Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    I do hope you realize the “political agenda” of the ST wound up being “forget about the female main character and the black male lead, we’ve got sad, self-centered white guys to worship!” and not some bullshit about “Waaaa! They pushed diversity in my sci-fi that was already progressive and anti-fascist Waaaaa!”

The hypocrisy was going “Whoa, wait! Stop liking this black guy playing an escaped slave soldier and this actress playing a victim of violation and torture, and start paying attention to how the most prominent white guy in the younger cast is pretty!... Even if that means giving the literal Space Neo-Nazi special treatment.”

Now, you want to point out that TLJ also seems to dislike outright heroic white dudes as well, that’s fair, but that’s because it hates heroic characters, period, and wants selfish bastards. It’s pretentious film-making that screwed up the ST;honestly, they could have actually used more diversity like in TFA or Rogue One instead.

Otherwise, you’re just going to be saying the same stuff that some Disney exec would use to justify fucking over John Boyega and Daisy Ridley, while pretending that you disagree with him.

Didn’t tank is correct, but it definitely damaged a lot of the Star Wars brand specific to the ST and the movies (along with Solo).

TFA broke records, so that’s a success in every measure. Rogue One was shockingly good, and has an excellent spin-off, so that’s a success by every measure.

TLJ and TROS made a massive profit, but TLJ almost deliberately undercut and sabotaged the young heroes and villains and blasted apart much of Luke, Han and Leia’s post-OT potential as it currently stands, and drive off half the ST’s audience while killing interest in the surviving ST characters.

Solo drove far fewer people away, but proved that Star Wars fans aren’t going to religiously watch everything with a huge budget in the franchise, and with TLJ helped kill off the movie development... especially since (somewhat ironically) TLJ depended partially on poo-pooing it’s own franchise and most of the characters from the Saga stories to justify its own jaded fan base - who of course weren’t going to replace in embittered old school fans to watch a fun throwback Star Wars story.

The Disney+ shows have salvaged much of the brand on one hand and launched new avenues on another, but not fucking up with TLJ might have prevented them from having to shutter the film’s for several years, or struggle to produce new shows, movies, or games featuring Saga characters.

In some ways, the Disney+ shows have succeeded because they mostly don’t touch the ST related stuff. And we still don’t know if LFL really has it in them to salvage Rey and Finn; they have to admit they screwed them over first. Likewise with Luke; admitting that “Sad Midlife Crisis Man” is boring and shackles the character to limited story ideas is the quickest way to start telling stories with him again by ignoring the spirit and letter of TLJ’s stories.
    It didn't damage the brand at all. I still saw plenty of kids dressing up as Star Wars characters(especially Rey) last Halloween, the toys seem to sell well if my all my nephews x-mas lists and the toy isle at the Target I go to are representative of the market, the comics sell well, the video games sell well, the novels sell well and the shows do well.

That's the brand.

Don't get whining on messages boards confused with the rest of the general audience.
    Last edited by thwhtGuardian; 02-10-2024 at 04:17 PM.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Ultimate Member

The whole political stuff entails a lot of revisionism, particularly that "WoMEn DOn'T LiKe StAR wArs".

Everyone watched and loved Star Wars. It wasn't just a "young men" story.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    the toys seem to sell well
    There's very few ST toys produced, just look at any collectible websites, it's all PT,OT,CW,Rebels and disney shows. I listened to a Star Wars podcast last year if I remember correctly and the guest was working in the toy industry and he said ST products don't sell.

the comics sell well
    The main Star Wars and Darth Vaders ongoings yes, the rest not that much

the video games sell well
    Fallen Order and Jedi Survivor yes great games, but Battlefront 2 before those two not that much. The scandal with the loot box killed the sales at the launch of the game, they should have made a lot more, the game was great.

the novels sell well and the shows do well
    I heard that is not really the case no, the sales for their High Republic era books are not what they expected. But I admit there is no hard proof for the books, that's just the rumor I heard.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvel Wars View Post
    There's very few ST toys produced, just look at any collectible websites, it's all PT,OT,CW,Rebels and disney shows. I listened to a Star Wars podcast last year if I remember correctly and the guest was working in the toy industry and he said ST products don't sell.

