Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Incredible Member Captain Britain of Earth 20's Avatar

Default Bette Kane appreciation 2023 version

I always thought if Bette Kane aka Flamebird, Bat-girl and Hawkfire got her own series or joined the Birds of Prey she would shine like Jessica Drew from Marvel (Spiderwoman) just think she needs a writer like Gail Simone Bette could a better perception than the celebrity/wannabe superhero.
    Be yourself everyone is taken !! I'm an X-Man trapped in the DC omniverse

Flamebird.jpg

Mock cover I did for CBR Line it is Drawn

Astonishing Member

Beautiful cover. I really like the way the costume is portrayed here. Reminds me of Jimmy Olsen's classic Flamebird uniform. I wasn't crazy about Bette as Hawkfire, and it didn't really take off. Let's just bring her back as Flamebird -- but retain the training she had in Batwoman -- so she's more formidable than before.

There is a lot that could be done with Flamebird.

So it is sad they don't want to. I believe that the name tends to over emphasize a relationship with Dick/Nightwing and they're really against that. Which is sad, but also stupid.

Most fans, I believe, like soap opera conventions in the relationships of heroes so it would be fun to see a comic that focuses on

Nightwing working with various persons and finding a sense of mixed loyalties or whatever, coming up.

I don't want to see Bette as the fan-obsessed stalker but since they've gone and cemented the whole 'cousin' to Bruce thing

why can't they work from that.
    It's just rather shabby to treat the original Bat-girl this way.

As I said, there are so many things they could do with her. I won't even mention my own theories or ideas.

I'm sorry that Batwoman/character hasn't really thought much of Bette in years at all, but it is par for the way Bette entered her storyline back in Elegy and Cutter.

Having said that, maybe there is a story around that even.
    Bette was around 12 when she first snooped on the older Batwoman and wormed her way into being an accomplice.
    Kate would have been around the age of entering the army (I think about 6 years is their age difference, seems to work)

and already through her mother and sister's deaths/trauma.
    Just factors to consider.
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

The Pine Barrens NJ in Summer & Winter & Salem Mass. in Spring & Autumn

Personally, love to see Bette Kane as an operative for International Operations trained by John Lynch & Henry Bendix
    Beware of spies traveling through your multiverse especially if they wear a 4

Astonishing Member

I really liked when Bette was studying sports medicine. Vigilantes need sports medicine with how athletic they must be.

Instead, Bette's been stuck at West Point for years now.

P.S.

Maybe she should develop powers? Perhaps this would increase interest in her character...maybe.
    Last edited by scary harpy; 11-28-2023 at 04:08 PM.

The Pine Barrens NJ in Summer & Winter & Salem Mass. in Spring & Autumn

Wow I really can't believe there's not that much 4 the former Bat-girl, former Flamebird former Hawkfire(WTH) it's a shame.
    Beware of spies traveling through your multiverse especially if they wear a 4

Extraordinary Member

The recent Beats World Gotham special indirectly acknowledged Bette as the first Batgirl.

She appeared as Flamebird again last spring in the Legion of Bloom one-shot. She even kept talking about bringing back Titans West while the others kept shooting that idea down. Anyway, I would love for her to show up in the current Birds of Prey.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by red winter View Post
    Personally, love to see Bette Kane as an operative for International Operations trained by John Lynch & Henry Bendix
    I actually had an idea similar to this back when Grayson was running as a book. Wrote up a full premise. A.K.A. Flamebird. Bette took a role with ARGUS and became something between Laura Croft and James Bond with a dash of Pink Panther.
    William Messner Loebs Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-writ...ource=customer

Peter David Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/peter-david-fund

Len Kaminski Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-save-len-kaminski

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    I actually had an idea similar to this back when Grayson was running as a book. Wrote up a full premise. A.K.A. Flamebird. Bette took a role with ARGUS and became something between Laura Croft and James Bond with a dash of Pink Panther.
    Why not? Whether Betty or Bette there is always a sense of determination with her too.
    ~ Oberon ~
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

Incredible Member Captain Britain of Earth 20's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hotroddii View Post
    Flamebird.jpg

Mock cover I did for CBR Line it is Drawn
    She doesn't need a cape though IMHO, plus love to see her work for S.H.A.D.E. or with the Syndicate from Grayson (organization needs it's own series) to stop Amanda Waller
    Be yourself everyone is taken !! I'm an X-Man trapped in the DC omniverse

HAWKFIRE was a rough "evolution" for Bette as a character...

Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    HAWKFIRE was a rough "evolution" for Bette as a character...

It was her “Drake” phase. Her Rid Grayson phase. Her Black Bat phase. Her Red Robin phase.

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    Maybe she should develop powers? Perhaps this would increase interest in her character...maybe.
    Okay, this: After the Silver Age "Prisoners of 3 Worlds" Bette was not recovering from the hallucinogenic gases the aliens used on the Batfamily. Batman consulted with Superman who had them all meet him at the Fortress of Solitude.
    They ended up going to Kandor, since there was an expert about this alien race/elements who could help.
    An injection or treatment was given, which seemed to purge the remaining toxic gases from her system.
    Bette was the youngest of the four, so maybe more of an impact?
    Superman told Robin and "Bat-girl" the story of Nightwing and Flamebird, while in Kandor.
    Before they left, Batman or Batwoman suggested Superman use Super-Hypnotism to make Bette forget - - almost everything.

But years later (the Teen Titans stories) it had come back to her and so she returned.
    Powers: something suble some enhancements of her natural abilities and maybe a small version of phoenix abilities; the coming back from near deaths that eventually happend.
    We could go garish and say an affinity to flame, heck, why not?
    ~ Oberon ~