Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Did Disney SW meet my expectations? Well given they were low due to the Prequels the overall response is yes.

Mandalorian, Andor, TFA, Rebels, Rogue One, the final season of Clone Wars, Tales of the Jedi were all great to really good.

Solo, Ahsoka, Obi-Wan, The Bad Batch, The Book of Boba Fett, & the Rise of Skywalker were ok.

The only thing I disliked was TLJ.

I have no opinion on the Visions thing because Anime isn't my bag. & Resistance that animated show Filoni did wasn't bad (watched the 1st episode) but also wasn't something I was interested in.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Guild View Post
    Darth Vader had a number of things going for him. Mystery, an awesome appearance, James Earl Jones' voice, and a number of EU appearances alongside characters like Luke, Han, and Leia that young fans wanted to see more of. Darth Maul's mystique kept him going well past TPM, aided by Lucas letting the character get out there. Kylo Ren got a better shake than Finn but he's an anemic character all the same, esp. when measured against the Darths or the "Legends" Solo children before him.
    I think Kylo As A villain was also a victim of LFL's obsession with Ben Solo As Our Lead, while it simply easier to see how that obsession screwed up Rey and Finn first.

The character was introduced with a great costume, great music, Driver's portrayal of unstable psychosis being embraced by the film, and an air of mystery as well, albeit of a more twisted and disturbing kind... and I think those were actually Lucasfilm's issues with his TFA form.

TFA Kylo is set up to be a disturbing Hero Killer with a sadistic streak, a volatile temper, all portrayed with a dark sense of humor, and where his "pretty boy" features are only shown when he's at his most viscerally disturbing and dangerous, but with potential to be a pitiable tragic villain with a massive question mark about why he's so unrelatable, mad and crazy... but Lucasfilm doesn't want him unrelatable, mad and crazy, they want him as the focal POV of the story we agree with; they don't want him a deconstruction of the pretty boy archetype, they want his looks played up as an appeal tot he audience; they don't want him as a pitiable tragic villain, but instead as a sympathetic anti-hero...

...which leads to how they seem to almost HATE the idea of him having a mysterious past, or being taken seriously as a Hero Killer type of villain, so they instead allowed his past to be boring and seem to blame his bodycount on his victims rather than him. Admitting his past asks questions like "Why is he so fucked up?" means having to admit that he *is* fucked up in the first place, and LFL wants us to relate to him as a brooding, angsty teenager instead, so they just ignore that he's fucked up. Tackling how him killing and maiming so many people, including established heroes (Han directly, Ackbar directly, Finn and Rey directly, Luke indirectly), makes him a scary villain also means encouraging the audience to fear and hate him, and they want him to be the hero of the story as much as possible, so instead there's a substextual and at times even textual insistence "Han and Luke made him this way; Rey should feel bad for hurting him; Finn and everyone else don't matter compared to his feelings."

... So they wound up just neutering their villian while more overtly destroying their heroes, all so that Ben Solo could the treatment they felt he was "entitled" to.

I still say that the ST can be salvaged, particularly the heroes, but Kylo feels like he's been permanently handicapped as both a hero and a villain, ironically because LFL wnated the former so bad they savaged how well he worked as the latter.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

I don't think the non-Clone Wars prequel trilogy villains outside of Maul were exactly kids favorites either.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Boisterously Confused

I have very much enjoyed The Mandolorian, Obi-Wan Kenobi and Ahsoka (even tho, in the latter's case, I'd not watched the animated version). I also thought Rogue One quite good.

It interests me that (IMO) Disney did better by taking the focus away from the central SW story and characters (except for Obi-Wan), and putting it on the edges of their continuity. I can't help seeing parallels between SW and Marvel's development of the MCU that made a bank out of (what were then) the backbench characters. I have to wonder if the creatives just had freedom to do stuff nobody would have allowed with the big names and stories.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    I have very much enjoyed The Mandolorian, Obi-Wan Kenobi and Ahsoka (even tho, in the latter's case, I'd not watched the animated version). I also thought Rogue One quite good.

It interests me that (IMO) Disney did better by taking the focus away from the central SW story and characters (except for Obi-Wan), and putting it on the edges of their continuity. I can't help seeing parallels between SW and Marvel's development of the MCU that made a bank out of (what were then) the backbench characters. I have to wonder if the creatives just had freedom to do stuff nobody would have allowed with the big names and stories.
    I think part of the issue with the ST was that they *did* allow creators to do stuff anyone else wouldn't have let them do - particularly Rian Johnson, but Abrams and LFL also contributed by setting up Johnson to leave a ruin in his wake.

And while I think working with new characters gave creators a lot of freedom, especially on the Disney + shows, I'd argue that TLJ shows where even new characters could be sabotaged by a hostile or indifferent writer, considering how pissed Rey, Finn, Poe, and even Villainous!Kylo fans got after just the second major story featuring those characters.

They did a great job introducing pretty much all their new characters - its just that while Tony Gilroy, Deborah Chow and others pretty clearly loved and respected both the old and new characters, either just Rian Johnson or he and LFL's opinion-makers were disdainful and/or ignorant of the TFA characters and Luke.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

As a more casul guy who mostly has met Srtar Wars by movies... the Disney era killed my interest for Star Wars. I left with The Last Jedi and with no intention to see anything else new. Somethings is better be left behind.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I absolutely despise what Disney did to the original characters. That having been said, I don't think Lucas would have done a good job either. He probably would have done better than Disney with the original characters. Where I think Disney DID do a good job are the stuff outside the sequels. Solo, Rogue One, and especially Andor were great. Lucas never would have allowed something like Andor to be made. In his mind, this is a kid's franchise and that's it. There were misses but most of them weren't all that important. BOBF for instance. Lucas was hung up on midi-chlorians which we probably never would have heard the end of.
    Assassinate Putin!

Incredible Member

I expected Disney Star Wars to be garbage, so yes it met my expectations.

I will admit there were one or two things I did like so it wasn't all bad.

No, it has not. Rogue One was great and TFA was good but everything else movie-wise has steadily gone downhill for me. The series are okay but I only really liked Andor and the first season of the Mandalorian.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Rogue One is actually based on a story arc for Lucas's Star Wars TV show proposed by John Knoll, although the final product is probably far different from what would've been on TV. Hell, the final product Rogue One is somewhat different from the actual trailers....

Kind of curious how Han would've gone. Lucas during ROTJ's production was against Han's death proposed by Harrison, but that largely seemed to be the terms of Harrison's return in TFA.

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I absolutely despise what Disney did to the original characters. That having been said, I don't think Lucas would have done a good job either. He probably would have done better than Disney with the original characters. Where I think Disney DID do a good job are the stuff outside the sequels. Solo, Rogue One, and especially Andor were great. Lucas never would have allowed something like Andor to be made. In his mind, this is a kid's franchise and that's it. There were misses but most of them weren't all that important. BOBF for instance. Lucas was hung up on midi-chlorians which we probably never would have heard the end of.
    I'm not so sure, Lucas did say THE WIRE would be an inspiration for his Star Wars TV series. (and of course RO which introduced Andor has it's roots as part of that unmade show)

Astonishing Member

I liked Rogue One, first two seasons of Mandalorian, Andor, the last season of Clone Wars and The Bad Batch. Sequels started as OT remake, then Johnson tried to make ''a real cinema'' nobody really asked for, and then Disney tried to make some damage control in episode 9, and made things even worse. Currently, the entire franchise relies on TV-shows of dubious quality (except Andor) and endless fanservice by Filoni. No idea what's going on with recently announced movies, and I'm not really sure they even will be actually released. The only projects I'm looking forward to is Mangold's first Jedi movie, second season of Andor and Acolyte.
    Can't say it met my expectations.

Incredible Member Captain Britain of Earth 20's Avatar

Not at all. Disney has done more damage to the Star Wars than the Empire did to the rebellion. First they killed off Solo & Skywalker yet Leia survived (never mind Carrie Fisher died) then Kylo Ren aka Ben Solo seemed more confused than a boxer with a forty year career.
    Disney just trying to tank every franchise they bought with their political agenda and the hypocrisy of their actions
    Be yourself everyone is taken !! I'm an X-Man trapped in the DC omniverse

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Britain of Earth 20 View Post
    Not at all. Disney has done more damage to the Star Wars than the Empire did to the rebellion. First they killed off Solo & Skywalker yet Leia survived (never mind Carrie Fisher died) then Kylo Ren aka Ben Solo seemed more confused than a boxer with a forty year career.
    Disney just trying to tank every franchise they bought with their political agenda and the hypocrisy of their actions
    Except it didn't tank.

I mean, I didn't like the sequel trilogy but they were very financially successful. And there is no damage as Star Wars continues to be super popular.
    Last edited by thwhtGuardian; 02-09-2024 at 02:14 PM.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Britain of Earth 20 View Post
    I do hope you realize the “political agenda” of the ST wound up being “forget about the female main character and the black male lead, we’ve got sad, self-centered white guys to worship!” and not some bullshit about “Waaaa! They pushed diversity in my sci-fi that was already progressive and anti-fascist Waaaaa!”

The hypocrisy was going “Whoa, wait! Stop liking this black guy playing an escaped slave soldier and this actress playing a victim of violation and torture, and start paying attention to how the most prominent white guy in the younger cast is pretty!... Even if that means giving the literal Space Neo-Nazi special treatment.”

Now, you want to point out that TLJ also seems to dislike outright heroic white dudes as well, that’s fair, but that’s because it hates heroic characters, period, and wants selfish bastards. It’s pretentious film-making that screwed up the ST;honestly, they could have actually used more diversity like in TFA or Rogue One instead.

Otherwise, you’re just going to be saying the same stuff that some Disney exec would use to justify fucking over John Boyega and Daisy Ridley, while pretending that you disagree with him.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Except it didn't tank.

I mean, I didn't like the sequel trilogy but they were very financially successful. And there is no damage as Star Wars continues to be super popular.
    Didn’t tank is correct, but it definitely damaged a lot of the Star Wars brand specific to the ST and the movies (along with Solo).

TFA broke records, so that’s a success in every measure. Rogue One was shockingly good, and has an excellent spin-off, so that’s a success by every measure.

TLJ and TROS made a massive profit, but TLJ almost deliberately undercut and sabotaged the young heroes and villains and blasted apart much of Luke, Han and Leia’s post-OT potential as it currently stands, and drive off half the ST’s audience while killing interest in the surviving ST characters.

Solo drove far fewer people away, but proved that Star Wars fans aren’t going to religiously watch everything with a huge budget in the franchise, and with TLJ helped kill off the movie development... especially since (somewhat ironically) TLJ depended partially on poo-pooing it’s own franchise and most of the characters from the Saga stories to justify its own jaded fan base - who of course weren’t going to replace in embittered old school fans to watch a fun throwback Star Wars story.

The Disney+ shows have salvaged much of the brand on one hand and launched new avenues on another, but not fucking up with TLJ might have prevented them from having to shutter the film’s for several years, or struggle to produce new shows, movies, or games featuring Saga characters.

In some ways, the Disney+ shows have succeeded because they mostly don’t touch the ST related stuff. And we still don’t know if LFL really has it in them to salvage Rey and Finn; they have to admit they screwed them over first. Likewise with Luke; admitting that “Sad Midlife Crisis Man” is boring and shackles the character to limited story ideas is the quickest way to start telling stories with him again by ignoring the spirit and letter of TLJ’s stories.