, and b) you'd still need to get the ships there like say, via Manifold transporting them there like he was able to get to the WHR w/a circuit's help in order to create the mysterium, which could be why Irene told Rogue to do what she did, but if Manifold's the key to transporting mutants back from the WHR I don't see why they need ships to do that instead of just his portals.

*Shrugs* I feel like I've got to be missing something but I can't imagine any other use for mysterium SHIPS specifically. Guess we'll see.

Tony having mysterium armor annoys me. It's cultural appropriation.

Quote Originally Posted by RAWRlrus View Post
    they're struggling to do any damage until Riri uses Pym particles to shrink it before the three of them destroy it.
    Don't pym particles make you even stronger when you're small? Or is that just the MCU?

BANNED

Last I checked anyone can travel to the magic metal dimension -- it's not like its source is stored in a secured location and who knows how much is floating around Earth-616. Tony might have armor forged of Mysterium or Low Mysterium now but I fail to see cultural appropriation...
    Last edited by Micabe; 11-22-2023 at 07:37 PM. Reason: Link(s) added.

Astonishing Member

Or jokes apparently.

This was a nice moment.

I also liked Emma and Riri stomping that sentinel.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    This was a nice moment.

I also liked Emma and Riri stomping that sentinel.
    I actually wonder if Kamala celebrates Thanksgiving with her family.

They keep saying how super smart Riri is, but she just got drawn into the most basic hero-on-hero misunderstanding fight trope ever. Teenagers are never actually geniuses.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    They keep saying how super smart Riri is, but she just got drawn into the most basic hero-on-hero misunderstanding fight trope ever. Teenagers are never actually geniuses.
    Teenagers are still teenagers, regardless of raw intelligence, which, contrary to popular assumption, does not equal wisdom. That tends to be something you gain with time and experience, assuming you live (or are allowed to live) long enough. Impulsiveness, recklessness, and thinking you know more than you actually do and that you're invincible are baked into the (proverbial) cake at that age.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Teenagers are still teenagers, regardless of raw intelligence, which, contrary to popular assumption, does not equal wisdom. That tends to be something you gain with time and experience, assuming you live (or are allowed to live) long enough. Impulsiveness, recklessness, and thinking you know more than you actually do and that you're invincible are baked into the (proverbial) cake at that age.
    Moon Girl is the smartest person on Earth but she's also an antisocial brat with low impulse control.

It balances things out I guess.

I mean, Reed is a genius scientist and Tony a great engineer, and yet after decades everyone in 616 is still driving around in basic internal combustion cars. How about some “show don’t tell” with your geniuses Marvel?

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Moon Girl is the smartest person on Earth but she's also an antisocial brat with low impulse control.

It balances things out I guess.
    She's 9-10 years old. A lot of children at that age have little to no impulse control and have yet to internalize proper socialization.

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    I mean, Reed is a genius scientist and Tony a great engineer, and yet after decades everyone in 616 is still driving around in basic internal combustion cars. How about some “show don’t tell” with your geniuses Marvel?
    To be slightly fair to Reed and Tony, they don't share their innovations because they're worried those innovations, especially in Tony's case, would just end up being weaponized to hurt innocent people.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Til View Post
    Don't pym particles make you even stronger when you're small? Or is that just the MCU?
    They do not
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver