Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default Direction for Conner Kent

Hello,
    I am a big fan of Conner.
    He, Jon, and Kenan are now too similar in character and look. I heard that people have problems to distinguish Conner and Jon and I also had the same problem when they were in their civilian clothes, because they look the same with Conner only having a SLIGHTLY different haircut (seen from behind).

What DC needs to do is to make them more different with separate Clothes, look, character, interests etc.

For Conner the best way is:

1. Look:
    He needs to get his Teen Titans look back, which he also had in the Titans United Mini-Series.
    The muscular look with Jeans, Black Shirt. Also Match in Suicide Squad looked MUCH better than the actual Conner. He needs to be more muscular than Jon to distinguish Conner and Jon and show that Conner is the older one.
    To make the look more interesting he should keep the piercing on the ear, add a necklace with pendant and keep a biker-style leather jacket in black or Bordeaux red and sometimes modern sunglasses.
    So, more rockstar look with Jeans, Shirt, Leather jacket and piercing.
    This is the best way for him to look unique and to honour both costumes and make it more modern, without losing the rockstar/punk attitude.

Other looks could be long jacket like John Morrison of WWE or Dante from the Videogame Devil May Cry.

He needs to be CLEARLY distinguishable from Jon and Kenan AND I absolutely DIDN’T like most of his Rebirth designs (for example the Superboy-Man of Tomorrow design looked WAY to young and many others design looked to small and/or the face looked not like Clarks). My favorite designs for face and body come from Young Justice TV Series and Titans United/Teen Titans so that Conner is basically (body and face) a smaller younger version of Clark. So, both same face, eyes etc.

2. Power-Set
    The Power-Set remains LOGICALLY the same which he already had, but there should be FINALLY a clear indication how powerful he is, because EVERY writer changes it.
    For example, Match was in Suicide Squad EASILY able to fight against Ultraman and has won the fight, while Conner in Future State had big difficulties to fight against Lor-Zod.
    BUT what DC MUST do is:
    -I LOVED that Match in Suicide Squad also used his powers in smart ways like speaking to Bolt so fast that only she could hear it and it remained undetected. Also, that Match used his powers to find out how fast the speedster vibrates and defeated him.
    -The other thing which DC MUST!! Do is that they also must look at what Conner was able to do in his first years (disassemble robots etc. and change the structure of items like when he had this “date” with Cassandra Cain he changed the density and look of the clouds to construct a castle).
    As Cyborg Superman reappeared in DC Rebirth DC seemed to have forgotten that Conner could easily disassemble Cyborg Superman with his TTK which he did during Reign of Supermen and did once to Cyborg as he was under Luthors Control.
    -Also make his TTK more powerful and show how he learns to control its better

3. Code-Name and Nickname
    I grew up reading Superboy and Superboy is much more rooted in Rock, Metal and Punk (even though DC now changed, and Reign of Supermen didn’t happen anymore in the 90).

A new Code-Name I would vote for SAVIOUR 13 (Tim used Saviour as Code-Name, it starts with an S) and 13 reminds me of his Cadmus Name (Subject 13) and 13 also has kind of mythical symbolism in it.

4. Interests
    I like that he is more the creative person, who likes all sorts of creative things (cooking, drawing, reading, also building bikes…). This also PERFECTLY FITS with his TTK-which gets best used when the user has a creative mind.
    Other interests: music, films (I LOVED when he, Kenan, the Super-Twins watched the slasher movie).
    There was also one story when Superboy got his name Kon-El and he discussed Metallica Albums with Clark.

5. Attitude
    I like that he is also like his Young Justice Anime Counterpart.
    So, he has a fierce temper during fighting, but is otherwise a relaxed cool guy, who also likes to flirts and has success with ladies.

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Masterff View Post
    Hello,
    I am a big fan of Conner.
    He, Jon, and Kenan are now too similar in character and look. I heard that people have problems to distinguish Conner and Jon and I also had the same problem when they were in their civilian clothes, because they look the same with Conner only having a SLIGHTLY different haircut (seen from behind).

What DC needs to do is to make them more different with separate Clothes, look, character, interests etc.

For Conner the best way is:

1. Look:
    He needs to get his Teen Titans look back, which he also had in the Titans United Mini-Series.
    The muscular look with Jeans, Black Shirt. Also Match in Suicide Squad looked MUCH better than the actual Conner. He needs to be more muscular than Jon to distinguish Conner and Jon and show that Conner is the older one.
    To make the look more interesting he should keep the piercing on the ear, add a necklace with pendant and keep a biker-style leather jacket in black or Bordeaux red and sometimes modern sunglasses.
    So, more rockstar look with Jeans, Shirt, Leather jacket and piercing.
    This is the best way for him to look unique and to honour both costumes and make it more modern, without losing the rockstar/punk attitude.

Other looks could be long jacket like John Morrison of WWE or Dante from the Videogame Devil May Cry.

He needs to be CLEARLY distinguishable from Jon and Kenan AND I absolutely DIDN’T like most of his Rebirth designs (for example the Superboy-Man of Tomorrow design looked WAY to young and many others design looked to small and/or the face looked not like Clarks). My favorite designs for face and body come from Young Justice TV Series and Titans United/Teen Titans so that Conner is basically (body and face) a smaller younger version of Clark. So, both same face, eyes etc.

