Mighty Member

Default Spidey in 1999 : an appreciation?

Read ASM 503-504 via a Loki TPB. Not a bad story by JMS/JRJR. Features an unlikely team up between Pete and Loki to stop a powerful villainess. They experience the joys of New York hot dogs.

What were some of the highs and lows of this year and PRE ultimate spidey?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyO'Brien View Post
    Read ASM 503-504 via a Loki TPB. Not a bad story by JMS/JRJR. Features an unlikely team up between Pete and Loki to stop a powerful villainess. They experience the joys of New York hot dogs.

What were some of the highs and lows of this year and PRE ultimate spidey?
    That wasn’t 1999. That was like 2003 or 2004. It was also 3 or 4 years after Ultimate began.

The Loki story was okay though. Not my favorite, but decent. I think it had a sort of follow up toward the end of Slott’s run.

I’m not as big a fan of the JMS era as others. Too many mystical villains and animal totem nonsense. But JRJr’s art was beautiful around this time and Peter and MJ’s marriage was written pretty well once they got back together, so that made up for a lot of the flaws.
    Last edited by HypnoHustler; 11-23-2023 at 06:21 PM.

Mighty Member

Thanks. Liked JMS but hated the spider totem crap. Do enjoy the Dezago Weiringo stuff...

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyO'Brien View Post
    Thanks. Liked JMS but hated the spider totem crap. Do enjoy the Dezago Weiringo stuff...
    Me too. One of the most underrated runs out there. You might also like Tellos, their independent fantasy book.

Fantastic Member Crazyspideyfan's Avatar

I just remembered that story had a sort of follow-up in ASM 795