Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    Honestly at this point in his life, Kurt should just expect any interaction with Mystique will bring some convoluted new twist into his life. At least this time she isn't trying to kill or manipulate one of her children, or introducing yet another secret half-sibling. The bar is on the ground with Mystique, and this new incident doesn't even make the top 10 list of worst things she's done.
    Its not Mystique he should be mad at but rather Xavier for keeping this secret. It adds another hidden secret that makes him look like an a-hole. Maybe i need to read it again, but why did the women need to have their memories erased of this?

Quote Originally Posted by Harasar View Post
    How was is retconned? Just like Kurt, Azazel is demon-looking mutant, not an actual demon. He introduced himself as devil, but then quickly revealed what he, and all his followers, are actually mutants, but for their appearances they were treated as demons. And unlike Kurt, who decided to be a good person despite his appearance and how people saw and treated him because of it, Azazel embraced it, became evil warmonger and pretended to be an actual demon.

If Marvel wanted for Mystique and Destiny to have a biological child, they could have just revealed what Rogue is their child. Barely anything is known about her biological parents, so this retcon would've been much easier. And IIRC it was already done in one of the Exiles stories in which Mystique was a man or preferred male form and Rogue was his and Irene's child. Or the child could've been a mother/grandmother of Blindfold since it was already hinted what she is Irene's descendant. For Kurt this retcon doesn't change anything, his biological parents are still both villains who abandoned him and ignored him all his life apart from the moments when they needed something from him. Unless Marvel plans to suddenly turn Mystique and Destiny into loving parents and make Kurt forgive them for all their crimes and become a loving son, their relationships likely wouldn't change at all. Maybe Mystique and Destiny would've been more sympathetic as parents, if they hadn't asked Xavier to erase their memories, and actually knew what they have son and loved him, but due to Irene's visions were forced to abandon him and stay away from him for years, silently suffering. This would've worked as a better sacrifice, then just choosing an easy way to forget Kurt.
    I doubt thats why Marvel did it. This was done bc of Kurt
    Last edited by Havok83; 12-01-2023 at 04:40 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Its not Mystique he should be mad at but rather Xavier for keeping this secret. It adds another hidden secret that makes him look like an a-hole. Maybe i need to read it again, but why did the women need to have their memories erased of this?
    Far be it from me to defend Xavier - I think I might have a concussion, its the only thing that makes sense - but the issue did have him claim he was going to erase his own memories of the encounter because it was their private business. Kurt would've just been a random child somewhere out in the world as far as Xavier was concerned at that point - he had no connection to him himself, and by the time Kurt DID become an actual X-Man, presumably Xavier sought him out simply because of Cerebro & his obvious mutations not because he retained any memory that would identify Kurt as the child of Irene and Raven. While your mileage may vary on how plausible all that is, the issue does at least present the situation as though Xavier never deliberately withheld information from Kurt while Kurt angsted about the mysteries of his parentage....he didn't remember that he'd ever HAD any additional insight to offer.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post

Spurrier just added that in to take away some of the fault from Mystique and Destiny. There's no reason for Xavier to be here cuz him meeting these two before Days of Future Past is stupid.
    "Cable was right!"

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Pretty much.

They both could have lived with the knowledge they had to give him up...for reasons...and it might have actually suited the story better and not make them look like complete shitbags.

Azazel could have just remained a well-timed fling serving only to give Raven his chromosomes.

You either have to stretch credulity and suspension of disbelief for a whole slew of things that occurred in the story to an extreme extent or just say "**** it, it's done. Let's move on."
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 12-01-2023 at 05:45 PM.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Oh god, Kurt is now Destiny's Child.

I can look at him the same again.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

Quote Originally Posted by AJpyro View Post
    Oh god, Kurt is now Destiny's Child.

I can look at him the same again.
    LMAO. Post of the week.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    LMAO. Post of the week.
    You are now hearing Kurt sing this with BAMF backup dancers

I'm a survivor (what), I'm not gon' give up (what)
    I'm not gon' stop (what), I'm gon' work harder (what)
    I'm a survivor (what), I'm gonna make it (what)
    I will survive (what), keep on survivin' (what)
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Harasar View Post
    How was is retconned? Just like Kurt, Azazel is demon-looking mutant, not an actual demon. He introduced himself as devil, but then quickly revealed what he, and all his followers, are actually mutants, but for their appearances they were treated as demons. And unlike Kurt, who decided to be a good person despite his appearance and how people saw and treated him because of it, Azazel embraced it, became evil warmonger and pretended to be an actual demon.

