Default Preacher, Lucifer, Books of Magic & Hellblazer

Was considering picking up all 4 of these in omnibus format. Are they all worth the read? Or are some better than than others? Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by REVOLUTION View Post
    Was considering picking up all 4 of these in omnibus format. Are they all worth the read? Or are some better than than others? Thanks in advance!
    PREACHER is unequivocally amazing. An amazing piece of American Gothic Western Horror literature (if such a genre exists).
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

They're classics and for a good reason.

I love Preacher and Lucifer, but I’ve never actually read Books of Magic.

It’s been a minute with Hellblazer, but I remember loving most of the first 10 years (or so) then it becomes a mixed bag depending on the writer.

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

In agreement with Adset, there: Preacher is definitely a good read, and a good re-read, for that matter; Lucifer similarly, if less intensely. Books of Magic never engaged me; Hellblazer, as Adset suggests, is very writer dependent, some arcs great, others... not so...
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Astonishing Member

When wanting to branch out of just the super heroes in capes books I landed on Hellblazer right before Rake at the Gates of Hell and really enjoyed it. Had a very british, but I like that but intelligent feel to it. I cannot speak of it completely but I have read some very good Hellblazer/Constantine arcs but never all the way through. Books of Magic I was in during the Gaiman thru the Ney Reiber and I found it engaging enough. Back to Hellblazer the writer and artist who I liked on Hellblazer were just about to leave and start a new book called Preacher. I was in on Preacher from the first issue all the way to the last. Not saying it was always great but rarely not good. I being a Christian myself wouldn't give it to the kids at my church, it can feature some seriously adult themes but nothing that offended me because...it's a comic. If I had to do it all over again I would go Preacher highest recommendation but that is because it had one vision, one writer through the entire run, whereas Hellblazer had highs and lows because of different writers/artists/visions. Books of Magic is well put together and had a vision initially but I can't speak of how it ended and I never really got into Lucifer but after the TV show and the appearances in Sandman, I might give it a try myself.