Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default The Alien Franchise

This'll be the Disney-FOX relaunch of Alien, kind of like how they did PREY.

The film seems to feature a young adult cast (Which the other films except maybe the AVPs didn't really have as much unless you count Winona Ryder or Newt-most of the actors in ALIEN were over 40 or in their 30s) and is said to take place between ALIEN and ALIENS. Not much revealed except a Face hugger from "Happy Alien Day".

Wonder if it could be a semi-adaptation of the ALIEN: ISOLATION game? Actress Caelee Spenny does bear a resemblance to Sigourney Weaver and could play Amanda (Who appears as an old woman in an ALIENS deleted/special edition scene-actually a picture of Sigourney's mother, Elizabeth Inglis).
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Like Terminator I barely even remember when these were good rather than another content treadmill.

Ridley Scott is involved with this movie too, even though he said he wouldn't return unless it was to finish his trilogy. I think it'll be less of a "relaunch" and more of a standalone story unconnected from the other films.

I have LOVED every Alien film except for Prometheus, and going by the set photos, they seem to be staying true to the original quadriology's retro age technology (which Prometheus and Covenant sadly did not) and aesthetic.

The director Fede Alvarez directed the 2013 Evil Dead and Don't Breathe, two films I enjoyed. I wasn't interested in his Girl with the Dragon Tattoo reboot, I heard that wasn't great. But I'm definitely interested in this film, and if it can work just as well as Prey did as a solid standalone franchise entry that delivers without an insane budget, I'll be satisfied.

I just don't like putting these movies out as streaming originals. This should have a run in theaters and a physical release soon after.
    love is the real "success."
    Free Palestine! 🇵🇸Ceasefire NOW!
    They/Them

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    The TV show is set on earth before the first film, so I think it's almost completely unconnected
    They/Them

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    Like Terminator I barely even remember when these were good rather than another content treadmill.
    Think the first two are still generally well-liked, Alien 3 and Prometheus/Covenant are kind of "Your mileage may vary", Ressurection and AVP are kind of considered bottom of the barrel, although Ressurection does have some fun with Perlman, Dourif and a young Raymond Cruz.
    Also some Firefly/Serenity fans see it as a prototype of that crew.

There's been some pretty good games, novels and comics here and there. (Pretty much where the AVP stuff started, although better there than on film)

Seems to be a very definite homage to the original Alien trailer, which likewise featured the creepy scream (Meant maybe to be the warning?), showed mainly the facehugger and people running around in corridors.

For comparison's sake:

Although looking it the Prometheus trailer it also used the wail.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 03-20-2024 at 10:34 AM.

I liked that teaser a lot.

What's interesting about this movie is how Alvarez wants to honor the canon established by Scott in Prometheus and Covenant - stuff like the black goo for example will be present in this film- whereas Noah Hawley for his Alien TV series has officially come out and said he does not, and that he doesn't like the prequels. So we could be seeing a definitive divergence of two separate Alien timelines here.

There's also a rumor going around that this movie will be using de-aged Sir Ian Holm reprising his role as Ash, and I don't think it's been confirmed but it comes from AVPGalaxy which is my primary Alien and Predator news source. If that rumor is true it would be really disappointing and leave a sour taste in my mouth.

Just please don't screw it up...
    They/Them

Really good teaser. I had given up at first, when I heard of Ridley's involvement. But I like Fede, so had high hopes. Trailer KIOOTP!

Mighty Member

Great trailer! VERY action packed. Today's viewers probably prefer something more fast paced than the 79 flick. Still dream of a GOOD AvP movie set in space with colonial marines caught in the middle. Maybe Fede can make that one...

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyO'Brien View Post
    Great trailer! VERY action packed. Today's viewers probably prefer something more fast paced than the 79 flick. Still dream of a GOOD AvP movie set in space with colonial marines caught in the middle. Maybe Fede can make that one...
    I still want an AVP movie based on the '89 comic - the first ever AVP media. The original film script was based on it but it was scrapped.
    They/Them

Mighty Member

Ah yes, the Peter Briggs script. Would LOVE that one. Apparently the script ends with the CM's showing up but the bugs have been killed already!

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I don't know, it was a slick trailer to be sure...but it reminded me so much of the original that it feels like the trailer to a remake rather than a sequel.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

A lot of ALIENS itself kind of remakes ALIENS in it's second half; Ripley nearly botching the escape by trying to rescue another crewmember (Newt instead of Jones), everybody thinking they're safe but it turns out the Alien stowed aboard, Ripley throwing it out the airlock etc.

I think ALIEN 3 also intended to go 'back to basics' to the original in a sense with really just a few Aliens-The facehugger, "Dog" Alien and Queen Chestburster.