If Marvel wanted for Mystique and Destiny to have a biological child, they could have just revealed what Rogue is their child. Barely anything is known about her biological parents, so this retcon would've been much easier. And IIRC it was already done in one of the Exiles stories in which Mystique was a man or preferred male form and Rogue was his and Irene's child. Or the child could've been a mother/grandmother of Blindfold since it was already hinted what she is Irene's descendant. For Kurt this retcon doesn't change anything, his biological parents are still both villains who abandoned him and ignored him all his life apart from the moments when they needed something from him. Unless Marvel plans to suddenly turn Mystique and Destiny into loving parents and make Kurt forgive them for all their crimes and become a loving son, their relationships likely wouldn't change at all. Maybe Mystique and Destiny would've been more sympathetic as parents, if they hadn't asked Xavier to erase their memories, and actually knew what they have son and loved him, but due to Irene's visions were forced to abandon him and stay away from him for years, silently suffering. This would've worked as a better sacrifice, then just choosing an easy way to forget Kurt.

Seriously? Maybe, I missed it but... I don't recall ever reading any Exiles stories in which it's explicitly stated that Mystique, (in the guise of a man or preferred male form) and Irene were the biological parents of Rogue... However, that said, there is enough history of Anna Marie's biological parents that their physical existence can't be denied. Might you know in which volume of Exiles (AU) and the issue number(s) where I can find the said story so I can post the pages for all to see?

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    People are really out here, fighting tooth and nail, to argue real world applications to the BIRTHING PROCESS OF A TELEPORTING BLUE DEVIL BABY.
    I don’t think many people are really arguing real world applications, it’s more that the story doesn’t even make sense within the established continuity.
    Spurrier had to change Mystique’s powers, ignore Destiny’s age, incorrectly depict Rogue’s age etc all for this story to make any kind of sense. Look up suspension of disbelief. Stories need to work within the confines of the established rules of their universes for readers to buy what the writer is selling.
    Spurrier had to disregard many of those rules for this retcon, which leads to many of us being taken out of the story.
    Basic stuff of what we knew about Mystique and Destiny simply do not fit what’s being presented.
    Maybe if they had actually built up Mystique’s new powers in other stories instead of presenting them in the same issue as the retcon the reveal wouldn’t have felt so ham-fisted?
    But to be honest I can’t see a good way of deaging Destiny. I already felt it was unnecessary to portray her as a much younger woman after resurrection, but to even retcon her past so that she has never actually been as old as the character we’ve known since the 80s? It’s pretty icky.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

If they wanted to make Raven and Irene the parents, the MU has sufficient technology to make this happen without much retconning. Make the dead mama that Margali found the surrogate the old villain women killed.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Quote Originally Posted by AoANightcrawler View Post
    It is interesting how this retcon is even reconning real life, because you are correct Nightmare was always his intended father and Mystique as the father was plan B. But I guess that story isn't going to sell this comic as well.

Unfortunately I think your read on the story as bad fanfic is also true. Seems like they jumped through a million hoops to try and please everyone, which for some will no doubt work but for me in no way makes for an interesting read.
    But Plan B should have prevented Kurt’s conception in the first place…

IMG_0710.jpg
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    If they wanted to make Raven and Irene the parents, the MU has sufficient technology to make this happen without much retconning.
    AFAIK, no known marvel technology exists (not even time travel technology) that can do all that without retconning anything and everything connected to Raven and Irene. Even if Doctor Strange put a whammy on the two it would still be a retcon because of the canonical printed pages.

Make the dead mama that Margali found the surrogate the old villain women killed.
    Umm... Huh?!? Raven and Irene weren't broken until now. Still, I find it ironic that some readers are throwing fan fiction at the current reveal to fix something that never happened in the pages of the past
    Last edited by Micabe; 12-02-2023 at 01:38 AM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Micabe View Post
    Seriously? Maybe, I missed it but... I don't recall ever reading any Exiles stories in which it's explicitly stated that Mystique, (in the guise of a man or preferred male form) and Irene were the biological parents of Rogue... However, that said, there is enough history of Anna Marie's biological parents that their physical existence can't be denied. Might you know in which volume of Exiles (AU) and the issue number(s) where I can find the said story so I can post the pages for all to see?

Raphael-Raven Darkhölme (Earth-797) It was the story by Claremont.

I know about Owen and Priscilla, but we never saw Rogue's birth, unlike Kurt's, so it is easier to change it. For example, Destiny and Mystique decided to have a kid and gave birth to Rogue, but the moment she was born, Destiny saw a vision about something bad about to happen to her and Raven, and so they decided to temporarily leave Rogue to keep her safe. They gave her to Owen and Priscilla who acted as her parents for years, but after Rogue escaped, Destiny saw her again in visions and they "adopted" her.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Icefanatic View Post
    Yep, which is why Claremont gave up on it, because he couldn't make it work. Which is being ignored in favor of the false-but-sexier 'Marvel wouldn't let him!'

I long for the day when works of bad fanfic go back to being the works of fans, and not the stuff being published every month.

False. Marvel indeed wouldn't let Chris Claremont work on it