The main Star Wars and Darth Vaders ongoings yes, the rest not that much

Fallen Order and Jedi Survivor yes great games, but Battlefront 2 before those two not that much. The scandal with the loot box killed the sales at the launch of the game, they should have made a lot more, the game was great.

I heard that is not really the case no, the sales for their High Republic era books are not what they expected. But I admit there is no hard proof for the books, that's just the rumor I heard.
    It's all rumors, and they're not true. If the toy's didn't move why would Hasboro pay through the nose for the license? And if they didn't sell wouldn't they be hurting as a company? But instead, their revenue actually grew, and in the earnings call they specifically talked about about how it was due to continued strong sales in Star Wars. And it's the same with Random House, they just renewed their deal with Disney, why do that if they weren't raking in the dough? Because they are.

Star Wars continues to be very healthy, it's only online that it's "troubled"
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Have you read what I wrote ?
    Star Wars collectible sells a lot yes, just not the ST ones.
    Go on any collectibles websites and count how many ST collectibles you have compared to any others era of Star Wars. It's just a fact...

Have you read what I wrote ?
    Star Wars collectible sells a lot yes, just not the ST ones.
    Go on any collectibles websites and count how many ST collectibles you have compared to any others era of Star Wars. It's just a fact...
    Collectibles websites are a secondary market for people in a niche hobby that is separate from kids playing with toys and one has little to do with the other. Online fans like to be doom and gloom for some reason I'll never understand but the reality of the situation doesn't agree with that assessment at all.

I don't understand what you are saying. Every collectibles/toys produced are available on the collectibles websites, if there aren't any ST collectibles on these websites it's because they just don't exist.
    How do you want kids playing with ST toys if they don't exist ?
    And explain to me how Collectibles websites are a secondary market when most of the collectibles or even video games physical stores are dying or already dead ? A lot of collectibles/toys are not even available in physical stores nowadays, there are a lot of online exclusives.

I don't understand what you are saying. Every collectibles/toys produced are available on the collectibles websites, if there aren't any ST collectibles on these websites it's because they just don't exist.
    How do you want kids playing with ST toys if they don't exist ?
    And explain to me how Collectibles websites are a secondary market when most of the collectibles or even video games physical stores are dying or already dead ? A lot of collectibles/toys are not even available in physical stores nowadays, there are a lot of online exclusives.
    There are plenty of physical retail stores that sell toys...outside of home improvement it was literally the biggest retailing segment last year, so no that's another weird myth.

Again, Hasboro would not have sunk crazy money into a long term license if it wasn't profitable. It's as simple as that.

Ok for the last time I'm only talking about the Sequel Trilogy collectibles/toys...

Ultimate Member

I read back then that Battlefront 2 sold over 10 million copies.

I know EA wanted more but it was still a strong seller.

The lootbox controversy really hurt the game.

Ok for the last time I'm only talking about the Sequel Trilogy collectibles/toys...
    It doesn't matter the era, the toys sell which means there was no damage to the brand

Extraordinary Member

It doesn't matter the era, the toys sell which means there was no damage to the brand
    Eh, Hasbro found themselves weirdly, but temporarily, valuing the Power Rangers brand at a higher cost than the Star Wars brand in the wake of TLJ and Solo and before The Mandalorian really took off.

I think you’re overestimating how much “trouble”/“missed opportunity” I’m claiming. The brand is doing well in spite of the ST screwup because the brand is sal much larger than the ST; simultaneously, the ST started as a successful “mini-franchise” on its own, and yet fell apart under LFL care.

I think this completely fine to argue “the brand is still strong because the brand is bigger than any one era, but the brand would be even stronger if they hadn’t torpedoed their own era as well” which is what I’m arguing. The franchise is lucky to have Lucas giving them a massive boon of great material, and to have Dave Filoni and others doing that with their own stuff... but it *is* noticeable and a mild condemnation that they produced a $2 Billion dollar, record-breaking film in TFA where it’s two main characters shocked LFL with their popularity, and halved it through stubborn obstinance and bias.

