Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I've yet to be convinced they're making their value back with this.
    That's me stating the best case scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    NO NO NO NO That is pure tokenism and will get called out every time as it should be.

See Prodigy at X-Men since coming out as bi-he has been killed twice (including by a man who killed LGBTQA+ but we NEVER saw the story), made a joke by Antman, background duty, and stuck in pride books.
    Only 1 book treated him as something other than a bisexual black male-the Coates run of Black Panther.

Like Prodigy-you have to sell Tim as something other than the bisexual (Male LGBTQA+ hero) in the Bat Family. Because what will most likely happen is he'll be used for some ABC Afterschool Special issue of Batman or DC.

We have all seen them-show that has been POC free or the token POC rarely talk to other POC suddenly have a racism, sexism or homophobia episode or issue.

Muhammad X in Superman anyone???
    Bloodsport always going after Ron Tremble (Lana's husband in the old DC)?
    Batman Seduction of the Gun (made in response to a WB executive's son being killed by a gun)

You can but much like with Duke Thomas (and a LOT of others) your money is going to have to be earned OUTSIDE of the comic book store.

You can't do a comic of adventures of Tim Drake and his boyfriend but you CAN do an OGN of that.

You can get away with a graphic novel.

You can NEVER EVER Count on Tumblr.

They will call you everything in the book and lecture you like nobody's business.

Example-CW's Tom Swift. As MUCH complaining as I saw about the show being axed and how the CW hated black gay males.

Search through Tumblr- 90% of the posts for that show was shirtless pic of Tian Richards (Tom Swift), Tom Swift sexing his boyfriend, pics of Zenzi and WAY too many pics of Tom's outfits and where to buy them.
    I could NOT tell you a thing about that show if I had to go by Tumblr. A show with Levar Burton.

Those folks do not show up to SUPPORT.
    Do you mean Ron Troupe who was married to Lucy Lane? Lana Lang in post Crisis married Pete Ross.

Mighty Member

At this point I just want DC to stop trying so hard to make Tim/Steph look bad....and the fact they try so hard indicates they know how popular it is.

At this point it's best for Steph to get as much distance from Tim. The character is going nowhere. if Steph is to thrive she needs to stand on her own and remind readers why she's a great character not be part of this shitty 3some.

Tim/Steph isn't good for Steph.

Mighty Member

I'd be okay with that if they address it from Steph's perspective instead of just going 'tim/steph was bad for Tim cuz he was closeted' but DC never will do that

Quote Originally Posted by NOCTPHOENIX View Post
    I'd be okay with that if they address it from Steph's perspective instead of just going 'tim/steph was bad for Tim cuz he was closeted' but DC never will do that
    There's nothing to address. They are not together, just tell stories about Stephanie living her life. That's it.

Quote Originally Posted by NOCTPHOENIX View Post
    They can't. They can't show Steph being upset that her boyfriend left her for a dude.

Mighty Member

That's really dumb. That's like saying she couldn't have complicated feelings about his engagement to Tam Fox cuz she was black

I mean, from Steph's perspective Tim was a total dick to her. The only reason she can't react normally to it is because, again, optics, but it was still pretty terrible.

Though now she and Cass are basically just the queens of guest spots depending on who wants to use them.

Mighty Member

Cass is doing good with BOP. But Steph yeah.

Also the optics argument falls into an easy slippery slope. Like again it's like saying she was racist for having complicated feelings about him being engaged to Tam
    Last edited by NOCTPHOENIX; 12-07-2023 at 09:09 AM.

Extraordinary Member

The way DC handled the breakup was very misogynistic and made Tim to be a complete a-hole and Steph a complete doormat.

Ultimately, the main reason I want them back together is that the only value Tim has left as a character is as Stephanie's love interest. Without her he's just a redundant and less interesting mini-Bruce with no personality of his own or place in the Batman universe at this point. Steph has so much more going for her as a character that she really doesn't need him close to the same way. Tim was my Robin growing up and used to be my second favorite DC character after Batman himself, but the current Tim's existence is pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    The way DC handled the breakup was very misogynistic and made Tim to be a complete a-hole and Steph a complete doormat.

Ultimately, the main reason I want them back together is that the only value Tim has left as a character is as Stephanie's love interest. Without her he's just a redundant and less interesting mini-Bruce with no personality of his own or place in the Batman universe at this point. Steph has so much more going for her as a character that she really doesn't need him close to the same way. Tim was my Robin growing up and used to be my second favorite DC character after Batman himself, but the current Tim's existence is pointless.
    Yeesh!

I agree with you on Steph having more going for her than tim which is why I don't get why rather than threads asking what we want for her future we instead get something like this. About her love life. Steph needs to be a home ie. a steady series before a love interest.

Steph is the superfluous Batgirl right now. Steph and Tim as a couple isn't enough for DC to get them back together.

Extraordinary Member

There isn't a need for a thread about Steph's place in the bat-family or direction because that place is clear. She's the 'normal one,' taking Tim's niche from when he was a good character, and she's the one nobody wanted or believed in. Those 2 aspects when combined with her plucky nature, determination, and hopeful outlook give her a great dynamic with most other characters in the bat-family. Unlike Tim, the issue isn't how to write her or what to do with her, but whether the writers and editors bother to give her the attention and respect she deserves. She could be put into any book and make it better, and it's criminal how no one at DC or Warner Brothers realizes how compelling the concept of the failed sidekick who Batman rejected is.

With Tim, there's such a vacuum of character and potential that people feel the need to throw out wacky ideas in the hope something will stick and give him something going forward. With Steph, all that has to happen is for a decent writer to start writing.
    Last edited by sunofdarkchild; 12-07-2023 at 10:41 AM.

Incredible Member

After you get a brick to a face on a first date. You always come back for more.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    There isn't a need for a thread about Steph's place in the bat-family or direction because that place is clear. She's the 'normal one,' taking Tim's niche from when he was a good character, and she's the one nobody wanted or believed in. Those 2 aspects when combined with her plucky nature, determination, and hopeful outlook give her a great dynamic with most other characters in the bat-family. Unlike Tim, the issue isn't how to write her or what to do with her, but whether the writers and editors bother to give her the attention and respect she deserves. She could be put into any book and make it better, and it's criminal how no one at DC or Warner Brothers realizes how compelling the concept of the failed sidekick who Batman rejected is.

With Tim, there's such a vacuum of character and potential that people feel the need to throw out wacky ideas in the hope something will stick and give him something going forward. With Steph, all that has to happen is for a decent writer to start writing.
    So, you think she went from being just Tim's girlfriend to taking his place in the franchise? That would be pretty funny, if so.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)