Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    It doesn't matter the era, the toys sell which means there was no damage to the brand
    Well if a franchise is condemned to telling stories in the past of what's already out because what happens in the future doesn't interest enough people, I don't think that's very healthy for the franchise in the long term.
    Last edited by Marvel Wars; 02-12-2024 at 03:15 AM.

Niffleheim

being malcontent is synonymous with star wars fanbase so I don't think Lucasfilms are that much concerned bc the fanbase identify with the franchise too closely to ever abandon it.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marvel Wars View Post
    Well if a franchise is condemned to telling stories in the past of what's already out because what happens in the future doesn't interest enough people, I don't think that's very healthy for the franchise in the long term.
    ...it does interest people though.

I mean, I didn't care for the sequels but plenty did as they sold a boat load of tickets.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    South Park parodied both sides of the argument, but still made some decent points. Both overreact, but in the mess, there are some points. On both sides. A female lead in the main films? Sweet. One that requires no training on, anything, let alone development? Uh, pass. Is it the end of the franchise? Not even remotely.

Disney + series though, have been the main positive force in mainstream media. Even though I wish a certain character to be brought back, even I admit that the series runners know what to do with the universe. They build upon characters and other minor story arcs, and do a great job in developing them without breaking anything.
    This is actually something I think should be brought up for the more nuanced analysis of the franchise - Kathleen Kennedy as a producer pulled a lightning quick and hugely successful transition from “Plan A” to “Plan B” when it looks like most of Hollywood and much of LFL would have stuck with Plan A to potential danger.

There arguably *should* have been an unscheduled “dead period” in Star Wars development once Solo came out and bombed in TLJ’s wake; the spin-off idea had just slammed into cruel reality, the ST was having Abrams coming in to reluctantly finish it off after it got compromised before TLJ’s release, let alone afterwards... and yet before TROS premieres, Kennedy had shifted almost all of LFL’s resources to Disney + shows under Favreau and Filoni, which quickly turn things around.

I mean, there was that week or two before Solo where, ostensibly, the future of Star Wars was a Rian Johnson trilogy on one hand and another spin-off featuring Boba Fett. Remember that? And then they ostensibly tried to get D&D from Game of Thrones to make a movie or three, and they’ve still been trying to launch a movie and keep restarting it for different reasons...

But because Kennedy was sharp enough and quick enough to drop the Johnson Trilogy as a priority and replace Mangold’s Fett film with Favreau’s Mandalorian show, and then to give Filoni more power to resurrect The Clone Wars and scope out if he and Favreau can do more. And none of that was foreshadowed until after Solo’s release, implying she leapt into action after seeing that box office returns and after putting up with Plan A’s BTS drama for all but one, highly divisive movie.

If Kennedy sticks to Plan A, the franchise might experience the backlash of TLJ across the brand, and instead, a new sub franchise is launched instead to recover their credit and launch most of the current status quo.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    This is actually something I think should be brought up for the more nuanced analysis of the franchise - Kathleen Kennedy as a producer pulled a lightning quick and hugely successful transition from “Plan A” to “Plan B” when it looks like most of Hollywood and much of LFL would have stuck with Plan A to potential danger.

There arguably *should* have been an unscheduled “dead period” in Star Wars development once Solo came out and bombed in TLJ’s wake; the spin-off idea had just slammed into cruel reality, the ST was having Abrams coming in to reluctantly finish it off after it got compromised before TLJ’s release, let alone afterwards... and yet before TROS premieres, Kennedy had shifted almost all of LFL’s resources to Disney + shows under Favreau and Filoni, which quickly turn things around.

I mean, there was that week or two before Solo where, ostensibly, the future of Star Wars was a Rian Johnson trilogy on one hand and another spin-off featuring Boba Fett. Remember that? And then they ostensibly tried to get D&D from Game of Thrones to make a movie or three, and they’ve still been trying to launch a movie and keep restarting it for different reasons...

But because Kennedy was sharp enough and quick enough to drop the Johnson Trilogy as a priority and replace Mangold’s Fett film with Favreau’s Mandalorian show, and then to give Filoni more power to resurrect The Clone Wars and scope out if he and Favreau can do more. And none of that was foreshadowed until after Solo’s release, implying she leapt into action after seeing that box office returns and after putting up with Plan A’s BTS drama for all but one, highly divisive movie.

If Kennedy sticks to Plan A, the franchise might experience the backlash of TLJ across the brand, and instead, a new sub franchise is launched instead to recover their credit and launch most of the current status quo.
    True. But you know, in the back of many fans' minds, is that the Rey trilogy fenced in a lot of those series. So, while yes, the Mandolorian and such were able to find footing and their own standing for the fans at large, there is still the point in the films that you can only go up to before having to acknowledge unpopular parts of the films.

Dragon Ball Super has a similar issue, though with a far less controversial ending. Everything in it is supposed to take place between the end of the Buu Arc, and the End of Z, when Goku flies off with Uub to train him. By the count of fans that have done the math, the manga at least, has gone past that technically, but not in story (yet). Star Wars, unlike Dragon Ball, is probably expected to keep a time frame steady.

I'm not sure but I think it's possible anime/manga views canon a bit differently.

Just take a look at Gundam. Sure there's alternate universes which are marketed as such (Wing, Seed etc) but even the Universal Century stuff can get a bit complicated, as the original series alone has like three versions-the TV show, the compilation movies which change certain details such as mecha designs, the order of events or even one or two character fates; and the whole "Origin" continuity.

Even Zeta Gundam has an alternate telling with the movie compilation in which Camille doesn't go crazy and then into a coma.

Then there's Recognista in G and Turn A Gundam which say that all the Gundams happened in the same universe and it's some kind of historical loop or something.

Or several anime that adapt manga, but often change several of the details (The adaptations of Rumiko Takahashi's work for example)
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth