Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    Well, a bit harsh, but in essence true. Bette, since she began reappearing in the older Batwoman series and her first volume

seemed to genuinely love her cousin and wanted to be friends with her.

and of course everything that happened with Cutter, then BW's first volume, one would almost think that Bette would reconsider her appreciation to a cousin who seems to not ever notice her - or sends her away so she won't have to be notice. Yeah, that is harsh too.

Flamebird should just come back and be, somewhere, anywhere.
    Well she was used as Flamebird again recently wanting to bring back the Titans West team last year in the Legion of Bloom one-shot.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by M@Bowers2014 View Post
    Well she was used as Flamebird again recently wanting to bring back the Titans West team last year in the Legion of Bloom one-shot.
    That’s pretty much how she was characterized circa 1999.
    Last edited by Will Evans; 03-23-2024 at 05:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    That’s pretty much how she was characterized was circa 1999.
    I'm not sure where, but I made the comment that the Titans West story with FB seemed like an inventory story; that was never printed/used back when it was done.

Years have gone by in FB's story, since that cheap tale was thrown at us.
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

Extraordinary Member

I'm not sure where, but I made the comment that the Titans West story with FB seemed like an inventory story; that was never printed/used back when it was done.

Years have gone by in FB's story, since that cheap tale was thrown at us.
    Well it had to have been written after Hank was resurrected in Brightest Day.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Well it had to have been written after Hank was resurrected in Brightest Day.
    It didn't seem like the Flamebird I'd seen since she tried to be Kate's partner.
    ~ Oberon ~
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

It didn't seem like the Flamebird I'd seen since she tried to be Kate's partner.
    Well it's because she was written more like she has been since before the Batwoman series use of her. I don't think it was an inventory story. It felt very modern to me in the writing and the artwork.

How would you like to see Bette re-integrated into the DC universe, since we all hope it will happen.

1) She ends up in a title with Batwoman, preferably a new volume of BW.
    follow up ?s after an explanation of where she has been, the story more
    or less resumes with Jacob and others from the first volume

2) Bette ends up somewhere else, Like a group book; Titans or a JLA type, either once again as Flamebird and her capabilities
    or enhanced (like HawkFlame) but in different ways.

3) Ends up at last in a more Batfamily situation and book

Expand on any of these if you wish or give other ideas?
    ~ Oberon ~

Astonishing Member

Either in a Batwoman title or a second Titans title. Deep six Hawkfire -- it's a silly name. I guess same can be said of Flamebird, but it least it is historically significant for DC.

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    Either in a Batwoman title or a second Titans title. Deep six Hawkfire -- it's a silly name. I guess same can be said of Flamebird, but it least it is historically significant for DC.
    No longer an expert in DC and not following very many over the last 30 years or more, I think there is a character called

FireHawk, from the FireStorm series? So I feel that is a bad choice

but I threw it out there because I know a couple of folks imprinted it, as their first experience of Bette and I get it, means something.

Flamebird has so much history in DC it seems a shame to not go there.

Those would be my choices, btw, back with her cousin, maybe a new compelling mystery?

Bette is visiting Jacob and "Aunt Cathy" and accidentally overhears Jacob sleep talking - about being adopted.
    The mystery is Jacob and his brother, Bette's father are really not Martha Wayne's brothers.
    They're her adopted brothers. But, they're still related.
    Turns out that Martha's father and Jacob/Phillip? 's father are brothers.
    so Martha is really a cousin to Jacob, even if her father adopted the brothers (perhaps he died, or a mystery angle)

And that means Bruce Wayne and Kate/Bette Kane, are really 2nd cousins.
    Which many of us might like better.
    ~ Oberon ~

(I suppose with the low traffic here, the 2023 thread can keep rolling into 2024...)

Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

Is it possible to edit the thread title to say 2024, or find the one who started it and ask them too.

?
    I like my ideas about Kate and Bette being a little more distant to Bruce. It could add to why we don't see much backstory or canon with them and Bruce.

There was that one Batwoman annual (think) and it just didn't seem to feel right - a flashback story with Alfred and a party at Wayne Manor.

Another weird fiction I have is that Bette and Kate don't realize that they're cousins

but also half-sisters.

Explanation: Some fan/theory indicates that the never seen father of Bette is possibly Jacob's twin

Twins can run in families, as Kate is one herself.

So my idea says (this has some probability working for it too)

That Bette's father (I like to call him Phillip)

is / was gay.
    He got married because the family thing, the riches, etc.

But he didn't or couldn't consummate his marriage. Maybe he got Jacob drunk and convinced him to fool his wife (twins again)

and Jacob begat Bette.
    Jacob knows or is in denial

But the way he grieved after Bette was savaged by the Hook, and no one else ever showed up to see Bette (her folks)

That moment was when I realized this could be.
    ** Again this could be part of a new mystery/arc that would bring Kate and Bette back together in a book.
    Their father was really a cousin to Bruce's mother - really 2nd cousins to Bruce
    and they're really half-sisters.
    ~ Oberon ~

The Pine Barrens NJ in Summer & Winter & Salem Mass. in Spring & Autumn

No mrore Hawkfire please the name not 2 my liking!
    Beware of spies traveling through your multiverse especially if they wear a 4