Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Default What has happened to Black Friday .....Fights ?

Happy Holidays and be having a future Merry Christmas folks out there as Santa Claus and the folks at Best Buy be swinging by to deliver the best bargains on a Black Friday !

I was browsing those Black Friday sales at GameStop , Wal-Mart , Target , Best Buy and locally. But I noticed something....none were insane FIGHT inducing deals. The type of deals you wake up at 5 am and sit in front of your local mall and be ready to pummel your fellow man over a deal.

Whats going on here ? Retailers....don't you understand we demand a SACRIFICE every Black Friday. Our morals and integrity as humans aren't high as long as we get that big screen TV. Even if it means committing assault with shopping bags to get it.

Look at this back in 1980s....watch how these people nearly have a fight over Cabbage Patch Dolls.

See , this was how it was. You were told this was a MUST BUY item and you hit stores like a mad person hopped up on cocaine , ready to weld a baseball bat and fight others.

This is how we were then. 30 years ago we were seeing retailers give us the INSANE deals and for years it was battle. Black Friday was that EPIC WAR we all would wage after eating the bird on Thanksgiving.

Now we have lost that. Retailers didn't give epic fight or riot inducing deals. Instead they wanted everyone to be calm , cool and not shop as much.

Talk about a wimpy era. Give me the BLOODSPORT of the old days at BLACK FRIDAY.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Astonishing Member

In the era of "combative" Black Friday sales, stores would open early (often 5:00 AM) on Friday for a mad rush of shoppers vying to get the special bargains that were offered only on that day (and sometimes also on Saturday). Now, however, it has become commonplace for retailers to start their Black Friday sales on the weekend before Thanksgiving and to continue to offer those discounts for a whole week. This expansion of Black Friday to a whole week greatly reduces the urgency of shopping on the day after Thanksgiving, so there is less reason for the competitiveness and hostility among shoppers in that single day.

Astonishing Member

Yeah the "sales" take place for a week or so now. And every online marketplace matches all the deals anyway. Want a smart camera or tv? The price will be matched anywhere you are able to order it now. Why go wake up early ready for battle stand in line and fight and elbow when you can order from the comfort of your home?

Then they even do those "Last chance" sales after Black Friday and Cyber Monday etc.

Working in retail, I can also tell you that one of the reasons it's just not fight level anymore is that people can get all of those sales online and pick them up. The mad in-store rush is still there but nowhere like it used to be.
    Power with Girl is better.

Is there a reason to regret fights over goods? Facing retailers, it’s better to keep our heads calm and collected and resist calls to stupid consumption.

No fatal nostalgy… It’s not longer XXᵉ century.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    Is there a reason to regret fights over goods? Facing retailers, it’s better to keep our heads calm and collected and resist calls to stupid consumption.

No fatal nostalgy… It’s not longer XXᵉ century.
    I respectfully differ: people aren't any more civilized or rational, nor any less likely to resort to violence over stupid reasons. It's just that (as several of the others have pointed out) omnichannel shopping and longer running promotions have removed a flashpoint from the equation.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    I respectfully differ: people aren't any more civilized or rational, nor any less likely to resort to violence over stupid reasons. It's just that (as several of the others have pointed out) omnichannel shopping and longer running promotions have removed a flashpoint from the equation.
    Yes! Remember 2020- 2021 when there were fights and at least one shooting over Baseball cards.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Happy Holidays and be having a future Merry Christmas folks out there as Santa Claus and the folks at Best Buy be swinging by to deliver the best bargains on a Black Friday !

I was browsing those Black Friday sales at GameStop , Wal-Mart , Target , Best Buy and locally. But I noticed something....none were insane FIGHT inducing deals. The type of deals you wake up at 5 am and sit in front of your local mall and be ready to pummel your fellow man over a deal.

Whats going on here ? Retailers....don't you understand we demand a SACRIFICE every Black Friday. Our morals and integrity as humans aren't high as long as we get that big screen TV. Even if it means committing assault with shopping bags to get it.

Look at this back in 1980s....watch how these people nearly have a fight over Cabbage Patch Dolls.

See , this was how it was. You were told this was a MUST BUY item and you hit stores like a mad person hopped up on cocaine , ready to weld a baseball bat and fight others.

This is how we were then. 30 years ago we were seeing retailers give us the INSANE deals and for years it was battle. Black Friday was that EPIC WAR we all would wage after eating the bird on Thanksgiving.

Now we have lost that. Retailers didn't give epic fight or riot inducing deals. Instead they wanted everyone to be calm , cool and not shop as much.

Talk about a wimpy era. Give me the BLOODSPORT of the old days at BLACK FRIDAY.
    Ah, the good old days, LOL! I kid, I kid....

1) There is a different clip I remember of the "Cabbage Calamity" as I call it, where a woman's child had the doll pulled out of her hands by another woman. The mother just kept saying, "For a woman to do that to a little girl...she pulled the doll right out of her hands."

2) And at least the people in your video clip only waited 2 hours for the stores to open....remember a number of years ago when people would line up outside of stores the Monday of Thanksgiving week? They would wait there and miss Thanksgiving Thursday so that they could get into stores either later Thanksgiving night or on Black Friday?? Just unreal!! Some of those folks were waiting for new I-Phones. New I-Phones are still coming out now, I wonder if any of those people regret waiting 4-5 days in the past for one?

3) The worst story I know of, and I remember it every year, is from 1993. Two sisters went into a "Big=Box=Store" to get VCRs that were on sale for $199. They ideally wanted 3 of them, 1 for each of them and 1 for their parents. I believe one sister was about 30 years old and the other about 37.

They arrived to the store in the dark and waited for a number of hours for it to open. There were so many people that stormed the store as they opened the doors, that trampling happened to a few right at that moment. After getting only a few of her wanted items, one sister looked for the sister who had gone after the VCRs, but could not find her. Then, she saw a crowd. It was her sister at the VCR area. She had been trampled, was unconscious on the floor, with footprints all over her including her chest and face! Onlookers said that she originally had a VCR in her unconscious fingers, but that was soon taken. When she awakened, her sister told her she needed to go to the hospital and that they would try again next year!
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    3) The worst story I know of, and I remember it every year, is from 1993. Two sisters went into a "Big=Box=Store" to get VCRs that were on sale for $199. They ideally wanted 3 of them, 1 for each of them and 1 for their parents. I believe one sister was about 30 years old and the other about 37.

They arrived to the store in the dark and waited for a number of hours for it to open. There were so many people that stormed the store as they opened the doors, that trampling happened to a few right at that moment. After getting only a few of her wanted items, one sister looked for the sister who had gone after the VCRs, but could not find her. Then, she saw a crowd. It was her sister at the VCR area. She had been trampled, was unconscious on the floor, with footprints all over her including her chest and face! Onlookers said that she originally had a VCR in her unconscious fingers, but that was soon taken. When she awakened, her sister told her she needed to go to the hospital and that they would try again next year!

See folks....this is dedication to retail. This lady got trampled , went to hospital and was for sure gonna come back next year to trample someone herself !
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Yea I miss the days of an 86 year old woman just trying to find a good deal on a Christmas Present for her grandchildren getting Knocked the Hell out by a teenager over a Beenie Baby
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    I don’t say that nowadays people are better persons that before… Just why give them the opportunity to express their most unsavoury instincts? I remember the disgusted and frightened look of a salesgirl when her store closed and they made huge discounts…
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe