Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Superman and Jobbing

So did anyone catch the layers issue of that JL vs Monsterverse universe? And you guessed it it ended with Clark getting beaten or at least seem like he was beaten. It’s this a normal occurrence, tbh I think Godzilla is powerful but Clark should still be able to handle him. Also, this is the common trope of having a new threat beat up the most powerful perfect around. I wonder if the next issue will start with Clark just waking up like it’s nothing.

What did you guys think about the issue ?

Fantastic Member

In JLA stories, Superman is often reduced to just being a way to establish the power level of the villain. I have made peace with it, that's how it will be.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

(Pikachu shocked face) Was he wearing a Bat cowl at the time?
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    So did anyone catch the layers issue of that JL vs Monsterverse universe? And you guessed it it ended with Clark getting beaten or at least seem like he was beaten. It’s this a normal occurrence, tbh I think Godzilla is powerful but Clark should still be able to handle him. Also, this is the common trope of having a new threat beat up the most powerful perfect around. I wonder if the next issue will start with Clark just waking up like it’s nothing.

Im sorry but NO

I hardly even consider Jobbing when the comic itself says the the two were in an even stalemate

Godzilla and Superman got both good hit in and even did the thrope of the two beams colliding
    26.jpg

it not until Shazam came in and screw up the fight where Clark had to literally throw the fight to save him. Godzilla got a W because of outside forces and an actively thrown fight. Don't know why place especially reddit like to cut that crucial part out for click bait reasons

besides healing comma

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Laser_Man View Post
    In JLA stories, Superman is often reduced to just being a way to establish the power level of the villain. I have made peace with it, that's how it will be.
    Indeed, that or as fodder for Batman or to establish the combat competency level of a (usually new) Bat Family member. *sigh*
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

I don't care if superman lost the fight.What i do have problem with is this being a jl book.Fighting giant lizards and monsters is superman M.O. It's one of the things that made him famous.Giving that JL sucks.I have to read about character i have no interest in just so i can see clark throwing it dow wirh the lizard..sheesh!!!
    This fight itself sucked.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 11-23-2023 at 08:18 PM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Quote Originally Posted by Venomized-spider-man View Post
    Im sorry but NO

I hardly even consider Jobbing when the comic itself says the the two were in an even stalemate

Godzilla and Superman got both good hit in and even did the thrope of the two beams colliding
    26.jpg

it not until Shazam came in and screw up the fight where Clark had to literally throw the fight to save him. Godzilla got a W because of outside forces and an actively thrown fight. Don't know why place especially reddit like to cut that crucial part out for click bait reasons

besides healing comma
    You know haters are going to spam the last page of the comic as a way to prove that “Superman sucks lmao” . And we don’t even know if Clark will just simply get up in the next issue a brush it off.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post

I don't think anyone is not jobbing in this. It is simply not a League level problem. This barely rises to an Aquaman level problem. Orin could solo both at the same time. Don't know why it is happening other than "pure fun" on the part of those for whom such wacky mashups presents such.

#SoNotTheTargetAudienceForThis

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    I don't care if superman lost the fight.What i do have problem with is this being a jl book.Fighting giant lizards and monsters is superman M.O. It's one of the things that made him famous.Giving that JL sucks.I have to read about character i have no interest in just so i can see clark throwing it dow wirh the lizard..sheesh!!!
    This fight itself sucked.
    Fighting giant monsters is not exclusive to Superman. I don't even think he was the first superhero to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Fighting giant monsters is not exclusive to Superman. I don't even think he was the first superhero to do it.
    From my knowledge he is.And at the very least he did it on the big screen and popularised it. I don't believe shazam nor wonderwoman who kept up in power creeo doing it. I don't really consider characters before superman or early days of superman to be superheroism..For the record,nothing is exclusive.That's why superman is seen as dull by massive portion in the world.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 11-23-2023 at 11:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    From my knowledge he is.And at the very least he did it on the big screen and popularised it.
    Even if he did, he doesn't have a patent on it.

I don't believe shazam nor wonderwoman who kept up in power creeo doing it. I don't really consider characters before superman or early days of superman to be superheroism..
    Wonder Woman at least has been fighting Giganta since 1944.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Even if he did, he doesn't have a patent on it.

Wonder Woman at least has been fighting Giganta since 1944.
    If superman or any of the early original ideas/characters had patent on things.Most superheroes wouldn't exist or would be radically different.Superman himself would be.

i don't care she can fight ultraman(giant alien superhero) for all i care but it doesn't mean a thing to me.Also, flash gordon had giant alien monsters i believe. they did it different.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 11-24-2023 at 12:22 AM.

Heard about the issue but I'm not reading this yet. I'll wait and see what the final word is when the story wraps and grab the trade if it sounds worthwhile.

And as was said, Clark didn't lose as soundly as some outlets are making it seem. He had to save Billy or something, and tanked a hit to protect the kid. I'm not counting that as a 'proper' loss.

Beyond that, it's Godzilla. Clark "should" be well beyond the limits of Godzilla. The big lizard is a city killer but Superman is a world breaker. But! It's Godzilla man, there aren't many fictional characters in the world who're more well known or popular, so I'm cool with him getting to swing big and keep up with Supes. Let him have it, he usually only gets to fight big apes!

It's true though, that this is/should be more of an "Aquaman" sized problem. Honestly, Aquaman v Godzilla would be a crazy great match-up.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Heard about the issue but I'm not reading this yet. I'll wait and see what the final word is when the story wraps and grab the trade if it sounds worthwhile.

And as was said, Clark didn't lose as soundly as some outlets are making it seem. He had to save Billy or something, and tanked a hit to protect the kid. I'm not counting that as a 'proper' loss.

Beyond that, it's Godzilla. Clark "should" be well beyond the limits of Godzilla. The big lizard is a city killer but Superman is a world breaker. But! It's Godzilla man, there aren't many fictional characters in the world who're more well known or popular, so I'm cool with him getting to swing big and keep up with Supes. Let him have it, he usually only gets to fight big apes!

It's true though, that this is/should be more of an "Aquaman" sized problem. Honestly, Aquaman v Godzilla would be a crazy great match-up.
    Those kinda things are just for powerlevel people.Especially when they reach ridiculuos unthinkable levels such as multiverse buster or what not(eg:-,goku getting shot).A writer or common guy don't usually care it.Just the story and internal consistency.Superman can be world breaker or can literally struggle to kill a fly.

There is even a funny scene parodying it in one punch man

I don't expect Superman to win a fight in a JL or event book, I gave up a long ago.

These days, as long as he is competent and winning on his books I'm fine.