Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerSpider View Post
    It's very funny to me that few are discussing the story (with good reason, it's thin and risible) but are instead discussing the letters page.

That in and of itself demonstrates that the run is not connecting with readers, regardless of Nick trying to do his best amateur magician impersonation ("Don't look at what my fingers are doing, just pay attention to what I say!"). The misdirection doesn't work for the amateur magician and it's not working for Nick, either.
    This is pretty much what always happens even when Paul and/or MJ don't even appear in the issue. Only a couple of people actually care what is happening in the comic so discussion is dominated by the Paul and/or MJ storyline. Especially if they get mentioned in the letters page.

I think there should be more to Spider-Man plots than his relationships, even if those should be important, though the promise of an attempt to sell people on Paul isn't very enticing.

I just found it funny how Wells keeps having characters go "that's cool" to Miles' new sword like Wells did at a panel with Ziglar but it also makes it stand out even more how Peter barely does cool stuff in his own book.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    This is pretty much what always happens even when Paul and/or MJ don't even appear in the issue. Only a couple of people actually care what is happening in the comic so discussion is dominated by the Paul and/or MJ storyline. Especially if they get mentioned in the letters page.
    yeahs its like 10% who care about the story while the other 90% only care about the mj and paul stuff
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    yeahs its like 10% who care about the story while the other 90% only care about the mj and paul stuff
    If the actual story was somewhat interesting that might not be the case. Hard to get exicited about unoriginal rehashes of old 80s storylines.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kurus View Post
    If the actual story was somewhat interesting that might not be the case. Hard to get exicited about unoriginal rehashes of old 80s storylines.
    Fair enough. Christopher Priest did the original Gang War quite spectacularly, and he did it in only six issues of one comic, as opposed to making it a sprawling crossover event. That said, this iteration might have fared somewhat better if not for the writer having already burned up so much goodwill with the fandom before this.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

I think the issue is just it's tonally more inconsistent than the original 80's Gang War (even acknowledging that story had fat suit DD posing as Kingpin) like a lot of Wells' run.

agree to disagree
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Amazing Member

Guess I'll say I'm loving this particular story. I also loved the first five issues and the big (attempted) Randy and Janice wedding issue so I'll be in the minority on this and say I'm more invested in the Robertsons and Lincolns then anything else in the book right now. Really enjoyed this.

Quote Originally Posted by MP95 View Post
    Guess I'll say I'm loving this particular story. I also loved the first five issues and the big (attempted) Randy and Janice wedding issue so I'll be in the minority on this and say I'm more invested in the Robertsons and Lincolns then anything else in the book right now. Really enjoyed this.
    Same. I’m loving the focus on the Lincoln’s and Robertson’s. I love seeing Peter as proactive, seeing White Rabbit and the shifting behind the scenes of the various leaders. A lot of the discussion on the board tends to be a little circular though so you can lose the discussion about the story.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by marvelprince View Post
    Same. I’m loving the focus on the Lincoln’s and Robertson’s. I love seeing Peter as proactive, seeing White Rabbit and the shifting behind the scenes of the various leaders. A lot of the discussion on the board tends to be a little circular though so you can lose the discussion about the story.
    Agreed! It's all pretty well balanced. The board has already started to clear in just the first part. I'm very intrigued to see what happens between Lonnie and Janice. Especially since Janice is getting even deeper into the life he never wanted her to be part of. There has been a lot in this run that I didn't agree with but so far everything with the Lincolns and Robertsons has felt like a natural evolution to what Nick Spencer started.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Been that way since the 70s. Everyone should be aware of the MJ factor.
    Join the "Spider-Fam" Community! - Celebrating Love and Advocating for Our Hero to Beat the Devil! - https://discord.gg/VQ2mHzBBFu

It at the very least feels like Wells is more invested in that than anything related to Peter in this run.
    Agreed! It's all pretty well balanced. The board has already started to clear in just the first part. I'm very intrigued to see what happens between Lonnie and Janice. Especially since Janice is getting even deeper into the life he never wanted her to be part of. There has been a lot in this run that I didn't agree with but so far everything with the Lincolns and Robertsons has felt like a natural evolution to what Nick Spencer started.
    Judging by future covers, a bad costume redesign is in Janice's future .

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Judging by future covers, a bad costume redesign is in Janice's future .
    It definitely feels very 90s!

I'm smacking my face now and realizing this forced conflict between Peter and Miles is just to set up Weisman's Spider-Men series.

Like Wells sets up a lot of the recent spinoffs in ASM and now suddenly there's tension between Peter and Miles so Peter can apologize, plan to be there more for Miles, and thus leading into their series where they're together...even if it just comes off a tad artificial and unnecessary the way they're doing it.
    It definitely feels very 90s!
    And not even fun 90's .

Mighty Member

My prediction. Miles will take Peter parkers place in asm after Wells.