2. Power-Set
    The Power-Set remains LOGICALLY the same which he already had, but there should be FINALLY a clear indication how powerful he is, because EVERY writer changes it.
    For example, Match was in Suicide Squad EASILY able to fight against Ultraman and has won the fight, while Conner in Future State had big difficulties to fight against Lor-Zod.
    BUT what DC MUST do is:
    -I LOVED that Match in Suicide Squad also used his powers in smart ways like speaking to Bolt so fast that only she could hear it and it remained undetected. Also, that Match used his powers to find out how fast the speedster vibrates and defeated him.
    -The other thing which DC MUST!! Do is that they also must look at what Conner was able to do in his first years (disassemble robots etc. and change the structure of items like when he had this “date” with Cassandra Cain he changed the density and look of the clouds to construct a castle).
    As Cyborg Superman reappeared in DC Rebirth DC seemed to have forgotten that Conner could easily disassemble Cyborg Superman with his TTK which he did during Reign of Supermen and did once to Cyborg as he was under Luthors Control.
    -Also make his TTK more powerful and show how he learns to control its better

3. Code-Name and Nickname
    I grew up reading Superboy and Superboy is much more rooted in Rock, Metal and Punk (even though DC now changed, and Reign of Supermen didn’t happen anymore in the 90).

A new Code-Name I would vote for SAVIOUR 13 (Tim used Saviour as Code-Name, it starts with an S) and 13 reminds me of his Cadmus Name (Subject 13) and 13 also has kind of mythical symbolism in it.

4. Interests
    I like that he is more the creative person, who likes all sorts of creative things (cooking, drawing, reading, also building bikes…). This also PERFECTLY FITS with his TTK-which gets best used when the user has a creative mind.
    Other interests: music, films (I LOVED when he, Kenan, the Super-Twins watched the slasher movie).
    There was also one story when Superboy got his name Kon-El and he discussed Metallica Albums with Clark.

5. Attitude
    I like that he is also like his Young Justice Anime Counterpart.
    So, he has a fierce temper during fighting, but is otherwise a relaxed cool guy, who also likes to flirts and has success with ladies.
    Also got a kick of how he joked that watching movies helped Kenan learn the English language (the “don’t get cocky” bit was great). Was really cool how they bonded over stuff like that (and gaming too). Them becoming pals was a highlight of the whole Super-fam thing.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

What's crazy to me is his ongoing by the end involved so growth and they're sitting here in 2023 for some reason with all of this worry about how to take him out of 1994 without doing that 2003 version again.

For me the post Johns take seemed sanitized, almost lobotomized. Making him different from Jon and Kenan should be a fun problem to solve in that the result should be fun. His power makes him so unique and yet they basically just make him a Kryptonian with quirks. His outfit... honestly, I don't want them to update his old costume. Looking at the recent Death special it's clear that they shouldn't touch it. Move on, especially with Kenan rocking a jacket look now.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Spectacular Member

DC had the perfect opportunity to distinguish Conner from the other Super family by making him Trans (via Maggs' proposal), but they threw it away. The fallout is on them now.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I don't know if that ship has sailed but I gotta tell ya, not really sorry if it doesn't pull back in
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Monari View Post
    DC had the perfect opportunity to distinguish Conner from the other Super family by making him Trans (via Maggs' proposal), but they threw it away. The fallout is on them now.
    What fallout?

Peak Conner was Conner as Cassie Sandsmark's boyfriend.

Sooo... I'd have that as a defining aspect of any run I wrote. Or maybe spouse if it's a future-verse story.... enh, maybe throw in kids if it's that far in the future.

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

Quote Originally Posted by Monari View Post
    There's no fallout. Nobody cares about that proposal anymore. If anything, that was going to be the death of the character.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post

Sooo... I'd have that as a defining aspect of any run I wrote. Or maybe spouse if it's a future-verse story.... enh, maybe throw in kids if it's that far in the future.
    Sadly, I don't think anyone at DC will do anything unique with the pairing except making them Superman-lite and Wonder Woman-lite. Which is where Geoff Johns was heading.

Quote Originally Posted by DABellWrites View Post
    Sadly, I don't think anyone at DC will do anything unique with the pairing except making them Superman-lite and Wonder Woman-lite. Which is where Geoff Johns was heading.
    Well, yes, but, I liked that.

That era's Superman and Wonder Woman weren't romantically involved, so having a WW jr and Superman Jr get romantically entangled was cool and interesting.

I thought Porter's miniseries was a good status quo. Just give him a new name and he's set.

Amazing Member

Respectfully disagree. Peak Conner was saving the universe in Infinite Crisis or his representation in Young Justice.
    I don’t think someone should be fundamentally dependent on attachment to another character. ( my main issue with the tumblr crowd )

Quote Originally Posted by Super_kon View Post
    Respectfully disagree. Peak Conner was saving the universe in Infinite Crisis or his representation in Young Justice.
    I don’t think someone should be fundamentally dependent on attachment to another character. ( my main issue with the tumblr crowd )
    You mean THIS Crisis?

HEHEHEEHEH, It was great!!!!

Amazing Member

You mean THIS Crisis?

HEHEHEEHEH, It was great!!!!
    That’s not Infinite Crisis. That’s the end of Teen titans vol 3, #100.

Quote Originally Posted by Super_kon View Post
    That’s not Infinite Crisis. That’s the end of Teen titans vol 3, #100.
    Oh right, but the infinite Crisis also had them as a couple.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

I agree there needs to be some differentiation between the looks of Kenan, Jon and Conner. Depending on the artist, they can all look alike in their new styles (all similar jackets. Giving Connere back his bulkier frame would be a good start, likewise, I liked the tshirt and jeans look as well. I very much liked where his mini series left him and feel that would be a good place to move forward from. I wish writers would focus on him using his TTK more often and similarly using that to help separate him from his other family members.

I am also still a firm believer that DC missed a fantastic opportunity making Kon, Tim, Bart and Cassie the new Outsiders with the mission Lanzing and Kelly set up.
    William Messner Loebs Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-writ...ource=customer

Peter David Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/peter-david-fund

Len Kaminski Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-save-len-kaminski