My opinion is that “Star Wars is weakened!” would be just as inaccurate as “The Sewiel Trilogy was ruined by diversity!”, but also that “StarWars is string because it’s so big!”, “The Sequel Trilogy and its undercut were severally undercut and *are* in apathetic limbo,” and “The Sequel Trilogy suffered because of reactionary entitlement introduced in the second film, unlike the pro-diversity and ambition of the Disney+ shows and Rogue One” are all accurate statements.

The brand is still clearly healthy, but is both *should* be even healthier with more Skywalker, Rey, Finn, and Kylo material, yet also fortunately can still print money with other elements.

Star Wars With A Healthy Skywalker Saga > Star Wars Without A Healthy Skywalker Saga > 9/10 Other Brands.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    Eh, Hasbro found themselves weirdly, but temporarily, valuing the Power Rangers brand at a higher cost than the Star Wars brand in the wake of TLJ and Solo and before The Mandalorian really took off.

I think you’re overestimating how much “trouble”/“missed opportunity” I’m claiming. The brand is doing well in spite of the ST screwup because the brand is sal much larger than the ST; simultaneously, the ST started as a successful “mini-franchise” on its own, and yet fell apart under LFL care.

I think this completely fine to argue “the brand is still strong because the brand is bigger than any one era, but the brand would be even stronger if they hadn’t torpedoed their own era as well” which is what I’m arguing. The franchise is lucky to have Lucas giving them a massive boon of great material, and to have Dave Filoni and others doing that with their own stuff... but it *is* noticeable and a mild condemnation that they produced a $2 Billion dollar, record-breaking film in TFA where it’s two main characters shocked LFL with their popularity, and halved it through stubborn obstinance and bias.

My opinion is that “Star Wars is weakened!” would be just as inaccurate as “The Sewiel Trilogy was ruined by diversity!”, but also that “StarWars is string because it’s so big!”, “The Sequel Trilogy and its undercut were severally undercut and *are* in apathetic limbo,” and “The Sequel Trilogy suffered because of reactionary entitlement introduced in the second film, unlike the pro-diversity and ambition of the Disney+ shows and Rogue One” are all accurate statements.

The brand is still clearly healthy, but is both *should* be even healthier with more Skywalker, Rey, Finn, and Kylo material, yet also fortunately can still print money with other elements.

Star Wars With A Healthy Skywalker Saga > Star Wars Without A Healthy Skywalker Saga > 9/10 Other Brands.
    That all just seems very subjective. "It could be better" isn't an objective measurement, I mean, I'm not going to argue that they were fantastic as they weren't my cup of tea and I'm sure some Disney execs were hoping to make more money than they did but objectively the still performed tremendously. There just isn't a way to objectively say that there was real damage done. Disney ruined/weakened Star Wars is just the new George Lucas raped my childhood, and neither are true. It's fine to say that you didn't care for them, I certainly didn't, but the doom and gloom is just over blown and looks silly.

One thing I've noticed, the Hasbro vehicles seem to have been entirely phased out apart from the smaller Micro Galaxy or crowdfunded stuff like the Razor's Crest.

Not sure it's entirely relevant but Boba Fett OT kits are practically everywhere and relatively cheap, and provided one knows to make a model kit, are better proportioned than the Hasbro stuff and the same size.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 02-11-2024 at 02:56 PM.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

South Park parodied both sides of the argument, but still made some decent points. Both overreact, but in the mess, there are some points. On both sides. A female lead in the main films? Sweet. One that requires no training on, anything, let alone development? Uh, pass. Is it the end of the franchise? Not even remotely.

Disney + series though, have been the main positive force in mainstream media. Even though I wish a certain character to be brought back, even I admit that the series runners know what to do with the universe. They build upon characters and other minor story arcs, and do a great job in developing them without breaking anything.