Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Anti-Geek View Post
    I didn't hear too many good things about both runs of her Secret Six. I heard that she tried way too hard to be edgy and bawdy. But I'm curious due to the characters alone. But I'm a little nervous since she has only written one good thing imo.
    That's interesting, in my experience it's one of the most well loved series DC has done. It didn't sell hugely but it has a very devoted and passionate base. I have heard very few negative things about it. I wonder why our experiences have been so different?

If you don't care for Simone I'd probably say skip it... It's her at her most Simone-y, imo. Which I love but it's not for everybody. If you're a Bane fan I'd say definitely check it out though, she gives him more characterization and depth than he has had anywhere else besides "Vengeance of Bane".

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel22 View Post
    That's interesting, in my experience it's one of the most well loved series DC has done. It didn't sell hugely but it has a very devoted and passionate base. I have heard very few negative things about it. I wonder why our experiences have been so different?

If you don't care for Simone I'd probably say skip it... It's her at her most Simone-y, imo. Which I love but it's not for everybody. If you're a Bane fan I'd say definitely check it out though, she gives him more characterization and depth than he has had anywhere else besides "Vengeance of Bane".
    That's easy.

Somebody(not you) clearly got some bad information, and seemingly didn't think to second guess it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Anti-Geek View Post
    I didn't hear too many good things about both runs of her Secret Six. I heard that she tried way too hard to be edgy and bawdy. But I'm curious due to the characters alone. But I'm a little nervous since she has only written one good thing imo.
    Simone's Secret Six is one of the greats I think.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    Simone's Secret Six is one of the greats I think.
    The few issues I read of it just before the change to the New 52 were just "eh" as far as I was concerned. Then again, I've never really been overly-fond of what I've read of Simone's writing (though her Red Sonja stuff wasn't bad).
    But there's a lot of her earlier writing I've never read (and don't feel a burning desire to go seek it out).

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    The few issues I read of it just before the change to the New 52 were just "eh" as far as I was concerned. Then again, I've never really been overly-fond of what I've read of Simone's writing (though her Red Sonja stuff wasn't bad).
    But there's a lot of her earlier writing I've never read (and don't feel a burning desire to go seek it out).
    I think it's one of those books where the more you read of it, your enjoyment increases exponentially. I never recommend someone jumping on anywhere except the beginning. It's not like Batman or Wonder Woman where there are dozens of volumes that are just as enjoyable as others. Most people don't have any sort of ingrained love or appreciation for the Secret Six characters, and most of them aren't immediately (or even eventually, in some cases) likable, so coming in cold is tough. She really builds these guys up from rough outlines into full characters over the course of the run. It's definitely a long game she's playing.

Did you start at the beginning? If not I think it's worth giving it another shot. Unless you just weren't into the whole thing entirely... I'm always all for people not reading things they don't enjoy. But I'm guessing there must be some interest remaining, just based off of you posting on the appreciation thread.. I might be reading too much into that, if so, my mistake.

. . . Did you start at the beginning? If not I think it's worth giving it another shot. Unless you just weren't into the whole thing entirely... I'm always all for people not reading things they don't enjoy. But I'm guessing there must be some interest remaining, just based off of you posting on the appreciation thread.. I might be reading too much into that, if so, my mistake.
    I started around issue #34 because that was the first issue I saw at Barnes & Noble when I was just getting back into comic books. I had taken about a +/-15 year break from comic books and at that time wasn't back to driving myself, so I wasn't going to a comic book shop yet.
    And, as mentioned before, what I did read didn't impress me enough to later go back and search out previous issues. (Why spend the money if I wasn't that thrilled with what I already read?)

Simone's Secret Six is one of those series that is best when binged.

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    Simone's Secret Six is one of those series that is best when binged.
    My wallet may not think so . . .

My wallet may not think so . . .
    Totally worth it in my opinion.

Mighty Member

I started around issue #34 because that was the first issue I saw at Barnes & Noble when I was just getting back into comic books. I had taken about a +/-15 year break from comic books and at that time wasn't back to driving myself, so I wasn't going to a comic book shop yet.
    And, as mentioned before, what I did read didn't impress me enough to later go back and search out previous issues. (Why spend the money if I wasn't that thrilled with what I already read?)
    I hear you, and can understand that. Read what you like might as well be my mantra on here. I probably wouldn't have liked it nearly as much myself if I hadn't started at the beginning. It's kind of like Breaking Bad or the Sopranos in that one or two episodes taken at random don't come close to telling the whole story and conveying the layers and long term work unfolding. Maybe one day you'll give it a shot. And if not that's cool too, at least you gave it a chance.

. . . It's kind of like Breaking Bad or the Sopranos in that one or two episodes taken at random don't come close to telling the whole story and conveying the layers and long term work unfolding . . .
    I've never really watched either of those TV shows. Never really felt the desire to do so.

I did use to sometimes eat at Holsten’s in Bloomfield, New Jersey.
    (If you watched The Sopranos, I'm assuming you're familiar with that place?)

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

It's some of the best stuff DC has produced in YEARS.
    Villians United mini
    Secret Six mini
    then the Secret Six ongoing.
    Read them together and it is an absolute BLAST!!
    IMO, Simone gave us the best interpretation of Mad Hatter ever and made Catman and Bane actual fully formed characters.
    Then there's her take on Deadshot, Scandal and Knockout.

I'm surprised there are people who tried it and didn't enjoy it.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    It's some of the best stuff DC has produced in YEARS.
    Villians United mini
    Secret Six mini
    then the Secret Six ongoing.
    Read them together and it is an absolute BLAST!!
    IMO, Simone gave us the best interpretation of Mad Hatter ever and made Catman and Bane actual fully formed characters.
    Then there's her take on Deadshot, Scandal and Knockout.

I'm surprised there are people who tried it and didn't enjoy it.
    Mad Hatter's design and characterization is probably my favorite during this. Also don't forget Banshee, she's fantastic as well.

I really wish we had a Secret Six relaunch, this time as a mature readers book so Simone could go really crazy.
    My team would be Catman, Scandal, Ragdoll, Porcelain, Jeanette and a new addition for that sixth spot..
    Black Alice would be the wildcard seventh member. They could even call the book Secret Seven lol.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

While I certainly would not say no to a new Secret Six series, I would live for Gail to do a Catman run.