View Poll Results: Duke Thomas should....

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rebrand and become an indie hero in his own city

2 10.53%
  • Take over leadership of the Outsiders

1 5.26%
  • Redesign and move him over to the Black Lightning family

5 26.32%
  • Retire and take care of his mother

4 21.05%
  • Join his father and become a villain

2 10.53%
  • Become robin and/or revive the Robin movement

1 5.26%
  • Send him to space and make him a part of the cosmic side of DC

0 0%
  • Other

4 21.05%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Depending on the comic book store those YA books are available to be ordered by them. I want to say there is a month or two difference between when regular stores get them and comic stores can order them.
    But when they make something that is pretty much diected on this audience (like Batgirls or Tim Drake Robin imo were) they should directly make it a graphic novel for the book stores and a floppy series.

Ultimate Member

Well I have to rethink the YA books at comic book stores after reading this...

This is from a store owner...

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/a-my...d-carrying-on/

Just food for thought...

"The other entity that is causing distress to the direct market in regards to collected editions is Amazon. While I suspect there actually may be a MAP in place with Amazon, they most likely work around that by preordering at full price. Then, six months later, when they are released, they are automatically discounted by 46%. Other retailers can't compete with 46% off. Not 40% off, not 36% off and not 30% off. I have spoken with store owners who no longer carry collected editions. They even tell their customers they are better off buying from Amazon."

"Here's where things get interesting. My DC Comics discount at Lunar is so awful now I am better off ordering from DCBS at 40% off the cover price than buying wholesale at Lunar at 35%. You did not read that wrong. DCBS and Lunar are the same company. DCBS is for consumer sales, and Lunar is for distribution to retailers for resale. How does it make any sense that the very consumers I'm trying to sell to for a profit can buy the same books I am wholesaling from the same company for less?
    It seems to be better for a person to order those books straight from Amazon or DCBS than a comic book store-who is NOT getting the discounts to order them.

Well I have to rethink the YA books at comic book stores after reading this...

This is from a store owner...

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/a-my...d-carrying-on/

Just food for thought...

It seems to be better for a person to order those books straight from Amazon or DCBS than a comic book store-who is NOT getting the discounts to order them.

Personally, I won't order collected editions from Amazon. They always come damaged. You can get them undamaged and at a better price from In Stock Trades.
    "It's not my Kate." - Greg Rucka

Extraordinary Member

Well, I hope it isn’t a case where Bat editorial only lets Luke, Duke and Jace shine one at a time.
    Like right now would be Luke’s push, because of the new Outsiders series.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Well, I hope it isn’t a case where Bat editorial only lets Luke, Duke and Jace shine one at a time.
    Like right now would be Luke’s push, because of the new Outsiders series.
    The new Outsiders are somewhat separated from the Bat-Family though - or at least Luke and Kate keep insisting on wanting to have nothing to do with Batman in #1 (whilst still wearing the Bat-symbol).

Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    I totally understand what Snyder was going for by trying to give Duke a distinct place in Gotham and therefore steered clear of associating him with the other teenaged characters, but in the long term I wonder if it has harmed his ability to integrate into "Batfamily" so to speak. Without established organic connections to the other characters his age he feels somewhat disconnected compared to the relationships between Tim Drake, Stephanie Brown, and Cassandra Cain and I wonder if fans of those characters came to view Duke Thomas as competition rather than a potential ally and friend to their favorite characters in the same way that all of the other characters have established friendships. I don't know if now is too late for that or if keeping him somewhat independent is the best course at this point.
    I remember a lot of Tim fans hating him back in the day so you are proven correct.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I remember a lot of Tim fans hating him back in the day so you are proven correct.
    Yeah we had some blame Duke for everything including the wedding issue.

One BOUGHT the books and said he colored out Duke in any panel he was in.

If you add up the panels Duke appeared in the main Batman book up to today-you MIGHT get 2 issues of all his appearances. We are nearing issue 150.

Yeah we had some blame Duke for everything including the wedding issue.

One BOUGHT the books and said he colored out Duke in any panel he was in.

If you add up the panels Duke appeared in the main Batman book up to today-you MIGHT get 2 issues of all his appearances. We are nearing issue 150.
    Damn

That's some serious hate and a waste of money.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 12-05-2023 at 10:45 AM.

Astonishing Member

Much like Tim I can't help but feel Duke was hurt by moving him out of his We Are Robin angle and switching him to the more typical Superhero angle with the Signal. Frankly I'm not sure why they started slapping super powers on him either or included the thing about his birth father. I feel like Duke was in pretty good spot with slow but steady upward trajectory in WAR which also showed us into the deeply neglected civilian side of Batman.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Bluebird

Put him and Bluebird in a book where they’re heroes focused on the areas of Gotham that don’t necessarily have a Bat protecting them 24/7.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    Much like Tim I can't help but feel Duke was hurt by moving him out of his We Are Robin angle and switching him to the more typical Superhero angle with the Signal.
    I mean he allready had "the typical Superhero angle" going in Snyders "Super Heavy" storyline, that ran at the same time as we are Robin.

Frankly I'm not sure why they started slapping super powers on him either or included the thing about his birth father.
    I think everything they did with the character after it was clear that Damian would be coming back and that he would not be the next was pretty much throwing spaghetti at the wall.
    I mean they switched direction and writers basically yearly.

I feel like Duke was in pretty good spot with slow but steady upward trajectory in WAR which also showed us into the deeply neglected civilian side of Batman.
    Don't now WAR had pretty low sales in the end.