Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    While I certainly would not say no to a new Secret Six series, I would live for Gail to do a Catman run.
    Hell yes!
    Catman was pretty much a joke fifth rate Batman villian before Gail got a hold of him.
    His appearance in Kevin Smith's GA was the low point.
    She also made Deadshot a character who I now adore.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    Hell yes!
    Catman was pretty much a joke fifth rate Batman villian before Gail got a hold of him.
    His appearance in Kevin Smith's GA was the low point.
    While her work isn't always for me, it's hard to deny some of the seriously solid character work she did over her time on this property.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    That's easy.

Somebody(not you) clearly got some bad information, and seemingly didn't think to second guess it.
    Ah, but to be fair. When it comes to people i trust. I do tend to side with them. I'll definitely check it out in the future. I always thought there needed to be more villain titles.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I've never really watched either of those TV shows. Never really felt the desire to do so.

I did use to sometimes eat at Holsten’s in Bloomfield, New Jersey.
    (If you watched The Sopranos, I'm assuming you're familiar with that place?)
    I am familiar, actually I had a girlfriend who lived around the corner from there. It's actually a pretty nice part of Jersey.
    You see what I'm getting at though, in that the Six is a long game, character driven mega arc... Not that there isn't tons of plotting and action going on too... It's not like Star trek, where each episode can be enjoyed individually. I'm not trying to belabor the point, it's just that this book is one that I totally love and always go to bat for. Do you have a book like that? I'm always down to try something new!

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    Did you read much of John Ostrander's Suicide Squad run when he really started to develop Floyd more?

Mighty Member

I met J. Calafiore at Baltimore Comic Con this weekend. He couldn't have been nicer! He's the artist I think of when I think Secret Six. He said he loved working on that book and he still gets tons of requests for commissions for characters from the Six. He also talked about being on "Countdown" and eagerly jumping ship for "Gotham Underground" because he could see Countdown being a train wreck. He had a bunch of amazing original artwork for sale. I haven't broken the seal of buying original work yet but when I do some of his will be towards the front of the line.

Simone's Vol. 1 of Secret Six is easily one of my favorite runs on a title of all time. Her work on Catman alone, stemming out of Villains United, was such a joy to behold as well as the dynamics between old and new characters as the title progressed. Whether it was Eaglesham or Calafiore drawing it, or others, it was a book I actually highly anticipated each month and couldn't wait to get.

I'd love to see Simone revisit the characters one day and do a Secret Six, Suicide Squad, and Birds of Prey crossover event. Her work on all those teams and characters during her runs on Secret Six and Birds of Prey were fun and fulfilling and exciting and dire and funny with just the right touch of sass, sardonicness, and wrongness when and where needed.
    Last edited by WonderScott; 10-01-2018 at 07:09 PM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    Simone's Vol. 1 of Secret Six is easily one of my favorite runs on a title of all time. Her work on Catman alone, stemming out of Villains United was such a joy to behold as well as the dynamics between old and new characters as the title progressed. Whether it was Eaglesham or Calafiore drawing it, or others, it was a book I actually highly anticipated each month and couldn't wait to get.

I'd love to see Simone revisit the characters one day and do a Secret Six, Suicide Squad, and Birds of Prey crossover event. Her work on all those teams and characters during her runs on Secret Six and Birds of Prey were fun and fulfilling and exciting and dire and funny with just the right touch of sass, sardonicness, and wrongness when and where needed.
    Amen to all of that! I would love a return to the Six, obviously, but a return to Birds of Prey is almost as welcome. I haven't cared for any of the incarnations since her. The New 52 one was ok but didn't really feel like a Birds book, it felt more like a generic hero/spy team. The plots were ok but I don't think the characters sang nearly as well as they did under Simone. The newer Rebirth run went for a totally different tone and wasn't aimed at me. I enjoyed parts of it regardless, especially how they felt very connected to each other and like a family at points. It filled an important niche and while I didn't love it I'm glad it happened. But now that it's over... Simone, come on down!

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel22 View Post
    Amen to all of that! I would love a return to the Six, obviously, but a return to Birds of Prey is almost as welcome. I haven't cared for any of the incarnations since her. The New 52 one was ok but didn't really feel like a Birds book, it felt more like a generic hero/spy team. The plots were ok but I don't think the characters sang nearly as well as they did under Simone. The newer Rebirth run went for a totally different tone and wasn't aimed at me. I enjoyed parts of it regardless, especially how they felt very connected to each other and like a family at points. It filled an important niche and while I didn't love it I'm glad it happened. But now that it's over... Simone, come on down!
    Completely agree about DCnU BoP.

I liked her DCnU Secret Six, especially the character of Porcelain, but not like how I loved Vol. 1.

If Secret Six comes back, I'd go for Secret Seven and add Porcelain to the original team Simone introduced.

Astonishing Member

I'm curious who everyone's favorite six members of the Secret Six are.

I've loved many. Hell I even love the New 52ized version.

For me I think Catman, Scandal, Bane and Strix top things but it's almost impossible to figure a last two.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Did you read much of John Ostrander's Suicide Squad run when he really started to develop Floyd more?
    I did, and because of Ostrander's work, I was already very fond of the character (and is also the reason I can't STAND the current pale comparison Suicide Squad).
    But IMO, Gail added more to Floyd.
    And while I remember, Gage's mini series was also bloody great!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    I'm curious who everyone's favorite six members of the Secret Six are.

I've loved many. Hell I even love the New 52ized version.

For me I think Catman, Scandal, Bane and Strix top things but it's almost impossible to figure a last two.
    Man that's a tough one. It's almost as much about the relationships as much as the individual characters. There's Bane's weird/sweet/creepy/endearing faux-father relationship with Scandal. Ragdoll and Parademon's love for each other, their only somewhat "human" relationship either has ever had. Of course Catman and Deadshot's bromance/rivalry. Jeanette's bemusement with them all. I could go on.

But to answer the question, I'll go with Catman, Deadshot, Ragdoll and Bane for sure. The other two could be any of them, and I'll probably change my mind in a minute, but I'll go with Scandal and Porcelain. But that leaves out Jeanette.. Can I go top ten?

Nobody seems to be talking about it, but the Six made an appearance in the latest issue of Plastic Man! (Written by Gail Simone)
    It's a not a HUGE bit, but at least they showed up!!

'Secret Six' TV Series in Development at CBS - https://comicbook.com/dc/2018/10/10/...dc-comics-cbs/

I'm halfway through my re-read through of Secret Six and this happens.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    'Secret Six' TV Series in Development at CBS - https://comicbook.com/dc/2018/10/10/...dc-comics-cbs/

I'm halfway through my re-read through of Secret Six and this happens.
    Can't say I saw this coming .

Given the creators involved I'm guessing this will be a dark comedy with an edge (in other words, Secret Six).

I'm curious who they could use in this. Would Deadshot be under an embargo? I guess depending on how much of the wider-DCU they're allowed to use they could probably get away with Scandal.

Ragman's supposed to be on The Flash this season although that probably won't stop him from appearing in this.